British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Oz Tax Return - UK Property? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/oz-tax-return-uk-property-674891/)

Jen1977ni Jul 2nd 2010 11:18 am

Oz Tax Return - UK Property?

I have property in the UK on which I'm making a loss, I have to pay about £100 a month towards all of the costs involved, as the rent the tenants are paying doesn't cover it all. Someone suggested that this means I could offset this loss against my Australian tax or something, can someone advise me if this is the case as when I mentioned it to our accountant the other day he didn't really seem to know!? If it IS the case could someone provide me with a link which I can then show him? lol Thanks folks :)

fish.01 Jul 2nd 2010 11:21 am

Re: Oz Tax Return - UK Property?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8672447)
I have property in the UK on which I'm making a loss, I have to pay about £100 a month towards all of the costs involved, as the rent the tenants are paying doesn't cover it all. Someone suggested that this means I could offset this loss against my Australian tax or something, can someone advise me if this is the case as when I mentioned it to our accountant the other day he didn't really seem to know!? If it IS the case could someone provide me with a link which I can then show him? lol Thanks folks :)

I would assume you could claim all expenses (except component of mortgage that reduces capital component) but would just be guessing - but are you sure you would not be better asking for links to a new accountant ;) ...at least one that says: I'll find out for you.

Jen1977ni Jul 2nd 2010 11:24 am

Originally Posted by fish.01 (Post 8672454)
I would assume you could claim it but would just be guessing - but are you sure you would not be better asking for links to a new accountant ;) ...at least one that says: I'll find out for you.

HAHA no this one comes highly recommended amongst our 'field' of client, we're ADF Lateral Transfers and he deals a lot with 'people like us' lol

fish.01 Jul 2nd 2010 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8672462)
HAHA no this one comes highly recommended amongst our 'field' of client, we're ADF Lateral Transfers and he deals a lot with 'people like us' lol

By "deals with" do you mean shrugs his shoulders and says "pffttt" :rofl:

mark wool Jul 2nd 2010 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8672462)

Hi jen. Jen if you make an income of your place you can sign a form which makes you exempt from paying tax as long as you dont earn something over 5k a year roughly, although some smart arse wil come up from here with the exact amounts. Dont worry about it.
You need if staying long tern over here, if you wil be affected by the new capital gains tax. I hope you are good pal.

Jen1977ni Jul 2nd 2010 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by mark wool (Post 8672599)
Hi jen. Jen if you make an income of your place you can sign a form which makes you exempt from paying tax as long as you dont earn something over 5k a year roughly, although some smart arse wil come up from here with the exact amounts. Dont worry about it.
You need if staying long tern over here, if you wil be affected by the new capital gains tax. I hope you are good pal.

I dont make a penny, I'm around £100 out of pocket every month, so...

I'm good ta, how r u both?

ozhappy981 Jul 3rd 2010 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8672447)
I have property in the UK on which I'm making a loss, I have to pay about £100 a month towards all of the costs involved, as the rent the tenants are paying doesn't cover it all. Someone suggested that this means I could offset this loss against my Australian tax or something

Yes, that's all correct.

In your Australian tax return, you declare the gross UK rental income - and all the UK expenses, e.g. interest on mortgage (but interest element only not the capital element of the repayments), fees you pay the rental agent who looks after the property, costs of repairs, and any other expenses you have [all calculated from the date you arrived in Australia].

If you make a loss, then that reduces your other income.

For example, imagine you earned $50,000, you had no deductions against that, and you have a $10,000 loss from your UK property - then your taxable income would be $40,000.

MaCCCa Jul 3rd 2010 7:48 am

I am in the process of letting my property at the mo. I am on an interest only mortgage of £495 a month with rental income of £675. Less fees and insurance - approx £125 this leaves me with £55 a month profit. Would the £55 be the only taxable part due to my mortgage being interest only?

Jen1977ni Jul 3rd 2010 9:01 am

Originally Posted by MaCCCa (Post 8674505)
I am in the process of letting my property at the mo. I am on an interest only mortgage of £495 a month with rental income of £675. Less fees and insurance - approx £125 this leaves me with £55 a month profit. Would the £55 be the only taxable part due to my mortgage being interest only?

Not sure:

My rental income - £425
Scottish Provident Critical Illness cover £29
Agent's fee is about 6% - can't rem how much exactly as I paid him 6 months in advance.

So....I make nuffinks out of this venture lol

MaCCCa Jul 3rd 2010 9:48 am

Is your critical Illness cover for just you or you and your partner? We have an advisor popping round next week to try and reduce our current life ins to keep costs down.

Also whats the 'Rates' that you pay - that council tax?

Jen1977ni Jul 3rd 2010 9:49 am

Originally Posted by MaCCCa (Post 8674650)
Is your critical Illness cover for just you or you and your partner? We have an advisor popping round next week to try and reduce our current life ins to keep costs down.

Also whats the 'Rates' that you pay - that council tax?

Just me, I bought the house before I met him...I die, the house is paid for, and it's left to him anyways, so everyones a winner lol

ozhappy981 Jul 3rd 2010 9:50 am

Originally Posted by MaCCCa (Post 8674505)

Yes. But in your OZ tax return, you don't just show the GPB55 a month. You put in ALL the figures (converted into Australian dollars).

MaCCCa Jul 3rd 2010 9:59 am

Originally Posted by ozhappy981 (Post 8674655)
Yes. But in your OZ tax return, you don't just show the GPB55 a month. You put in ALL the figures (converted into Australian dollars).

Ok thats cool thankyou! :thumbup: Guess that £55 will be spent on Life insurance then! Ahh well I'll break even - beats leaving the house emtpy!

Jen1977ni Jul 3rd 2010 10:06 am

Originally Posted by ozhappy981 (Post 8674655)

Our accountant has said that my property in the UK doesn't need to be taken into account on my Oz tax return, I'm almost sure it does and want something concrete to show him....I wont see him again til August as the OH is away with work til then....

ExSmoggie Jul 3rd 2010 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8674684)
Our accountant has said that my property in the UK doesn't need to be taken into account on my Oz tax return, I'm almost sure it does and want something concrete to show him....I wont see him again til August as the OH is away with work til then....

Hi,

This is the link to the relevant ATO website page. It should give you something concrete for your accountant. Per other posters though, if you have to advise your accountant....I'd be looking for a new one!

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co....htm&page=5&H5