Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz Without a degree

Oz Without a degree

Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

welsh213 is a jewel in the roughwelsh213 is a jewel in the roughwelsh213 is a jewel in the roughwelsh213 is a jewel in the rough
Default Oz Without a degree

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to get to OZ without holding a degree?
I have about 5-6 years experience in IT, still sub 30 y/o and able to invest the $100K.
Anyone able to suggest on my chances?

Thanks

Welsh
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:16 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz Without a degree

Originally Posted by welsh213
Hi Guys,

Is it possible to get to OZ without holding a degree?
I have about 5-6 years experience in IT, still sub 30 y/o and able to invest the $100K.
Anyone able to suggest on my chances?

Thanks

Welsh
I'm in IT with no degree and moved here 3 months ago. If you have an MCSE and 6 years experience, you may be able to pass the ACS skills assessment. Without a trade qualification or some other academic qualification, you will need a minimum 8 years experience and will have to go through RPL.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

welsh213 is a jewel in the roughwelsh213 is a jewel in the roughwelsh213 is a jewel in the roughwelsh213 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by wmoore
I'm in IT with no degree and moved here 3 months ago. If you have an MCSE and 6 years experience, you may be able to pass the ACS skills assessment. Without a trade qualification or some other academic qualification, you will need a minimum 8 years experience and will have to go through RPL.
Wmoore,
Thanks

I thought that might be the case, so am cramming for the MCSA 2003 at the moment.
I thought since I was a member of the British Computer Society that I would not need the skills assessment, has this changed?

Thanks

John
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:21 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Wmoore,
Thanks

I thought that might be the case, so am cramming for the MCSA 2003 at the moment.
I thought since I was a member of the British Computer Society that I would not need the skills assessment, has this changed?

Thanks

John
You still need a skills assessment but it's easier if you have a certain grade of BCS membership. I know the gradings changed this year or lasy and the ACS guidelines changed to suit. Have a look at www.acs.org.au and look under Assessment for Migration -> Current Guidelines.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

You still need a skills assessment but it's easier if you have a certain grade of BCS membership. I know the gradings changed this year or lasy and the ACS guidelines changed to suit. Have a look at www.acs.org.au and look under Assessment for Migration -> Current Guidelines.
Cheers will check that out.

On another note, seems you seem to be so helpfull.
Is it best to use an agent (is this the only way) and is there one people tend to reccomend?

Thanks again

John
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:27 am
What's happening dudes?

Cheers will check that out.

On another note, seems you seem to be so helpfull.
Is it best to use an agent (is this the only way) and is there one people tend to reccomend?

Thanks again

John
It depends on a lot of things really, all personal to you But a lot of them offer a free initial consultation, which is certainly worth the money

Do a search on here for George Lombard or Alan Collett - they are both agents who come highly recommended and both have their contact details in their signatures.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I thought ACS stopped recognising BCS membership entirely. Check the current guidelines to be sure.

Jeremy
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:19 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by JAJ
I thought ACS stopped recognising BCS membership entirely. Check the current guidelines to be sure.
I hadn't checked the guidelines for a while. Just checked tha latest (October '05) and there's no mention of BCS at all.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

I hadn't checked the guidelines for a while. Just checked tha latest (October '05) and there's no mention of BCS at all.
Yes it looks like they stopped it back in January of this year.
Guess I will have to wait until I get my MCSA
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it looks like they stopped it back in January of this year.
Guess I will have to wait until I get my MCSA

ACS don't recognise MCSA as far as I know. They do recognise MCSE and MCSD but that's likely to change very soon.

Jeremy
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Nightmare,

Either going to mean more study, or looks like I'm not going to make it, and maybe try NZ instead

Originally Posted by JAJ
ACS don't recognise MCSA as far as I know. They do recognise MCSE and MCSD but that's likely to change very soon.

Jeremy