Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OZ world's no.1 holiday destination

OZ world's no.1 holiday destination

Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: OZ world's no.1 holiday destination

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
That just goes to show how little you know me. Just because I don't subscribe to a tabloid-inspired, tub-thumping, hand-on-heart "Long live the British Empire" view of this country, doesn't mean I don't like it. Sure, there are some things which drive me up the wall, but it was the same back home in Australia. And although I was born and raised in WA and loved it, I would never live there again.

In case you didn't know, I'm actually half-English. My father was a Pom, as was my maternal grandfather; I have British citizenship, and I have a British passport. So I have a lot of historical and familial links here.

Why do you think I came over in the first place?
You are entitled then.My children all have British citzenship and they are entitled too including their historical and family links this I understand
Old Dec 21st 2006, 5:46 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Not very interested in the thread because I actually couldn't give a monkey's where other people go on holiday or where the information comes from, but I am mildly amused to see that you are doing exactly what you complain about others doing to your threads.
Of course, but for those that seemed to have had a sense of humour bypass or clearly have lived here way too long, IT WAS A JOKE! I would have thought that my common knowledge dislike of bunkem hyperlink sourcing would have made sure everyone knew it was a joke. clearly not.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 6:17 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
My apologies. 2006 available here. Australia still #1, receiving 10% of the vote. Nearest competitor was Italy, with 6.3%.
Well, by the time I had got to page 6 it had already confessed to being biased towards English speaking people and towards the young...

And there's a load of other stuff in there to question as well...

And the question was '"Question: What is your favourite country (of the countries you’ve visited)?"

But interesting nonetheless...
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Of course, but for those that seemed to have had a sense of humour bypass or clearly have lived here way too long, IT WAS A JOKE! I would have thought that my common knowledge dislike of bunkem hyperlink sourcing would have made sure everyone knew it was a joke. clearly not.
In possibly much the same way people respond to your threads. Humour is so obviously a personal thing
Old Dec 21st 2006, 8:24 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

In possibly much the same way people respond to your threads. Humour is so obviously a personal thing
Sure is, and today no amount of Australia or people defending it can rile me up. Must have something to do with my current de-hydrated state after digging a 7 foot deep hole to fix another leak.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 8:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure is, and today no amount of Australia or people defending it can rile me up. Must have something to do with my current de-hydrated state after digging a 7 foot deep hole to fix another leak.
I had to go to a large shopping centre with a teenager. I think I would have preferred to dig the hole
Old Dec 21st 2006, 8:29 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

I had to go to a large shopping centre with a teenager. I think I would have preferred to dig the hole
I think for once we are in agreement, for I too would have much prefured you to come and dig my hole, I've got a blinding head now, either lack of liquid or poisened from a ton of Aeroguard.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 8:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

I think for once we are in agreement, for I too would have much prefured you to come and dig my hole, I've got a blinding head now, either lack of liquid or poisened from a ton of Aeroguard.
It's certainly stuffed up your spelling If it's lack of liquid - you're a silly boy. If it's the Aeroguard - my sympathies. I prefer the smell of "Off" and find it works better.

Hope the head clears soon.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 9:19 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

It's certainly stuffed up your spelling If it's lack of liquid - you're a silly boy. If it's the Aeroguard - my sympathies. I prefer the smell of "Off" and find it works better.

Hope the head clears soon.
Well, I'm not one to run out of liquid normally but this time I did something different that might have been a mistake. I had a glass of orange squash mixed with diet lemonade instead of my usual water. It tasted so much better that for the duration of the digging I drank that mix instead. I now think that somehow diet lemonade doesn't have the same hydration properties of my usual water. Something to watch for just in case.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 9:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Well, I'm not one to run out of liquid normally but this time I did something different that might have been a mistake. I had a glass of orange squash mixed with diet lemonade instead of my usual water. It tasted so much better that for the duration of the digging I drank that mix instead. I now think that somehow diet lemonade doesn't have the same hydration properties of my usual water. Something to watch for just in case.
Diet drinks are not a good idea. I can't drink any that have Aspartamine in - I get an immediate headache. That together with the carbonated water would have probably dehydrated you rather than hydrating. If you are going to drink carbonated, stick to full fat proper stuff and limit the amount you have. Same with squash. - Not an expert or even know this for a fact except in my case. There has been some research into aspartamine which doesn't look good.

On the other hand, the diet drink you had may have had a different sugar replacement in it. Not convinced about any of them.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 9:45 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Diet drinks are not a good idea. I can't drink any that have Aspartamine in - I get an immediate headache. That together with the carbonated water would have probably dehydrated you rather than hydrating. If you are going to drink carbonated, stick to full fat proper stuff and limit the amount you have. Same with squash. - Not an expert or even know this for a fact except in my case. There has been some research into aspartamine which doesn't look good.

On the other hand, the diet drink you had may have had a different sugar replacement in it. Not convinced about any of them.
Nor me, you live and learn. Water outside from now on just in case.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Nor me, you live and learn. Water outside from now on just in case.
Yeah - you can't beat water for rehydration.

As Capt Mainwaring used to say:

''Silly boy!'......
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:57 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

The controversy about aspartame was actually featured on today tonight in Perth the other night. There is no proven link to it being a health problem and this is why it continues to have the approval of the ANZFDA. You migh though have an allergy to something in diet drinks if you get headaches after drinking them. Carbonated water is not soda water or mineral water. True carbonated water has no added sodium or other properties other than CO2.

Plain tap water (filtered) or spring water are the best choices and thirst is a good indicator of the need to consume it. In a hot climate you can lose water and minerals without even noticably sweating, which is why thirst should never be ignored.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 11:01 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Probably dehydration and a low blood sugar count. Some cordial and a mars bar should fix it
Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
The controversy about aspartame was actually featured on today tonight in Perth the other night. There is no proven link to it being a health problem and this is why it continues to have the approval of the ANZFDA. You migh though have an allergy to something in diet drinks if you get headaches after drinking them. Carbonated water is not soda water or mineral water. True carbonated water has no added sodium or other properties other than CO2.

Plain tap water (filtered) or spring water are the best choices and thirst is a good indicator of the need to consume it. In a hot climate you can lose water and minerals without even noticably sweating, which is why thirst should never be ignored.
There are constant studies going on about the stuff all over the world and the jury is still out. I said that my body doesn't like it and it gives me headaches - that would be the "something" in diet drinks that I appear to have an allegy to . It is a known fact that carbonated water does not hydrate as well as plain water which was why I said what I did to Arkon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.