British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   ozzie version of amazon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/ozzie-version-amazon-667584/)

mark wool May 10th 2010 10:50 am

ozzie version of amazon

I used Amazon a lot in the UK as it sells virtually everything at a really good price and with free delivery. They don't seem to deliver to Australia though. Anyone come across an Ozzie version of this?

Pollyana May 10th 2010 11:00 am

Re: ozzie version of amazon

Originally Posted by mark wool (Post 8554901)
I used Amazon a lot in the UK as it sells virtually everything at a really good price and with free delivery. They don't seem to deliver to Australia though. Anyone come across an Ozzie version of this?

They do deliver here! Certainly books, DVDs, CDs, though some of the electrical stuff I know they won't do, so it depends what you're buying.
There isn't an Aussie equivalent.....though I think it would do well if they opened one, judging by the number of times the question gets asked on here!

dave99 May 10th 2010 11:05 am

You can get the uk site to deliver but your best bet is to use the american site. I have bought stuff from there, most recently a kindle ebook reader and theres never been any problems delivering to aus. I still use the amazon uk site to deliver and wrap presents for people living in uk :p

Amazulu May 10th 2010 11:14 am

There is no Aussie version unfortunately. Amazon UK deliver books, CDs, DVDs to Australia. Amazon USA delivery more - some electronics for example.

galba May 10th 2010 12:01 pm

Last Christmas while searching for presents for the kids and OH I came across a few internet sites that do discount goods, obviously not the same as Amazon but home delivery was pretty fast.

www.crazysales.com.au
www.oo.com.au
www.factoryfast.com.au
www.dealsdirect.com.au

For books you can't go past: www.bookdepository.com

Cheetah7 May 10th 2010 12:40 pm

I get my UK favourite DVDs from Amazon UK and they deliver to oz. didn't have to wait too long either.

ozzieeagle May 10th 2010 12:49 pm

There is a Minnow in the lake :)

http://www.fishpond.com.au/

They do games and toys as well.

Check out the spiel.... ."all our prices are better than Amazon guaranteed"

lapin_windstar May 10th 2010 1:57 pm

Amazon is big in the UK partly because of price pressure from grey imports, VAT free sales from Jersey, cheap delivery and being in the EU (market ten times the size of Oz). None of that exists in Oz.

stuart.and.michelle May 10th 2010 4:07 pm

What kind of delivery costs are there for using amazon uk whilst in Oz? I know if you order in excess of £15 you get free deliveries in the uk.

Amazulu May 13th 2010 5:24 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 8555124)
There is a Minnow in the lake :)

http://www.fishpond.com.au/

They do games and toys as well.

Borders have recently announced the same scheme. There seems to be a catch in that it only applies to one book. As we know it is better to order multiple books from Amazon as the shipping costs get cheaper. Don't know how that would work with this scheme.

I was just in Borders and they are promoting their new Kobo e-reader. It looks good, probably not as good as the Kindle but they are selling it for $199, which is a pretty good price. I might get one.

Red_V_Roger May 13th 2010 5:59 am

I was recently pointed in the direction of www.thenile.com.au

It looks good, but I haven't ordered anything yet.

dave99 May 13th 2010 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 8562190)
I was just in Borders and they are promoting their new Kobo e-reader. It looks good, probably not as good as the Kindle but they are selling it for $199, which is a pretty good price. I might get one.

get the amazon one instead its great and is on its second generation. It has a great store behind it as well, you can buy a book and have it appear wirelessly within seconds. Or if you dont like to buy them you can get books or documents and transfer them yourself for free

Deancm May 13th 2010 8:38 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 8555124)

Not even close to being better than Amazon.

Sass73 May 13th 2010 9:12 am

We've always ordered from Amazon USA for books. I'll definitely check out some of the others though I have used OO.com.au for quite a few things and their service is great.

Pomster May 13th 2010 9:54 am

the bookdepository.com (also .co.uk) is good and offers prices incl delivery- so often cheaper here than Amazon.

And they deliver within a week- at least that has been my experience.