Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OZ truth is stranger than fiction.

OZ truth is stranger than fiction.

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default OZ truth is stranger than fiction.

This struck me as hilarious, (which will probably get me arrested but never mind).

Mornings Task, deliver VIP documents to solicitor who rents offices overlooking beach.

Set off get into traffic jam, no worries amusement is beside me straight away its 9.15 am. A huge lime bus with yellow spots is stuck beside me crammed totally full of OAP ladies, the youngest probably 70 the oldest 90 odd and one gentleman. The lime greens spotty free bus is a RSL bus ( which picks you up so you dont have to drink and drive) after shoving you Dole cheque/pension/wages in the Poker machines. It seems they are now doing a early morning run past the retirement homes to get the ladies out. Grey rinse set in lime spotty green bus brings smile to face untill

Get to solicitors, hes a mad pisshead who rides a pushbike everywhere and bums a lift in my Ute to go to fellow solicitors office, also overlooking a beach, as we pull up I spot these fantastic units, all architectual features, louvre windows (5 times the price of normal ones), soaring ceilings and ocean glimpses, plus walk across the road to beach and 2 mins to the CBD. I go up to one of the workman (leering building workers grinning now) and ask if these lovely beach shacks might be for sale. Jeez no luv he replies while trying to contain obvious amusement, the're housing comission units!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (housing comission equals Council Flat).

Solicitor without driving license, me the ute and the dog proceed to shopping centre, Solicitor needs to pick up gift for wife and I need to pick up package I left behind last week. Guy on service desk ignores me while waving around some headline discussing the shoplifting gangs which rustle up homeless kids and got them to nick 10 million bucks worth of gear. (10 million seems farfetched shops here are not that good )

Depart back to office, dont pay solicitor, as usual lift in Ute is cool. Solicitor mate has client waiting (barefooted and in filthy check shirt and shorts with fag in hand), wants to sue someone at the council as his kid fell off a swing yesterday.

Depart for home small pink bus with yellow smiley faces is picking up middleaged people (dont they have jobs) from the top of Alex Hill...................

:scared:
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Morning Dotty,

What a wonderful morning you have had. I love your descriptions it has brightened the day.

being unemployed (no sympathy required) the highlights of the day (and today is a busy day for us)

I'm up early Chris being nocturnal, will see him at some point before lunch. We weather is beautiful here this morning and that is note worthy because the weather was much worse that I was expecting when I got here. But to please those of you arriving in Perth in the next few weeks the sun is shining, the reflection on the Swan River is stunning, children are out playing on the nearby swings, the Zoo is awake, and everything from last night on the forum appears to have settled.

Our day consists of visit to the chiropractor, then coles, then walk down by the river hoping the afternoon storm warnings aren't realised.

Then large pile of ironing, cooking tea and then watching TV. Such is paradise.

Donna

Last edited by karawara88; Oct 3rd 2003 at 3:34 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 3:34 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey dotty, I want one of those housing commission units. Years ago all you could get were slum housing in Inala & Woodridge, things have changed!!

I can act really poor! Where do I sign up??
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Hey dotty, I want one of those housing commission units. Years ago all you could get were slum housing in Inala & Woodridge, things have changed!!

I can act really poor! Where do I sign up??
Come over now, lets get our name on the bloody list, if I dirty up me feet, paint some black roots on me 'air, and borrow half a dozen kids we could be in.

These really are housing comission units by the way, husband reckons they will go for $50 a week, rest of rent paid by you and me the worker!! Policy up here is to design units to not look like housing comission, one block won some design awards night we went to. My opinion if they were on the open market $500,000 each at least due to the location.

I have no idea why I waste my time working, off to get up the duff and on the 'ousing list.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Come over now, lets get our name on the bloody list, if I dirty up me feet, paint some black roots on me 'air, and borrow half a dozen kids we could be in.

======

Got 2 going cheap!! Good tale Dotty, made me snortle.

Diane