Reload this Page >

OZ Truck Driver licence -Semi

Wikiposts

OZ Truck Driver licence -Semi

Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:56 pm
OZ in Sep -HOme at last

macnet1 will become famous soon enough
Default OZ Truck Driver licence -Semi

Hi There, I've got an australian car licence and will be returning to Oz later this year hopefully as perm resident, however I also have a british HGV Class 1 licence ( Now called LGV 1) from my early days as a trucker (always kept my hand in so to speak).

I would like to get a HC (essentially Articulated) licence when I return to Australia in order to get some artic work whilst looking for IT work which is my main job.

I never looked into getting an HC licence whilst down in Sydney, can any one tell me what is involved in getting one and would I have to resit the computer based theory test ?

cheers

Mac
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:03 pm
Badge

Default Re: OZ Truck Driver licence -Semi

mate I contributed to this one a few weeks or so ago.

I was able to take and pass the HR(igid) test from scratch in 5 or so hours.
Pre-requisites are 3yrs on a Pommie car license or equiv, and a small multiple choice theory test to get the Learner's permit - just bone up on the q and a's 5 mins before..

not sure about progressing straight to HC - but even if you get HR first it should be the next step. I paid 50bucks an hour in Perth for my instruction.

HR in Australia is quite limited in some respects as so many large 'ocean going' trucks are HC. But HR is great for delivery jobs and prime movers.

BM

Last edited by badgersmount; Aug 10th 2004 at 11:06 pm.

Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:19 pm
OZ in Sep -HOme at last

macnet1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: OZ Truck Driver licence -Semi

Cheers mate for the quick reply... Im moving to NSW and wonder if the drving test/laws there are the same. as Perth ?

I take your point about the HR, I would rather be tipping around the doors than go down the road for weeks at a time.

I've had my LGV for ten years now and try and keep my hand in, just in case IT market goes belly up ...

Cheers

MAC

Scottish folk choose: http://www.scotsinoz.com

Originally Posted by badgersmount
mate I contributed to this one a few weeks or so ago.

I was able to take and pass the HR(igid) test from scratch in 5 or so hours.
Pre-requisites are 3yrs on a Pommie car license or equiv, and a small multiple choice theory test to get the Learner's permit - just bone up on the q and a's 5 mins before..

not sure about progressing straight to HC - but even if you get HR first it should be the next step. I paid 50bucks an hour in Perth for my instruction.

HR in Australia is quite limited in some respects as so many large 'ocean going' trucks are HC. But HR is great for delivery jobs and prime movers.

BM