Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz - year in high school & kids age???

Oz - year in high school & kids age???

Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Gothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant future
Question Oz - year in high school & kids age???

hi

Just wondered how the school year works out here in Oz. My son who was 13 in May, has been put into year 8, but all his friends seem to be turning 14.
Just wondered those who are over here now, what year your kids are in and when their b'days are?

Thanks

Gothchick
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Oz - year in high school & kids age???

Originally Posted by Gothchick
hi

Just wondered how the school year works out here in Oz. My son who was 13 in May, has been put into year 8, but all his friends seem to be turning 14.
Just wondered those who are over here now, what year your kids are in and when their b'days are?

Thanks

Gothchick
Sounds about right...........My jake was 16 in May, and he is year 11
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Sounds about right...........My jake was 16 in May, and he is year 11
Ive got no idea what school year my three go into when they get to Oz, I have one 12years last Feb, 11years last March, and 10 last Dec. could anyone let me know what years they would be in, and also when ive been looking at school websites Ive no idea if I should be looking at High schools or what.
thanks
Sam x
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

hi

Thanks

Gothchick
In NSW, the official age for Year 8 kids now (as at June 2007) will be 12 years and 11 months (the youngest in the year and those that just made the July 31st birthday cutoff to start school) thru to 13 years and 11 months.

In practice you will also get kids, in Year 8, up to 14 and a half. These have parents who kept them back when they started school so they avoided being the youngest in the year which is a very common practice here.

Last edited by NickyC; Jun 27th 2007 at 11:48 am.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 12:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

When we arrived (QLD) my eldest was 13. We arrived late November so she didn't start school until the January. Here High School starts in year 8. Because she had already turned 13 technically she should have gone into year 9 but because the move distressed her so much and because she was only just a little older the year group, they and we wanted her in year 8 to start with everyone else. It's worked well.

They are not so uptight about the child's age in relation to the school year group here. They are (from my experience) more interested in making sure the child is in the best year educationally and emotionally. There is no stigma in staying down a year and no major whoopy doo in moving up a year.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

The Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to all

Can i have a little help please

1 child was 14 last april

1 child was 11 last march

1 child was 7 last september

what year will they bein, i know secondary school starts in year 8

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:45 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

hi

Thanks

Gothchick
My daughter turns 13 in July and is in year 8...

Maybe some of his friends were put back an year?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

My son was 13 on 1st August last year and will be in year 8 when he starts in a couple of weeks - he will be the oldest within the usual age range for that year. Before we left the UK he was one of the youngest kids in year 9 in the UK. In NSW kids can start school in January if they are already 5 or will turn 5 before the 31st July so you can work it out from there. They don't have to start until they are 6 if you don't want them to.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

HJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Brooks
Can i have a little help please

1 child was 14 last april

1 child was 11 last march

1 child was 7 last september

what year will they bein, i know secondary school starts in year 8

Thanks in advance
Hi there, for Perth the general rule is as follows.

Year 7 (primary) if they fall 12 in that year
Year 8 (high) if they fall 13 " " "" ""
Year 9 if they fall 14
Year 10 if they fall 15

However, you are able to put your child in a lower year if for example their birthday falls towards the end of the year. However, for example, my daughter is 14 and turns 15 at the end of December so is the youngest in her year but she is academic so is coping with year 10. However there are some British kids who are the same age that are in the year below. Really depends on your child and if you feel they are better with younger/same age or older/same age.

Hope this helps.

NB Different states to Perth have different ages for year groups.

Helen
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Gothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant future

hi

thanks for all your replys, have really helped.

Gothchick
Old Jun 28th 2007, 4:28 am
Just Joined

Pippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant future

Which state will you be in? Each state here operates like a separate country and has different rules!
Here in Victoria you have to be 5 by 30 April to start school at the end of January (you go into prep) Then 6 by 30 April to start year 1 ............
However there is a trend to start children later and you will find a lot of kids with birthdays between January and April wait until the next school year.
My eldest turned 13 in April and is in year 7
My next was 10 in January and is in year 4
Other not at school yet!
Confused?