Oz V Canada

Old May 18th 2005, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

nic2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Oz V Canada

I need some reassurance from you guys who have made the move to Oz.I can move to Canada very easily but will have to go down the study visa route for a few years to maybe get PR in Australia. Can any of you give me reasons for not taking the easy route to Canada.

Cheers IAN
Old May 18th 2005, 10:36 pm
wombat42

Default Re: Oz V Canada

Originally Posted by nic2
I need some reassurance from you guys who have made the move to Oz.I can move to Canada very easily but will have to go down the study visa route for a few years to maybe get PR in Australia. Can any of you give me reasons for not taking the easy route to Canada.

Cheers IAN
Would you rather walk down to your local frozen over lake through the snow blizzard in -15c degrees to play ice Hockey in Canada or walk down to your local beach to go surfing in OZ on a nice sunny 25c -30c degrees day with clear blue sky.

Last edited by wombat42; May 18th 2005 at 10:41 pm.

Old May 18th 2005, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wombat42
Would you rather walk down to your local frozen over lake through the snow blizzard in -15c degrees to play ice Hockey in Canada or walk down to your local beach to go surfing in OZ on a nice sunny 25c -30c degrees day with clear blue sky.
Can't argue with that,good way of putting it across.Thanks Ian
Old May 18th 2005, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Can any of you give me reasons for not taking the easy route to Canada.

I'm in the reverse situation to you; I already have the Oz passport but doubt I could get into Canada.

I expect I'll get lynched but in your shoes I'd choose Canada. A recent survey by Deutsche Bank suggested that over the next 20 years the GDP per head of population would grow better in Canada than just about anywhere else. Canada would end up 3rd in the world (behind the USA and Ireland) in GDP per head. It's in about that position now, I believe. Presumably, its success would have a lot to do with its proximity to the States.

Australia, by contrast, was predicted to fall 8 places down the league table; more than any other country.

Both countries get extremes of weather, unlike the UK.
Old May 18th 2005, 11:41 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
I'm in the reverse situation to you; I already have the Oz passport but doubt I could get into Canada.

I expect I'll get lynched but in your shoes I'd choose Canada. A recent survey by Deutsche Bank suggested that over the next 20 years the GDP per head of population would grow better in Canada than just about anywhere else. Canada would end up 3rd in the world (behind the USA and Ireland) in GDP per head. It's in about that position now, I believe. Presumably, its success would have a lot to do with its proximity to the States.

Australia, by contrast, was predicted to fall 8 places down the league table; more than any other country.

Both countries get extremes of weather, unlike the UK.
OZ's GDP per head of population might fall 8 places in the next 20 years , that does it l'm immigrating to Canada. Wheres my snow shoes and ice hockey stick?

Last edited by wombat42; May 18th 2005 at 11:52 pm.

Old May 19th 2005, 12:09 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Cheers IAN
Australia is too hot and dusty, it rarely rains and is populated by nasty, mean arachnids.
Old May 19th 2005, 12:41 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Megalania
Australia is too hot and dusty, it rarely rains and is populated by nasty, mean arachnids.
Sounds like Paradise to me.

Old May 19th 2005, 12:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers IAN

The study visa route is expensive and there's a good chance you'll face a one way trip home at the end.

If you've got the opportunity to go to Canada - grab it. Why not study in Canada?

The other issue, which you've not been clear about, is whether your opportunity to go to Canada is time limited or not. Are you a Canadian citizen?

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; May 19th 2005 at 2:39 am.
Old May 21st 2005, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
The study visa route is expensive and there's a good chance you'll face a one way trip home at the end.

If you've got the opportunity to go to Canada - grab it. Why not study in Canada?

The other issue, which you've not been clear about, is whether your opportunity to go to Canada is time limited or not. Are you a Canadian citizen?

Jeremy
Jeremy,
I think I can get into canada via wife's sister who is canadian citizen but my wife wants nearly all year sun/heat.
With being 40 and job not on list how else can I get into australia but to study for 2 years over there? Is there any new info on the apprenticeship scheme.
thanks Ian
Old May 21st 2005, 11:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Jeremy,
I think I can get into canada via wife's sister who is canadian citizen but my wife wants nearly all year sun/heat.
With being 40 and job not on list how else can I get into australia but to study for 2 years over there? Is there any new info on the apprenticeship scheme.
thanks Ian
I think you need to focus on what you can *settle for* as opposed to what you *want*.
If you can get into Canada then you should forget Australia.

Although Canada might not be so easy either - in the circumstances you suggest, it's only an extra 5 points on the points test and you still need to be 'skilled'. Visit http://www.cic.gc.ca

Student visas are for those wishing to *study* in Australia. There is *no* obligation on Australia - moral or otherwise - to let you stay on.

Literally thousands of students have come to Australia hoping to get PR, and have had to go home at the end because plans did not work out.

Others on this forum will think otherwise but the reality is that unless you are young and single, with a relative in Australia to sponsor you, study in Australia is generally an enormous gamble.

And as for 'more information' on anything, if it's not on http://www.immi.gov.au it's generally not available.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; May 21st 2005 at 11:22 am.
Old May 21st 2005, 12:48 pm
Banned

Hunkyhenry will become famous soon enough

If Oz took on Canada I think that we would win. They would not be able to drag sleds accross the dessert and those hussky's would soon die of heat exhaustion.