OZ/NZ: Why?

Old Feb 1st 2002, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

I know its off topic kinda....but what are peoples reasons for wanting to emmigrate? (if its not too personal) is it just the weather? the jobs? the general atmosphere?lifestyle?...all of the above?...personnaly I am trying to make sense of the exact reasons why I want to go (not that its needed...but to justify it to my friends, family, myself etc) and would be really interested in other peoples reasons (being a nosey so and so)....

Just curious.
Old Feb 1st 2002, 11:44 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Well yes, you could say, all of the above.
For my wife & myself, it's a case of "I've been here where I live, where I was brought up (The forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, England,which is a nice part of England) for 34 years all my life!!!, but I have had enough & want to experience something completely different before I die!

I may come back after a while, I may not, but at least I tryed to make a change to my life!
We are only here (alive)once (as far as we know!)we get one chance, why live it all in the same place!
It may work out, it may not, who knows, who cares!

Hope it works for you, good luck!
Old Feb 2nd 2002, 5:57 am
Just Joined

James Peach is an unknown quantity at this point

For us it's the opportunity to do something healthier and less rat race-ish than European living - maybe for a few years, maybe a lot longer. Influences: we have worked hard and saved money, so feel less pressure financially than earlier in our lives (we are early- and mid-thirties in age); young kid (hopefully more soon) who will we trust love our NZ lifestyle; easy choice in that NZ has got great advantages such as friendly people, space, beauty, modern western infrastructure (esp business, health, education), good economic possibilities for those with appropriate experience and education, and specific advantages for us (skiing, scuba diving, tramping); we feel we can put a lot in, maybe start a business and certainly get involved in the community - and get a lot out. We know Australia quite well too and I would judge that most if not all of the above applies there too.

James
Old Feb 2nd 2002, 12:22 pm
Mark :-\)

For me its all of the above/below. plus WHAT A GREAT ADVENTURE ! The fear of the
unknown and what life holds in store is one hell of an attraction. We could stay here
in the UK in our nice comfortable life with no worries doing the same thing day in
day out or...as we have done ..apply for PR in OZ ..get it ...sell up ..pack in jobs
...and start fresh in OZ.

You need adventure in your life so that when you sit around the fire in years to come
and your grandchildren ask..."Grandpa why did you move to Australia ?" you can tell
them ..." Son ....coz I wanted to live a little "

Cheers MD

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 2nd 2002, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

colin.helen is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of our family and friends are having real trouble understanding our reasons for moving to the other side of the world.

This thread says it all (I will print it out and show to my Mum!)

Without question it will be hard to take our children away from their Grandparents and family and friends, but this isn't enough to make us stay.

We have lived in the south west of England all our lives, the south west of England is a tiny dot with the rest of the world around it. We can't spend our whole lives only knowing this tiny dot.

We wanted to move, we have known that for years, so we investigated the rest of the UK. North (to cold) South East too expensive. Then we thought there is a whole world out there, and Australia seems to have it all, nice weather, good education system, great outdoor life and cheaper property. Melbourne has the Grand Prix and the Tennis open, festivals and bags of culture.

Hope the PR visa comes through soon, because we can't wait to experience a new life down under!

Good luck to everyone

Helen, Colin, Alice and Harry
Old Feb 2nd 2002, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Personally the whole Australia thing started many many years ago with a feeling of wanting 'more'....I have always struggled to define what the 'more' is....it wasnt money, relationships, job..it had me stumped! After reading the replies to this thread its made me realise what the more is..its a shedload of stuff, a feeling thats kinda hard to explain to other people....

Anyway enough of my ranting (really this kinda stuff should be left until after a long session in the pub
...far to deep for a Saturday afternoon :-) ).

Old Feb 2nd 2002, 2:37 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

I totally agree with all of the above. You only get one life and I for one don't want to in 10 years time be saying, if only, or I wish we had done it like people I know.

My parents are in their 80's and really do not want us to go, my mother informed me this morning that it is not because they will miss me or my husband but that they won't see our little girl growing up. They won't visit us, not because they are in their 80's, they wouldn't have if they had been in their 50's and I find it rather sad that they have no adventure in their lives and can't understand people who want to get out there and experience the world.

