Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz Speed Cameras

Wikiposts

Oz Speed Cameras

Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:54 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz Speed Cameras

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
Please do tell, What speed were you doing to cop that one.

Current penalties for speeding are:
# Less than 13 km/h over the speed limit:
$A100 + 1 demerit point.
# At least 13 km/h but not more than 20 km/h over the speed limit: $A150 + 3 demerit points.
# More than 20 km/h but not more than 30 km/h over the speed limit: $A250 + 4 demerit points.
# More than 30 km/h but not more than 40 km/h over the speed limit: $A350 + 6 demerit points.
# More than 40km/h over the speed limit:
$A700 + 8 demerit points and 6 month suspension.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 9:13 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

i reckon the uk is worse for cameras for sure ,especially those gantry ones on the motorways that work out your average speed from point to point .
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 9:22 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Oz Speed Cameras

My hubby was done for speeding when we came here on holiday last year. He got a fine that was over double the norm for that speed they gave him $260 fine I think it was but no points as he had UK license.

BE WARNED the police car was coming in the oposite direction and had some sort of gun on the light rack, we didn't know you could be done from the other side of the road as in UK they have to be behind you in a moving car.

The previously mentioned 4 wheel drive police cars use the snorkel as the speed gun if you look it faces the oposite way to normal and has glass in it.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 9:23 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Oz Speed Cameras

Originally Posted by spalen
# More than 40km/h over the speed limit:
$A700 + 8 demerit points and 6 month suspension.
Right then. End of story.

IMHO, anyone who does more than 40km/h over the limit deserves whatever they get.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 9:28 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Right then. End of story.

IMHO, anyone who does more than 40km/h over the limit deserves whatever they get.
A good torturing session followed by being hung drawn and quartered is a sufficient punishment for being 40 klicks over .They maybe allowed to apply for an extraordinary after though
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Have a look at this site. I think you could successfully appeal any ticket given on the basis of a reading from a mobile camera.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/10/1067.asp

If you listen to the local radio they tell you where the radar traps are!
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:04 pm

Problem with Aus is the speeds are that low it's hard not to speed you just have to blink and you are over the limit.

And have the road safety police not figured out that you would be a safer driver if you didn't spend most of your time looking at the speedo and scanning the sides of the road for speed cameras instead of looking ahead.

Did get an excellent video clip i've now deleted that showed man knocked over and given head injury by car doing 30 miles per hour then same man crossing road was not knocked over by car doing 60 miles per hour as it had already passed....motto going slow kills.

Plus I have this memory of a child of something called the green cross code man...there was less trafic then and they used to hammer into kids how to try and safely cross the road.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:07 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FloridaLee
How many of these in Oz ? Specifically the Gold Coast. Do you have as many as UK ????

Cheers for any info

Lee
not too many down here, and they don`t hide behind bushes
http://www.police.sa.gov.au/speed_cams/camdisp.asp
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:12 pm

Actually just thinking why do we have to crawl around at 50K to a 110K when planes go so bl**dy fast who used to tell concorde sorry mate slow down there are other planes about?
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:30 pm
Life is sweet in Brisbane

rima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nice
Question Re: Oz Speed Cameras

Does anyone know if they use the same Radar frequency for their speed guns in Oz as in the UK i.e will a UK "Snooper" Radar and Laser detector work? Is it legal to use one in Oz? :

Richie
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by rima+kids
Does anyone know if they use the same Radar frequency for their speed guns in Oz as in the UK i.e will a UK "Snooper" Radar and Laser detector work? Is it legal to use one in Oz? :

Richie
My husband has been told by numerous people that they are illegal and that the police here are suposed to have detector detectors and that your fine increased if you have one. Don't know how 100% true this is.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:54 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

Originally Posted by annqldau
Problem with Aus is the speeds are that low it's hard not to speed you just have to blink and you are over the limit..
they are roughly the same - 70mph is approx 110kmph for example (looking at my car speedo)

Did get an excellent video clip i've now deleted that showed man knocked over and given head injury by car doing 30 miles per hour then same man crossing road was not knocked over by car doing 60 miles per hour as it had already passed....motto going slow kills.

By that logic you could say that if the driver was doing 20 miles an hour they wouldn't have got there yet and therefore not killed the pedestrian either

Michelle
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 12:34 am
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by vb2
just to forewarn you guys, we were in the country for two weeks on an english licence (not had time to change over for obvious reasons) and got caught speeding by an officer with a gun

$700 dollar fine and 6 month suspension!!!

ouch that has really hurt us, seeing as now my husband cant even look for work let alone get there!

we tried to appeal but because it was on an english licence there is no jurisdiction to overturn the ban! bloody typical, but to add insult to injury, if we had changed our licence over to an aussie one (which by the way the tell you to DO NOTHING until the suspension notice comes through) then we would have been able to appeal - at this moment in time it is in the hands of an MP so fingers crossed!!
beware out there,
lastly, i have found if you stick to the speed limit here, you find yourself with some irate truck driver up your a**e!!! therefore you cant win!! thats my only gripe about the place so far, otherwise loving it still!!
good luck
vb2
Yikes! You must have been going some!
I got caught doing 110kph in a 100kph limit, got a point and $131 fine, sent them a letter saying driving is my job and Im really sorry, I thought I was in a 110kph limit thats why they caught me doing 110, I got let off with a caution and a full refund! I was on a full UK licence, as we were only doing a recci mission on a 2 week visit.
That wouldnt happen in the UK!!!!!!!!!
So, not a bad experience with Victoria Police.
Cheers,
Paul

Last edited by Rachel & Paul; Apr 23rd 2006 at 12:36 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 12:46 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Oz Speed Cameras

Actually just thinking why do we have to crawl around at 50K to a 110K when planes go so bl**dy fast who used to tell concorde sorry mate slow down there are other planes about?
"Crawl around"? I have no idea what you're talking about.
  • 30 mph = 48.28 km/h - 2 km/h slower than the Aussie suburban limit

• 70 mph = 112.65 km/h - 2 km/h faster than the Aussie highway/freeway limit

If your sense of motion is so accurate that you can feel a tangible difference between 110 km/h and 112 km/h on the highway, you must also have noticed that on Aussie suburban roads you're driving 2 km/h faster than a British suburban road would allow.

Pfffft. So much for having to "crawl around."

Zoom-zoom.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 12:47 am
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All.
Actually, planes have speed limits too, they arent supposed go over 250knotts below 1500 feet. Planes are controlled by computers (very sophisticated ones too) which are supposed to keep them at a safe distance from other aircraft, cars on the other hand are controlled by human judgement, and even worse if its a woman or boy racer! (whoops! I'll just put my fingers in my ears and wait for the onslaught )

Should be some intersting replies, hehe.
I'll just keep the computer switched off for a couple of weeks now, LOL
Bye for now.
Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.