OZ v UK

Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

GOGGLE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OZ v UK

Hello everyone. I came across this interesting forum browing info on moving to Oz - what a great source of information. IÕve got a bit of a dilemma. For a few years IÕve been keen to emigrate to Oz (sun, beaches, relaxed lifestlye etc.). My wife wasnÕt bothered. So we went out for a long holiday & look round over Easter, my wife has an uncle living on the Gold Coast so we spent our time with lots of familiar faces.

HereÕs the problem. We had a great time in Oz but my opinion was that it wasnÕt anything that special. Certainly not a place I feel I would want to give our good jobs, nice home etc. for. For me it was a disappointment, I think I had read too many tourist brochures. My wife, however, fell in love with the place as did our two teenagers. Now they are all mad keen to move there as soon as possible. ItÕs now their only topic of conversation and of course my wifeÕs uncle & cousins are all just as enthusiastic for us to go there.

So, my question is do any of you have a similar situation where one person is more set on the move than the other? How do you compromise on a situation like this?
Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:23 pm
Badge

Default Re: OZ v UK

Originally posted by GOGGLE
Hello everyone. I came across this interesting forum browing info on moving to Oz - what a great source of information. IÕve got a bit of a dilemma. For a few years IÕve been keen to emigrate to Oz (sun, beaches, relaxed lifestlye etc.). My wife wasnÕt bothered. So we went out for a long holiday & look round over Easter, my wife has an uncle living on the Gold Coast so we spent our time with lots of familiar faces.

HereÕs the problem. We had a great time in Oz but my opinion was that it wasnÕt anything that special. Certainly not a place I feel I would want to give our good jobs, nice home etc. for. For me it was a disappointment, I think I had read too many tourist brochures. My wife, however, fell in love with the place as did our two teenagers. Now they are all mad keen to move there as soon as possible. ItÕs now their only topic of conversation and of course my wifeÕs uncle & cousins are all just as enthusiastic for us to go there.

So, my question is do any of you have a similar situation where one person is more set on the move than the other? How do you compromise on a situation like this?
seriously - have you considered a city like Melborne or Sydney - the Gold Coast seems to attract a few "disapointments" if this group is anything to go by - you've obviously detected that already...it may well be that for YOU somewhere livelier is better...but still laid back compared to the UK..

badgers

Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OZ v UK

Originally posted by GOGGLE

Listen to your gut feeling mate. Make the best life you can in England or somewhere in the UK and you will do better than by coming to Oz. There is more to the world than this empty place. If you think it is nothing special now, you think you will get more keen as you start to do the ordinary, boring, day-to-day things that you have to do anywhere?
Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:51 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Bloody hell Wilf! when do you sleep?
Old Jun 11th 2003, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by paulf
Bloody hell Wilf! when do you sleep?
I get up at 6 in the morning every day Paul. Have done nearly all my life (apart from when I was at school, then it was half past nine).
Old Jun 12th 2003, 7:22 pm
earlswood

Goggle,

Surely your a brave man to battle against the wife and the kids!!

Earlswood

Old Jun 12th 2003, 10:14 pm
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

I think that you BOTH need to be 100% for it. If you are having doubts now, then you need to both sit down and put your cards on the table. Don't bottle it up tell each other how you feel. If your not up for it & you go, it will cause ruptions later - Guaranteed.

Good luck

Dave