As others have said if it doesn't work out you can always come back, we for one won't be, Australia is a big country and we intend to experience it all before we would ever consider coming back.

Look forward to seeing you all down under one day

Susan
Old Feb 2nd 2002, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

britbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hankx for getting me back my inspiration!!

Thank you!!
After all the waiting for the PR's to come through and the bitter disappointment of delays, rumour and speculation, I had just about had enough and was ready to throw the towel in. But having read all the posts on this thread, I remember why we made the decision in the first place and I now don't care how long it takes us to get out to Oz, I'm never giving up because LIFE'S TOO SHORT!!!!
Happier than I've been in along while, Thank You All!
Britbird.
Old Feb 2nd 2002, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Dominic is an unknown quantity at this point

Ever considered that we all may be in our 80s before we get the chance to 'live a little'?
Despondent, soggy and whinging.

Dominic
Old Feb 3rd 2002, 6:56 am

Dominic.

I would much rather be 80+ in Oz than 80+ in the UK. Chances are that I will not end
up despondent, soggy and whinging in Oz whereas, if I stay in the UK I will
definitely end up that way and riddle with arthritis brought on by the cold damp
conditions here.

In some respects my decision to migrate is a future life style one and encompasses
not just my future working life but also my retirement.

Regards MD

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 3rd 2002, 11:25 am
FOX
Forum Regular

FOX is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with brit bird, THANK YOU so much, I`m going to print this out and put it on the wall next to the computer.

Even though we are waiting, at least waiting is on the way to doing something!!

This will cheer me up as I go to walk the dog on a particularly wet and windy British Sunday afternoon!!

Sarah
Old Feb 3rd 2002, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

angie41 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default get real

Originally posted by Mark :-\)
Dominic.

I would much rather be 80+ in Oz than 80+ in the UK. Chances are that I will not end
up despondent, soggy and whinging in Oz whereas, if I stay in the UK I will
definitely end up that way and riddle with arthritis brought on by the cold damp
conditions here.

In some respects my decision to migrate is a future life style one and encompasses
not just my future working life but also my retirement.

Regards MD

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Hey Mark, sounds like you fit the whinging pommy basdard roll, so you should fit right in.
Old Feb 4th 2002, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

remmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really nice
Default OZ/NZ: Why?

I feel soooooo much better after reading some of the above answers!

Another thing to think of is if you should change your mind about staying in Oz (can't think why?!) you could stay there for 2 years or so, claim Citizenship and then have dual nationality.

So you could come back to the UK carry on with your wonderful life(?!) and then retire there (without having to apply for a Retirement Visa which involves having a large stash of cash to qualify, being unable to work and renewal of your Visa every so often - whilst checking you still have sufficient funds).

That's just being negative though!!
Old Feb 4th 2002, 2:21 pm

Gee Thanks Angie

I have been called many things and will take the whinging pommie basdard reference as
a compliment. If i don't start now how the hell am I gonna survive the Auzzie sense
of humour. But then again being a native of ScouseLand...thats Liverpool to the
uninitiaited....I spose i have a bit of a head start having already been endowed with
a sarcastic sense of humour and the ability to laugh at ones self and take most
comments with a very large pinch of salt.

If we bump into each other I will happily buy you a pot or two.

Regards MD

>
    >
I
    >
stay
    >
    >
    >
and
    >
    >
chance
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 4th 2002, 10:25 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Well, this thread has seemed to cheer up a few people & given others the inspiration and determination to carry on with their application/plans, whatever & for one, too show their family that there are more "insane?" people out there that wnat to live a bit as well as their selves!

Good on ya! (as they say downunder) to MrFlibbleUK who started this curious thread and please don't forget us that are going to the land of the long white cloud, ok, we'll get rain & maybe a bit chilly in the winter, but hope to get away from the cold & damp atmosphere of life as we know it in the UK!
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE & don't let the bastards grind ya down!!!!!!