Oz Wages

Old Jun 4th 2011, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz Wages

I realise that there is great subjectivity in determining what is a decent salary but I have been quite taken aback by some posts on here - particularly when the average salary is about half the OP's salary.

Those who feel that the $120k quoted is basic or just doable, what would you consider a good salary?
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jezandem
Really, that is worrying! With the strength of the aus$ Imported items such as TVs, computers etc should surely have come down in price? I am gobsmacked
Yes they have. A lot. TV's especially.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Have you any idea how cold it has been here the last two winters?

Please don't judge my competance on saving money when you know F-all about the subject.

I think people were just surprised. My UK house is victorian, in the middle of nowhere, poorly insulated and oil fired central heating. I wasn't there last winter but was winter before, I reckon the bills were maybe £750 per year? Yours does sound very large but perhaps you house was nearly four times as big.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 2:34 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess it also depends on your internet provider?

Also, some of the information I have been looking at is a couple of years old. Are internet and landline prices generally coming down?

No. You get more allowance for your money but I've not seen any price cuts. Toowombats might be more expensive than some of the prices quoted by posters on here. It really does depend where you are as to what you can get and at what price. ADSL2 hasn't made to me yet and probably never will. National Broadband Network will get here first.

Heating might come as a bit of a shock. Australian houses are, generally, excellent at dissipating heat... great in Summer, but bloody hopeless come Winter. You will need the heating on.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Really, that is worrying! With the strength of the aus$ Imported items such as TVs, computers etc should surely have come down in price? I am gobsmacked
These kind of things are roughly the same, or cheaper in Australia
Old Jun 5th 2011, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I earn $48k plus super and manage fine....how? because that's what I earn and I have to.

I just bought a 50 inch plasma for $666 Don't know how that compares to the UK as I haven't looked.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

jezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think people were just surprised. My UK house is victorian, in the middle of nowhere, poorly insulated and oil fired central heating. I wasn't there last winter but was winter before, I reckon the bills were maybe £750 per year? Yours does sound very large but perhaps you house was nearly four times as big.
Absolute rubbish. £750 a year for domestic oil heating (approx £60 a month) Our house is a 4 bed, not a huge farmhouse.

Some people will be paying much more than that for mains gas central heating, which is much, much cheaper.

Please see this thread and remember that oil prices have gone up a lot since then. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.php?t=161843

When you woke up Bermudashorts......were you back in Australia??

There really are some unbelievable comments on here!!

Thank God some of you are honest, impartial, straight and are on here to help.

And to those of you who are just a little lonely and wish to give your opinions for something to do......just bear in mind that people are making life changing decisions and seek honesty and relevance to their situation.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 9:46 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolute rubbish. £750 a year for domestic oil heating (approx £60 a month) Our house is a 4 bed, not a huge farmhouse.

Some people will be paying much more than that for mains gas central heating, which is much, much cheaper.

Please see this thread and remember that oil prices have gone up a lot since then. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.php?t=161843

And to those of you who are just a little lonely and wish to give your opinions for something to do......just bear in mind that people are making life changing decisions and seek honesty and relevance to their situation.
I have no gas. My Electricty costs are $3510pa. Gives you some idea that utilities aren't cheap here either.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

People are giving you their honest opinions and honest figures. How do I know? Because I live here and I've been on this forum reading the figures for several years.
I spent a lot of my childhood in a large Victorian house with oil-fired central heating. We had a VERY small fuel bill because we had a small income and couldn't afford heating. We wore more clothes, drew patterns on the ice on the inside of the windows and spent most of each winter with large parts of the house as No-go zones. Our bills were lower than anyone else in the village. So don't assume that someone's figures are wrong unless you have walked in their shoes and lived their life.

If you want real help from people then I suggest listen to all our opinions - especially people such as Bermuda Shorts who post an awful lot of useful and accurate info. We've all been in your shoes, looking for help, so don't dismiss it or you may find it isn't offered so freely.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:05 am
Just Joined

britToAussie is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that the answer here is "It depends". It depends on your lifestyle and how thriftily you live. I do think that 120,000AUD is do-able, though.

I'm on a similar salary and my wife also works (albeit on a slightly lower salary than me) and we have a nice, comfortable life. We don't have kids, though.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who makes a life changing decision based on what they read on here is a f**king idiot
Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britToAussie
I think that the answer here is "It depends". It depends on your lifestyle and how thriftily you live. I do think that 120,000AUD is do-able, though.

I'm on a similar salary and my wife also works (albeit on a slightly lower salary than me) and we have a nice, comfortable life. We don't have kids, though.
A reasonable primary salary and a 2nd "slightly lower" salary and no kids is very different from a reasonable salary that is the only salary and with kids.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:37 am
Just Joined

britToAussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HelenTD
A reasonable primary salary and a 2nd "slightly lower" salary and no kids is very different from a reasonable salary that is the only salary and with kids.
Exactly.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

What on earth are you so angry about?

Soooo you are outraged that a couple of people dare to question your statement about your bills because how could they possibly know... but then tell me I'm talking rubbish when I mention what mine are. You can't have it both ways.

I know what my bills were too, not much need for oil central heating all year round so working out a monthly average is a bit meaningless for me. If you heat your house all day all year round then I imagine that cost would creep up. We topped up the tank about three times a year and it cost about £250 a time. I find my utility bills here quite reasonable too, so far anyway, I guess I must just be very green.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

MMC_HGV is an unknown quantity at this point

I think alot really depends on your lifestyle and expectations. I'm hoping to come over on $100k pa with my wife, we'd be hoping she would pick up a basic rate job, all be it part or full time. So no kids and we dont see ourselves as extravigant . I compaired our weekly shop from asda(using the reciepts) with a shop with woolworth. It didnt shock me at all, was slighlty higher as expexcted. The main thing is to know your own area your going too and price everything from there, everyone is different with different circumstances

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.