Ozzie Mortgages

Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:14 pm
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice
Default Ozzie Mortgages

Hi Folks,

I've done a search on mortgages to try to find out what circumstances are required to be able to apply but nothing seems to cover it completely, I have also tried some of the Banks like WestPac, hence this thread.

In the UK there is/was a general rule of thumb that you shouldn't really take on a mortgage more than 4 times your salary (has increased recently). You should also have been in steady employment for a certain period etc, etc

Can those that have purchased in Oz recently please provide some guidance on what sort of situation you need to be in to get a mortgage (are they referred to as home loans there?) ie: length of employment, deposit, gov assistance for FTB, maximum loan value……any feedback would be appreciated.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:44 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ozzie Mortgages

Hi Plug

Just got a home loan myself and these were my circumstances.

The bank (commonwealth) would not consider my wage as I was on 3 month probation at work. After those 3 months were up they were happy to consider my wage. They seem to lend you as much as they want we borrowed 4 x my partners wage which they were happy to do as long as we made a minimum 20% deposit. We got the home owners grant of 7k and reduced stamp duty which all helped.

It seemed a lot easy than I thought it would be.

TT

Originally Posted by Plug
Hi Folks,

I've done a search on mortgages to try to find out what circumstances are required to be able to apply but nothing seems to cover it completely, I have also tried some of the Banks like WestPac, hence this thread.

In the UK there is/was a general rule of thumb that you shouldn't really take on a mortgage more than 4 times your salary (has increased recently). You should also have been in steady employment for a certain period etc, etc

Can those that have purchased in Oz recently please provide some guidance on what sort of situation you need to be in to get a mortgage (are they referred to as home loans there?) ie: length of employment, deposit, gov assistance for FTB, maximum loan value……any feedback would be appreciated.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:27 pm
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

[QUOTE=TrickyTree]Hi Plug

Just got a home loan myself and these were my circumstances.

The bank (commonwealth) would not consider my wage as I was on 3 month probation at work. After those 3 months were up they were happy to consider my wage. They seem to lend you as much as they want we borrowed 4 x my partners wage which they were happy to do as long as we made a minimum 20% deposit. We got the home owners grant of 7k and reduced stamp duty which all helped.

It seemed a lot easy than I thought it would be.

Hi TT,

Thanks for the feedback, the 20% deposit sounds a bit heavy, is that standard? I think for the sort of place we want (with 3 kids and all) we will only be bringing enough for a 10% deposit. I guess it depends on circumstances etc....thanks for the response!

I hear the house sales are more like auctions out there - did you have to bid?
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:05 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can pay less of a deposit if you take out morgage insurance. I did this a few years ago with a house i bought 5 years ago in Oz. I Got my loan through Aussis, I had troubles getting a loan with the major banks as they would not take into account my overtime which was regular every week as I worked a 6 day week 99% of the time.
Jim
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:18 am
ABCDiamond

I hear the house sales are more like auctions out there - did you have to bid?
Lots of houses are sold in the traditional way through an real estate agent.

I've never tried an auction myself, and have bought 6 houses in Australia so far.

20% is the normal deposit required, but higher loans are available with the Mortgage Insurance mentioned by Jim.

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:17 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folks,

Rams do what they call a Low Doc mortgage..

If you have 35% deposit there is no proof of income required.