Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ozzie attitude to Brits

Ozzie attitude to Brits

Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ozzie attitude to Brits

Originally Posted by brissybound
I was out on a stag do with 12 Aussies and unfortunately most of them were a nightmare.

Really arrogant and constatntly trying to offend, without the humour to back it up.

When we started to slag them back a few of them got really aggresive, we thought it might come to blows.

Its just an unfortaunate thing about Aussie male culture, god knows Glasgow had its fair share of twats when you were out.

Its a shame, because i love the way Aussies are straight up and down, no lies in them. The best friend ive made here so far is an Aussie, it was his stag do, and he totally agrees. he didnt want us to meet some of his friends because they could be so cringeworthy when drunk.

I guess my point is theres good and bad everywhere, its part and parcel of going out drinking which is a shame.

I have to agree though ive experienced very little trouble in Brisbane, with the exception of being called a "Scottish Dickhead" by a rugby player in Indroopilly. This guy was huge, which is lucky for him!
i can't say i've ever experienced this yet
but then again i do have that "hard" look about me, and combined with my chavvy accent maybe some wannabe hard aussies don't risk it
to be honest i wish more aussies would take the piss out of me, just so i can do it back
thats what i miss about the uk - the piss taking humour
maybe it's cos i'm in sydney
GC sounds like a lot of fun to me, but thewn again from what i've heard i can just picture myself in a typical "pommy football hooligan style" brawl
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by northerner
GC is bogan central - it's like a black hole or something which draws them all in.

new sport
bogans v english football hooligans

wouldn't that be funny?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carzinoz
I was delivering Avon to a customer one evening. She wasn't in but her mate drove up, come to visit her on the off chance she'd be there. She tried to call my customer from her car to leave a message....."I'm here to visit you" she says "and there's a woman here with your take-away". "It's Avon" I said....she glances at me, then speaks in to the moby again..."it's Evonne with your take-away". LOL

It's less funny when people stare at me blankly, not a clue what I'm saying....makes me feel like I'm from outer space he he
thats why aussies have the "dimwit" stereotype
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Interesting question. I havent had anyone have a go at me because I am a Pom (they wouldnt want to, either) and I generally dont frequent places where people get totally pickled.

However, just yesterday morning I was having coffee in a little cafe in rural Victoria and a group of blokes were having a very loud discussion about their origins (so loud that everyone in the cafe was aware of their heritage) and one of them said he was Australian with some Irish and Italian - and "maybe a little bit of Pom but I wouldnt own up to that". Nah nah, they all said, "[we're] Australian, I wouldnt admit to being a Pom either" but then one did admit that his parents came over as L10 Poms. So, whilst no one has ever said it to my face, the groundswell of opinion in some places especially (and I wont be considering buying real estate down there then!) is that Pom is akin to a dirty word. Interesting.
in a lot of ways the english are a lot more frank and outspoken, maybe not in the old days but defenitely now than the aussies(hence the sometimes lame whinger label)
the aussies generally more often keep things more to themselves, and slag off poms on the internet, or in the newspapers
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gav_71
Interesting responses! Seems beer is the main cause! Incidentally, for the dude who asked, I was at the Coolangatta Hotel the last time it happened! The band might have attracted a younger (sillier) crowd perhaps!

Just starting to get the impression that a lot of Ozzies lose sense and reason and become offensive tw*ts when oiled up!! I suppose the same can be said of Brits though. Its no big deal really, I guess it just surprised me having been treated so amicably while out in Brisbane and in non social situations here on the coast!

Gav
i have to say that these days the brits generally speaking are a lot worse when drunk, altho not in the context of "aussies" as most brits don't even think about them, but in other ways
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz
We live in Robina on the gold coast and it's a great place to live.
Don't generalise.. perhaps you should be referring to surfers not the gold coast.
i find that quite suprising
i did'nt know surfers were the yobbo type
abbos,islanders,lebs but not surfers
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cockney pommy
i find that quite suprising
i did'nt know surfers were the yobbo type
abbos,islanders,lebs but not surfers
Can you please avoid using terms which many people consider to be offensive.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:07 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Is it offensive though?

I was really taken aback when I first moved here as someone I met referred to themselves a a "wog"

I was gobsmacked and informed them I found this term offensive and was surprised they used it about themself

I was told in no uncertain terms I was being overly sensitive, too politically correct and that calling themself a "wog" was OK - cos that was what they considerd they were

Since that time I've heard people refer to themsleves using all sorts of terms I would find unsavoury, yet they are more offended when I mention it. I never use the terms as I would feel uncomfortable, but they do and seem proud of it. So why do we make such a big deal if it's not meant as rude?
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The only word amongst that lot that could be considered offensive by Melburnians, would be the term for aboriginals. They dont like the abbreviation and have made their protest loud and clear. As for the rest, the respective cultural groups all use those terms about themselves. BTW the term for Aboriginals is supposed to be Kooris

Could be different in different states though.

Only problem I ever had with Ozzies towards poms attitudes, was when I first got here back in 1980, and only in country Victoria and NSW, amongst the much older generation.

Actually had a interesting incident on my last trip to Port Macquarie, with someone that I suspect was a red neck Queenslander, who insisted I was a Mexican because of my Victorian number plate.... Totally overlooked my UK accent, and insisted on pointing out the Victorian aspect.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Gav_71
Interesting responses! Seems beer is the main cause! Incidentally, for the dude who asked, I was at the Coolangatta Hotel the last time it happened!
A newspaper article about the "A LIST of the 100 most-violent pubs and clubs" quoted: "recent refurbishments to the Coolangatta Hotel and the Coolangatta Sands Hotel had lifted the calibre of the venues" and "The Cooly Hotel have really lifted their game".

Maybe they haven't changed enough yet ?

Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Is it offensive though?

I was really taken aback when I first moved here as someone I met referred to themselves a a "wog"
?
Probably no worse than either being called or referring to yourself as a POM.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Is it offensive though?

I was gobsmacked and informed them I found this term offensive and was surprised they used it about themself

I was told in no uncertain terms I was being overly sensitive, too politically correct and that calling themself a "wog" was OK - cos that was what they considerd they were

Since that time I've heard people refer to themsleves using all sorts of terms I would find unsavoury, yet they are more offended when I mention it. I never use the terms as I would feel uncomfortable, but they do and seem proud of it. So why do we make such a big deal if it's not meant as rude?
Yeah i've been told the same thing many times, i guess it's all that PC we've been taught. I saw a Aus book in a store about football (soccer) called Sheilas, wogs and poofters my jaw nearly hit the floor.http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/produc...oductid=599821
Old Sep 9th 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

i get called a pom (and some silly poms find that offensive), but i don't
it's no different to the above terms
they're only shortened words
Old Sep 9th 2008, 2:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Fine. If you guys wish to continue using terms such as those above, thats up to you. I am just warning you that when they have been used in the past, especially "abbos" we have had a stream of reports and complaints. I didn't want to single out that one term, I didn't think it was necessay to be so specific.

Obviously things have changed and the forum in general is now prepared to accept the term "abbo" as no longer being offensive.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 2:12 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Fine. If you guys wish to continue using terms such as those above, thats up to you. I am just warning you that when they have been used in the past, especially "abbos" we have had a stream of reports and complaints. I didn't want to single out that one term, I didn't think it was necessay to be so specific.

Obviously things have changed and the forum in general is now prepared to accept the term "abbo" as no longer being offensive.
No, Polly, I think you're wrong there. It's only a couple of posters who are not offended by what a group of people (Australian Aboriginals) find offensive.

It's NOT fine to use offensive language or racial slurs on BE. Any more of it and this thread will be closed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.