Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz work culture- backstabbing?

Oz work culture- backstabbing?

Old Sep 19th 2003, 9:32 am
ozduffs

Default Oz work culture- backstabbing?

Hi everyone

Have any expats found that there is a different work culture in Australia?

We moved here from the UK earlier this year. My wife is a nurse, and she found it surprising that, whereas in the UK, nurses seemed to stick together and be supportive, here they are often sniping at each other, and running off to the manager to tell tales.

I started working at a factory recently, and blow me if I didn't find the same thing. There is very little camaraderie among the workers, and they are often being critical of each other, and again running off to the boss.

This is nothing to do with us being Brits, as we have both made friends and fitted in well. It is the Aussies doing being nasty to each other which I have been surprised at.

I was wondering- is this ususual, or this is the norm here?

Old Sep 19th 2003, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oz work culture- backstabbing?

Originally posted by ozduffs
Hi everyone

We moved here from the UK earlier this year. My wife is a nurse, and she found it surprising that, whereas in the UK, nurses seemed to stick together and be supportive, here they are often sniping at each other, and running off to the manager to tell tales.

I started working at a factory recently, and blow me if I didn't find the same thing. There is very little camaraderie among the workers, and they are often being critical of each other, and again running off to the boss.

This is nothing to do with us being Brits, as we have both made friends and fitted in well. It is the Aussies doing being nasty to each other which I have been surprised at.

Very bitchy, 3 days into my first job here, barmaid, two old hags got together and said I was handing my mates money from the till! Whipped out my passport which showed as I had been in the damn country 3 days it was unlikely I knew anyone to hand money too. Boss was great, saw right through it, just pom haters.

I would say tho, very bitchy in general and that includes blokes.
Low wages and long hours dont breed happiness.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 9:42 am
WBB

Originally posted by ozduffs
Hi everyone

funny you should say that, an aussie started work with us about 6 months ago and i found that once he had settled in he became a regular little brown nose, grassing us up to the boss for petty things, and the best part was the boss would tell us what we were being grassed up for.!!!

dont know if this is the norm, but it is a coincidence to say the least.

Old Sep 19th 2003, 10:10 am
ozduffs

Maybe it is the norm here then.

Guess I'll just have to make sure none of my work mates are looking when I nick the office stationery in future.

Old Sep 19th 2003, 10:21 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Come across one or two I can remember. Unfortunately, Aus English does not have an adequate vocabulary for discussing it apart from calling someone a "weasel" - someone seeking to secretly undermine another for their own aggrandizement - hardly an adequate condemnation.

"Brown nosing" I think means the same in Aus - obsequiousness.

"Grassed up" - rarely if ever used - means "informed on"?

Does Brit English have any more powerful words of derision than "weasel"?

Suggest you chew out the weasels with a well aimed venomous vocabulary - suspect they will at least respect you more - judge the strength of the blow required carefully.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

sydneybound is an unknown quantity at this point

C'mon you lot.... A little less Sterotyping needed here I think......

People are people the world over, Australia is akin to 'bitchyness' in the same way that the uk / the rest of the world is..... It takes all sorts.

I've worked in jobs in the uk with loads of narrow minded people who sit around all day gossiping / bitching, I'm also work in great teams where everyone just gets on and has fun.

If you dont like the bitchyness @ work, get another job, you dont like bitchyness in your social circles, move in different circles.

If I had to impress a sweeping statement, I'd actually say that the friends I have made whilst visiting Oz actually seemed more positive / upbeat about life in general that the UK counterparts, people seem more 'content' with their lot in Oz and LESS inclined to Bitch.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:15 am
Just Joined

GOGGLE is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve worked with many Aussies over the years in the UK (there’s one sitting across the desk from me now) and to a man and woman I’ve found them great to get on with. They all work and play hard. I’ve never found any evidence of backstabbing. I’ve done some freelance work for Australian companies and have joined the professional association for Australian illustrators and cartoonists and have recieved nothing but a warm welcome and as much help as I need.

When I was in Australia last time I visited some propective employers/clients and got a very positive reaction. I sure it’s different when you live in a country but at present I have a very good impression and am looking forward to working in Oz.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:27 am
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

I've worked in the manufacturing industry for a fair few years, working for both TRW and Toyota.

I have worked on the shop floor, fork lift driver, CNC machine operator and am at present a shift supervisor.

No matter which role I have ever undertaken, I have always come accross people who will stab you in the back if it suits them, colour, nationality, size, colour of hair........the list is endless......i'm afraid thats just people in general......

I find that as long as you treat people how you would like to be treated, then generally you will get it back.

Of course, there will always be the exceptions.

As an Englishman living in Wales for many years, I could probably count on one hand people who REALLY hate the English, whereas most of them Just hate us on matchday during the rugby!

I haven't worked in Australia yet.....thats something that is actually playing on my mind, but, from my previous experiances.......I'd say, dont take no shit. Stand up for yourself and confront anyone who wants cause trouble for you, at least that way, they will be aware that you are watching them.

All the best
(I don't know if i've just given you advice......or myself!) LOL
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

i cannot comment on working in Oz as i have not yet done so. But people are 'bitchy' anywhere where you are new. Also we are also 'different' so thats probably another factor which leads to 'being excluded and therfore grassed upon'. From what I have heard from ozzies who come here to work ( and take our jobs !!) they seem to think we dont work as hard as them ( specifically in my work sector) which scares me as i think i work hard here so when i get there i will be very knackered.....
hmmmm interesting.....
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:35 am
WBB

Originally posted by BrisbaneBrummie

As an Englishman living in Wales for many years, I could probably count on one hand people who REALLY hate the English, whereas most of them Just hate us on matchday during the rugby!

fair enough at the moment your rugby team is probably the second best in the world (after the all blacks), but mark hughes men would give england a good test and it would be a good game.

and as for me personally i like the english , although i couldnt eat a whole one.

Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:53 am
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about

In 5 years working there never experienced it any more than was rife in UK workplaces, however did find the "Tall Poppy Syndrome" a very Ozzie thing.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 12:15 pm
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL @ Welshboy!!!

Hmmm.....think the English Rugby team is the best in the world at the moment......but the football team......yep, I think Wales would give them more than just a good game. Hope Wales qualify for Portugal next year!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 12:53 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by j4yne
In 5 years working there never experienced it any more than was rife in UK workplaces, however did find the "Tall Poppy Syndrome" a very Ozzie thing.
I do not understand the tall poppy syndrome...have read up about it....but what is it really?

I got a transfer in work because of my knowledge of the product I work on, a development position and found I was given a testing position for 8 months. A testing position I hope I proved myself in. I was told many times that before I was transferred they (aus team) heard about my skills and thought they would test me out! I have no illusions about why people the world over wouldn't like a new person coming in and being told before hand they are good.......I expected that and dealt with it....tall poopy!!!!

I find it an expression here for bad taste in person mouth (jealous?).

Do we not have it the world over?
Old Sep 19th 2003, 1:23 pm
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sandra
I do not understand the tall poppy syndrome...have read up about it....but what is it really?

My freinds who are Ozzies say tall poppy syndrom is when one stands out amongst the others and the other ones do not like it so try and chop it down to their size. or slag it off for bieng so tall and succesful.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 1:35 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by j4yne
Originally posted by Sandra

My freinds who are Ozzies say tall poppy syndrom is when one stands out amongst the others and the other ones do not like it so try and chop it down to their size. or slag it off for bieng so tall and succesful.
Thanks for that....so it is a form of jealously!

So how does a successful person find success? Ignore those around, and possibly not find friends? Not coming back against you personally just interested in what makes it here.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.