Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

oz v uk fashion (or lack of it )

oz v uk fashion (or lack of it )

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default oz v uk fashion (or lack of it )

could the people in oz tell me that the youngsters are not dressing like there uk counterparts which is tracksuits that are to short for there legs and therefore show there disney style charcters socks, hooded tops and baseball caps (lippy attitude is opitinal) please tell me thats this sad fashion trend has not got to oz , all the best darren :scared:
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 9:29 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: oz v uk fashion (or lack of it )

Originally Posted by karenjc
could the people in oz tell me that the youngsters are not dressing like there uk counterparts which is tracksuits that are to short for there legs and therefore show there disney style charcters socks, hooded tops and baseball caps (lippy attitude is opitinal) please tell me thats this sad fashion trend has not got to oz , all the best darren :scared:

Havent seen that one myself, the teenagers we know wear pants that have waistbands 3 sizes too big so they can wear them so low down on their hips that only the bulge at the front ( ) holds them up & 6 inches of boxers show out of the top.

So what's that all about then? :scared:
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 9:36 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The big trends are the surfies or the wannabe chavs. My favourite is the white tracksuit with gold chain, hair bleached with bog cleaner and a matching girlfriend. This is generalising a bit but the Anglos tend to be the surfies. Branded surfy clothes cost a fortune.

For a dick wearing a baseball cap backwards just watch Hewitt play tennis.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

MaggieNoodles is an unknown quantity at this point

I worry about the young girls (7 - 14 year olds) dressing like they are 18 and leaving nothing to the imagination...
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 10:19 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Havent seen that one myself, the teenagers we know wear pants that have waistbands 3 sizes too big so they can wear them so low down on their hips that only the bulge at the front ( ) holds them up & 6 inches of boxers show out of the top.

I liked those baggy trousers with the crotch down at the knees & the hems dragging round their toes, that were so popular a year or so with teen boys.

These garments so inhibited their ability to walk that a doctor in my family reported a huge increase in broken wrists/arms as the poor lads stumbled and tripped up!

Anya.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 11:17 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Dont wory Dazza I dont think any fashion has hit Oz yet!!!

Never have I seen such a badly dressed lot yet dont think I have seen any stone island, armani, paul and shark, paul smith, cp company or prada on anyone yet.

Just stick a vest and a pair of boardies on and you will be fine and dandy.

TT

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 11:28 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Never have I seen such a badly dressed lot yet dont think I have seen any stone island, armani, paul and shark, paul smith, cp company or prada on anyone yet.
We've got better things to spend our money on. Wear Stone Island here and you'll look like an English football hooligan on holiday.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 11:40 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Hard Yakka
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

My brother in law summed those up in one word: they are sh*tcatchers!
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:47 am
Merlot

Fashion and Australia don't come into the same sentance!

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:52 am
Banned

E=mc2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merlot
Fashion and Australia don't come into the same sentance!
We tend to dress down to go anywhere. The Australian people seem to have about as much fashion sense as an ethiopian who has just taken an oxfam handout. All our good stuff is still in the wardrobe and will probably only be worn on trips back to the UK.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:54 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by E=mc2
We tend to dress down to go anywhere. The Australian people seem to have about as much fashion sense as an ethiopian who has just taken an oxfam handout. All our good stuff is still in the wardrobe and will probably only be worn on trips back to the UK.
Too true, when we returned to the UK we felt like a couple of refugees, about 20 years behind and still trying to catch up!! Hehe

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this constant assumption that because Australians don't dress like they do in Britain we are somehow "behind" is ludicrous.

Firstly the climate here doesn't lend itself to layers or even shoes at times. Australians wear hats for shade not to look like everyone else.

Also, I think the US influences us more than Britain. Most of the time when I see a UK show I don't have a clue about the politicians they talk about or many aspects of the culture including fashion. However I understand everything about the US, and my American friend has said she was surprised when she got to Australia how alike the two countries were.

You might also consider that the reason Australians don't engage in the "chav" thing is not because we are behind. Perhaps, like myself and others I was with when I saw a Chav item on the news, we saw it and thought it blew.

Calling Australia behind fashionwise because we don't choose to follow the UK and dress like dickheads is a bit rich.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
The big trends are the surfies or the wannabe chavs. My favourite is the white tracksuit with gold chain, hair bleached with bog cleaner and a matching girlfriend. This is generalising a bit but the Anglos tend to be the surfies. Branded surfy clothes cost a fortune.

For a dick wearing a baseball cap backwards just watch Hewitt play tennis.
'matching girlfriend' love it, but soooo true X
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 2:27 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by E=mc2
Yeah me too and I love it, No longer do I have to think about what I am wearing, Just stick on a pair of shorts and a vest or tee shirt and away I go, I hated all that crap in the UK where you are looked at like some kinda freak if you weren't wearing the right clothes.

I shop at Target and dont care what anyone thinks, As I have said before living here has completely chilled me out, all the stupid things that used to worry me just dont come into the equation any more.

Kala

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.