Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz targets Pom poll article

Oz targets Pom poll article

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oz targets Pom poll article

Sporting Life
By Geoff McClure
December 4, 2003

Oz targets Pom poll

If there's one thing better than beating the Poms at sport, it's getting square with them after we don't. Like a typically larrikin-esque Aussie campaign under way among ex-pats in England involving a BBC Sport poll to vote in Britain's 2003 sports personality of the year. Now, as you would expect, Rugby World Cup hero Jonny Wilkinson is a red-hot favourite to win but whether he does so remains to be seen.

You see, last month when The Sydney Morning Herald conducted a website poll asking readers if England's World Cup semi-final against France was dull (which it was) or scintillating, Poms touring Australia emailed thousands of their friends back home a message titled "time to rig an Aussie poll" and, by vote's end, "scintillating" won easily, scoring 79 per cent of the 53,000 votes. Well, an Aussie-generated email titled "time to turn the tables" is raging like wildfire in Britain (and now, back home) encouraging recipients to log onto the BBC website . . . and vote for English tennis's perennial bridesmaid Tim Henman.

Now, far be it for us to be advocating anyone be so as low as to sabotage such an esteemed award but in case you're wanting to read more about it, here's the address:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport - and click on "vote for the 2003 sports personality". The voting ends at 6pm (GMT) next Monday and the results will be broadcast the following Sunday. If Henman doesn't win, let's hope the BBC publishes the full voting results to see how he fared.

OzTennis
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:21 pm
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

tit for tat aint it?

i see it this way. if the australian press had reported the french - england game with any degree of objectivity rather than simply pom bashing (which we have come accustomed to) then may be this whole episode wouldnt have started.

far be it from me to comment on whether australian sports commentators can be objective. i dont live there yet.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:23 pm
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Oz Tennis can you post a link up to that story. i post on another forum where i think that story would be off interest.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
Oz Tennis can you post a link up to that story. i post on another forum where i think that story would be off interest.
'No worries'.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...351651632.html

BTW I'm not condoning anyone voting against Jonny he deserves the award and England deserves the success - I just posted the article because I knew it would be interesting to others.

RWC is long forgotten, we only had another week to wait!

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails Oz targets Pom poll article-davis-cup-2003-team-trophy.jpg  
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:31 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

I'm sure Tim Henman has worked very hard this year.............

Could be worse. They could be voting for Emile Heskey
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Kentish Man
I'm sure Tim Henman has worked very hard this year.............

Could be worse. They could be voting for Emile Heskey
Tim actually had a very good year in that despite his ranking slipping due to injury he had his best ever win at one of the Masters events. The sentiment behind the voting for Tim is here is a perennial bridesmaid - but he wasn't this year which is ironic.

OzTennis