Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz Webhosting and Domains (for techie folk!)

Oz Webhosting and Domains (for techie folk!)

Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light
Default Oz Webhosting and Domains (for techie folk!)

I currently own my own domain which is hosted by a UK webhosting company.

I mainly use it for backing up my work and photos etc, but I occasionally use it to show family and friends holiday snaps and the like ('cause it's cheaper than printing photos!!)

(For the record they charge me roughly £30 per year for *unlimited* webspace and bandwidth, including FTP, webmail, unlimited email addresses and unlimited sub-domains...which I think is pretty good!)

We expect to be in Brisbane shortly but I wanted to know whether there were any reasons (technical or legal) which would prevent me from staying with this UK hosting company or whether I'd need to find myself an Australian one

I'd rather stay with the UK one if I can because they offer such great value for money

Can any IT techies out there advise me?

Cheers

BD
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:25 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oz Webhosting and Domains (for techie folk!)

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler

I mainly use it for backing up my work and photos etc, but I occasionally use it to show family and friends holiday snaps and the like ('cause it's cheaper than printing photos!!)

(For the record they charge me roughly £30 per year for *unlimited* webspace and bandwidth, including FTP, webmail, unlimited email addresses and unlimited sub-domains...which I think is pretty good!)

We expect to be in Brisbane shortly but I wanted to know whether there were any reasons (technical or legal) which would prevent me from staying with this UK hosting company or whether I'd need to find myself an Australian one

I'd rather stay with the UK one if I can because they offer such great value for money

Cheers

BD
Not an expert, but from what I know.....as long as you are paying a hosting company, you are technically, the temporary owner of the domain. I would look into just transferring it to an OZ based hosting provider. Would be easier if you have issues/ tech problems...probably be cheaper as well!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:35 pm
pools finished..Boat next

MenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the roughMenAtWork is a jewel in the rough

I currently own my own domain which is hosted by a UK webhosting company.I'd rather stay with the UK one if I can because they offer such great value for money

Cheers

BD

I'll be doing exactly the same thing. Lots of people in the UK use American hosting solutions which is exactly the same thing just the countries that differ.

Steve
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:12 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

BD
I currently use a UK hosting company, not sure if there any legal issues I cant see that there would be any legal issues as I am still a British citizen.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:15 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to know whether there were any reasons (technical or legal) which would prevent me from staying with this UK hosting company
No.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point

There are no legal reasons why you should change hosts, other than if you require a .com.au (or any other .au extension for that matter) and unless you need a low ping rate for running games, you'll notice no discernable speed difference. To be honest, I don't think you'll find a better price in Aus anyway. I have several domains for sites all running from the UK and if I was going to move them, it would be to US servers for the reduced cost. If you own a .eu you will still need to maintain an eu based address. On the other hand, if your domain support is UK office hours, this could potentially be a pain. hth
Old May 29th 2007, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

lstone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bobbydazzler

I would like to make contact re your immigration application process, as we are facing similar challenges regarding pre existing medical condition.
Would it be ok to PM you

many thanks
lstone