Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ozzie attitude to Brits

Ozzie attitude to Brits

Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:55 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ozzie attitude to Brits

Originally Posted by carzinoz
I was delivering Avon to a customer one evening. She wasn't in but her mate drove up, come to visit her on the off chance she'd be there. She tried to call my customer from her car to leave a message....."I'm here to visit you" she says "and there's a woman here with your take-away". "It's Avon" I said....she glances at me, then speaks in to the moby again..."it's Evonne with your take-away". LOL

It's less funny when people stare at me blankly, not a clue what I'm saying....makes me feel like I'm from outer space he he

VERY funny post
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think its just Brits or other migrants I think its booze and too much of it and out of control people. We had a guy killed overnight in Melbourne and another one jugular slashed. What is wrong with people. Not only are the victims lives ruined but so are the perpetrators.

I always worried and still do when my son goes out and he is single and 30 now.

A friend of his got king hit from behind in the pub one night no reason, just standing at the bar having a drink, got brain damage and took him a long while to get his life back on track.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting question. I havent had anyone have a go at me because I am a Pom (they wouldnt want to, either) and I generally dont frequent places where people get totally pickled.

However, just yesterday morning I was having coffee in a little cafe in rural Victoria and a group of blokes were having a very loud discussion about their origins (so loud that everyone in the cafe was aware of their heritage) and one of them said he was Australian with some Irish and Italian - and "maybe a little bit of Pom but I wouldnt own up to that". Nah nah, they all said, "[we're] Australian, I wouldnt admit to being a Pom either" but then one did admit that his parents came over as L10 Poms. So, whilst no one has ever said it to my face, the groundswell of opinion in some places especially (and I wont be considering buying real estate down there then!) is that Pom is akin to a dirty word. Interesting.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

onceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to all

Must be honest, we've never had a problem, but then we're not out drinking in bars that often. Mainly cos we can't stand Aussie pubs, however people on the whole really like our accents, my wife gets people telling her how much they like her accent. Same with the kids in school. The only hassle I ever get is with people telling me I'm speaking too quickly, particularly when I've had a drink. I tell them that it's not me speaking too quickly, but that they're listening too slowly. They all laugh, in a 'I think I've just been insulted but I'm not sure' kind of way. Am hoping the GC influence doesn't spread too quickly down to northern NSW though.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Gav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to all

Interesting responses! Seems beer is the main cause! Incidentally, for the dude who asked, I was at the Coolangatta Hotel the last time it happened! The band might have attracted a younger (sillier) crowd perhaps!

Just starting to get the impression that a lot of Ozzies lose sense and reason and become offensive tw*ts when oiled up!! I suppose the same can be said of Brits though. Its no big deal really, I guess it just surprised me having been treated so amicably while out in Brisbane and in non social situations here on the coast!

Gav
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northerner
GC is bogan central - it's like a black hole or something which draws them all in.

We live in Robina on the gold coast and it's a great place to live.
Don't generalise.. perhaps you should be referring to surfers not the gold coast.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:01 am
HUN skelper

magic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by quoll
Interesting question. I havent had anyone have a go at me because I am a Pom (they wouldnt want to, either) and I generally dont frequent places where people get totally pickled.

However, just yesterday morning I was having coffee in a little cafe in rural Victoria and a group of blokes were having a very loud discussion about their origins (so loud that everyone in the cafe was aware of their heritage) and one of them said he was Australian with some Irish and Italian - and "maybe a little bit of Pom but I wouldnt own up to that". Nah nah, they all said, "[we're] Australian, I wouldnt admit to being a Pom either" but then one did admit that his parents came over as L10 Poms. So, whilst no one has ever said it to my face, the groundswell of opinion in some places especially (and I wont be considering buying real estate down there then!) is that Pom is akin to a dirty word. Interesting.
Quoll the aussies i know would call the 4 aus fellas in the cafe MEXICANS.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Roo1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bu1lder
GOD what am i gonna do with my BAAAAAAARNSLEY accent?

You'll be fine. I'm from Bolllllllton. People pick on my son's thick accent and love it when he says Mumi. They often try to imitate but it often sounds scottish to me!
Judi
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:09 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
I think Gav's the pretty boy on the right.
I was right to have my doubts about you
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:18 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
You meet bell-ends everywhere. Biggest set-to I ever had was in a bar in New York. Third generation 'Irishman' heard my accent and started bigging up the IRA, giving it the old Bobby Sands eulogy. He got in my face, slagged off the English etc - despite the fact that the closest he'd clearly ever got to a real Irish experience was dyeing his hairpiece green and wearing a shamrock t-shirt on St Paddys day ...
Used to be that if you were silly enough to go into just about any bar East of Fifth in the Apple you'd not be there more than five minutes before being "invited" to drop $5 into a bucket wielded by a thickset Irish American - for charitable Irish causes, natch.

Refusal would mean a nervous run back to the hotel <g>.

Never seen anything like that here.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:24 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz
We live on the gold coast and it's a great place to live.
Don't generalise.. perhaps you should be referring to surfers not the gold coast.
Just what I was thinking too!! C x
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magic.no7
Quoll the aussies i know would call the 4 aus fellas in the cafe MEXICANS.
LOL, they were but I was trying to be non judgemental
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
The only time I can recall a problem in Aus was years go (94) in a nightclub in Surfers. This pissed up twat told me to bugger off back home or words to that effect. By the time I'd finished with him (being a pissed up twat myself), he was apologising profusely
any time

Originally Posted by Dave_Kent
I don't think it's you. I think it's the Gold Coast/Surfers - it's like the Aussie equivalent of Blackpool or Southend (bit prettier of course
It's a real melting pot Surfers!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It's a real melting pot Surfers!
Very diplomatic Badge. Bloody horrible place IMHO.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Very diplomatic Badge. Bloody horrible place IMHO.
Melting pot of degenerates and drunks...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.