Reload this Page >

Ozzie Mortgage Salary Multiplier

Ozzie Mortgage Salary Multiplier

Old Apr 14th 2004, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Pompey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ozzie Mortgage Salary Multiplier

Hi Folks

Could anyone tell me what a mortgage lender will typically lend you as a multiplier of your salary in ozzie dollars?

Cheers

Phil
Old Apr 14th 2004, 12:21 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ozzie Mortgage Salary Multiplier

Originally posted by Pompey
Hi Folks

Could anyone tell me what a mortgage lender will typically lend you as a multiplier of your salary in ozzie dollars?

Cheers

Phil
Have been told by several different people that the mortgage companies don't really work on salary multiples in Auz. Instead that base what they lend you on what you can afford after general living expenses.

This may be wrong, but it's what I've been told by different people so would be good if somebody else could just confirm this.

Thanks.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 10:56 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by elksa
Have been told by several different people that the mortgage companies don't really work on salary multiples in Auz. Instead that base what they lend you on what you can afford after general living expenses.

This may be wrong, but it's what I've been told by different people so would be good if somebody else could just confirm this.

Thanks.
If you have the deposit the banks will lend you way more than you can afford in the knowledge that if you default there is plenty of capital left in the house.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 12:28 am
Just Joined

GoodwinFS is an unknown quantity at this point

The basis of most mortgage providers for property is that you have at least 10% deposit. In addition to this, they look at your free cash flow. they look at your current credit card limits. The key is to reduce your limit as they look at the maximum you can draw from it and use is as a basis of your normal spending habits. They also look at other assets you might have, but it is usually worked out on your free cashflow after tax and whether the property is being rented or owner occupied.

To give you an idea, there is a calculator online at:

http://hlc1.westpac.com.au/hlc/hlc/Splash.do

This should help you out. Note: In some cases there are duties to be paid on buying a place, so you will need these saved up before you buy.

George
[email protected]

Originally posted by bondipom
If you have the deposit the banks will lend you way more than you can afford in the knowledge that if you default there is plenty of capital left in the house.