Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ozforex vs. HiFX (read the small print!)

Ozforex vs. HiFX (read the small print!)

Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

rob&kim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ozforex vs. HiFX (read the small print!)

Originally Posted by Eltoro
Yes, thumbs up from us too for Ozforex, we have done three transfers and had 100% excellent service every time.

Just wish the B****y rate would go :curse:up so that we can use them again
Just changing the subject slightly - and this is probably a thread all of its own, but does anyone know whether one should notify the Australian Tax Office when one receives ones life savings into one's bank account?
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:37 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rob&kim
Just changing the subject slightly - and this is probably a thread all of its own, but does anyone know whether one should notify the Australian Tax Office when one receives ones life savings into one's bank account?
well when I spoke to the ATO earlier, they just told me I had to declare any interest earnt on my tax return form next year. But each case may be different. Give the ATO a call - 0061 2 6216 1111 they will call you straight back if they know you are overseas.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

If they are your savings why would the tax office be interested in them, it's your money. They will be interested in the interest they incur though
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

rob&kim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by C&R
well when I spoke to the ATO earlier, they just told me I had to declare any interest earnt on my tax return form next year. But each case may be different. Give the ATO a call - 0061 2 6216 1111 they will call you straight back if they know you are overseas.
Thanks for that - i will try it.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 7:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well we didn't. It's got nothing to do with them, you paid all the tax relevant to your life savings in the UK. They'll find out for themselves when you open up an Aussie bank account with shedloads (perhaps) of money in it and then in any tax returns you make if you mention it.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 9:07 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark213
Both unfortunately cant/wont give advice or at least give a speculative opinion as to where rates are possibly going with the forcasted news on the horizon. They all refer you to charts which we all know are historical and no indication of what will happen. A little more off the cuff "information" would be nice - and yes put some clause that we wont sue you for getting it wrong....!
They gave me the winning lottery numbers
But the draw had already taken place

It's not at all appropriate for them to give you off the cuff information.
Imagine the who-ha that would cause with disgruntled clients.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 9:11 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Used Ozforex to send lump sums to the UK when I had a mortgage to pay over there.

Used them again to bring back the sales proceeds.

Dealt with both UK and Aus offices.

Verdict = perfick
Old Jun 15th 2007, 9:16 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Used Ozforex to send lump sums to the UK when I had a mortgage to pay over there.

Used them again to bring back the sales proceeds.

Dealt with both UK and Aus offices.

Verdict = perfick
I like them too, Bix, because they are easy to use and there are no hassles. And I shall use them for small amounts. But I wanted people to be aware that *if* the company itself went belly-up any money of yours they happen to have at that point will not be as safe as if it had been in a client account.

Also: It seems that under Australian regulations it is not required to run a client account. But setting up a segregated pooled client account is really no hassle. One therefore has to wonder wy Ozforex haven't bothered.

Gina
Old Jun 15th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

God now I'm really confused. Was going to use ozforex - now not sure if I should go with hifx as I'll be transferring the proceeds of my house sale and as stated it's a lot of money to subject to even the tiniest risk!

By the way when is the rate going to rise again

Olias
Old Jun 15th 2007, 10:40 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Olias
God now I'm really confused. Was going to use ozforex - now not sure if I should go with hifx as I'll be transferring the proceeds of my house sale and as stated it's a lot of money to subject to even the tiniest risk!

Olias
Divide and transfer in smaller amounts if you want extra security.

Oh, and the rate will rise 4 days after you transfer
Old Jun 15th 2007, 11:15 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mgilmour
Naturally we are keen to respond and highlight the safety of using OzForex. The comments below with repect to the UK are general in nature.

:: Regulation:

Australia is fully regulated for foregn exchange where the UK is not. In the UK absolutely anybody can open a forex business without any financial regulatory oversight.

The UK has the FSA which is equivalent to ASIC in Australia. As far as I know none of brokers in the UK are regulated by the FSA. The HMRC in the UK (which UK operators must register with) only checks money laundering compliance and does not police financial security, training, insurance, etc.

ASIC in Australia requires that we meet minimum captial requirements like a bank, requires that we submit audited financials, ensure staff undergo significant and ongoing training among many other requirements. It's extremely onerous to comply with which is why there are very few independent forex providers in Australia, where in the UK there are literally 100s.

So if you choose a UK provider they are not regulated (except for money laundering), if you choose an Australian provider they are fully regulated. If a UK provider has an Australian office, that office may be regulated but the parent company is probably not.

:: Insurance:

OzForex carries very high levels of insurance for "Professional Indemnity" and "Crime". This protects our company (and your funds) against fraud and many other risks. This is not required in the UK (because its not regulated) but is required in Australia.

:: Ownership:

There will be announcement later today about OzForex that will make even the most cautious BE member feel OzForex is by far the safest of non-bank providers. I will post a part two to this response ASAP.

I know HIFX to be reputable so I am not saying they are unsafe, I am just saying we are safe as well even though the businesses run in different regulatory environments. Thanks for listening and happy to respond to any questions.

Kind regards,
Matt Gilmour
Managing Director
We are very happy with the service that we have received to date from Ozforex. We seem to have been given a much better margin compared with HIFX which would benefit us to the tune of $1000+. Also, A HIFX representative was supposed to call us with details of a contract whereby you can hold the rate at a specific time, still waiting for the call 4 weeks later. With Ozforex you can get a quote on what rate/amount you will get at any time and then you can do the deal yourself when ready. To my knowledge you can't do this with HIFX, you have to ring them and be given an amount at that time and it seems that some agents give better margins than others. Not being pedantic, just my experience.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olias

Olias

You wouldn't be normal if you didn't worry about your money getting here. Ours was here within 12 hours

The rate will rise as soon as you transfer
Old Jun 15th 2007, 11:20 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bix
Divide and transfer in smaller amounts if you want extra security.

Oh, and the rate will rise 4 days after you transfer
I was going to transfer today but will now wait 4 days
Old Jun 15th 2007, 11:25 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Old Jun 15th 2007, 1:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can't comment on HIFX, but I've been using Tranzfers - the part of Forex that deals with smaller amounts for at least 5 years now with absolutley no problems.

To the poster that said they had trouble getting a response - phone them, or contact mgilmour through the forum.

To everyone else - it takes 24-48 hours to transfer your cash. If you carry it in cash in your pocket you could lose it all en route in that time. I'm talking personally, not as a Mod now, but I'd feel far more secure moving ANY amount of money with Ozforex rather than carrying a pile of $ or £ in my pocket! Nothing in life is 100% risk free, and this is as good as you'll get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.