OZ or NZ?

Old Mar 6th 2009, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

dlparry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OZ or NZ?

Hi, I am looking to leave the UK and live abroad. I have been looking at NZ recently as my husband suggested it but I have found myself asking why not Australia, why NZ. We are a family of three, me, my husband and a five year old son. Husband is going to be looking for work as a HGV driver or equivilent, i just want part time work, anything will do during school hours, would like to live in a town, not a big city, where it is warm most of the year, near a beach or within reach of a beach and a house in the region of £100,000. Son has special needs and minor health problems. I know I am probably asking too much. Has anyone live in both? which do they prefer and why? where sounds best for me and my family?

thank you
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OZ or NZ?

Hi

Have never been to NZ but when we first started thinking about emigrating we thought about it. I think both Oz and NZ have their advantages and disadvantages but for us we felt that the wages offered my hubby were far too low to manage on (he's a pharmacist) even here in Tasmania he's earning less than half of what he got in the UK and that's a struggle! Also we were advised my friends who have been to NZ that the cost of living was high, lack of infrastructure, transport etc was not so good.

So we chose Tasmania as we felt it was a compromise between the two places and I feel that it is, it has wonderful scenery, lots of wild places and not so many people! But I'm not sure about getting a house for £100k in Oz or NZ, although I guess there may be suburbs that are cheaper in the bigger cities.

Hopefully someone will come along with experiences of both places, who will be able to give more info. Try asking on the NZ forum on here as well.

Sam
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I have experience of both places and it is a very hard decision and is really based on what you enjoy in life and your needs.

As an HGV driver your husband will almost certainly be on a much higher wage in Australia, especially doing linehaul driving. I know a couple of Kiwis who are leaving NZ to work in Australia because of this. In many cases this extra income is enough to swing the decision.

New Zealand - Pros
-Very clean
-Fantastic access to outdoor activities
-Some of the best scenery in the world
-Much more English than Australia (in weather also, but with better summers)
-No water shortages
-Virtually no poisonous things (no snakes)
-Better TV than Australia
-Better fresh food quality
-Very good education - but this will depend on where you live, if in Auckland you will be OK, but I suspect special needs aren't catered for that much outside major cities.
-I think it is a great place for kids to grow up

New Zealand - Cons
-Generally lower wages
-Higher cost of living in most areas

It's far less populated and busy than Australia so this can be a pro or a con, it also means less choice, less shops and some higher prices.

Feel free to ask any specific questions.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:40 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

First off, do you have a working visa and would you qualify for one? There's no point in making any plans until you know you're eligible to work here.

Secondly, have you looked at housing prices here? You're hoping to find a house for about $250,000 Australian which is frankly not going to happen in most places unless the prices really crash. If you want to know how much houses cost pick a few random areas and have a look at the prices. Check out in the city, out in the suburbs and then the more rural areas. I still think you'd be hard pressed to find a house for $250k, unless of course you had a large deposit and only wanted a $250k mortgage.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
First off, do you have a working visa and would you qualify for one? There's no point in making any plans until you know you're eligible to work here.

Secondly, have you looked at housing prices here? You're hoping to find a house for about $250,000 Australian which is frankly not going to happen in most places unless the prices really crash. If you want to know how much houses cost pick a few random areas and have a look at the prices. Check out in the city, out in the suburbs and then the more rural areas. I still think you'd be hard pressed to find a house for $250k, unless of course you had a large deposit and only wanted a $250k mortgage.
I wouldn't be that worried, there are plenty of houses available for that price. I don't know Queensland, but in Victoria you would easily get a house in Geelong for instance for that price and it's a major town, close to beaches etc. Only thing is it's cold in winter.

In NZ, I think you would struggle, but then again many places in NZ are never far from beaches anyway. If you want smaller towns then Tauranga could be a place to look at, beautiful beaches around there - as good as anything 99% of Australia has.

http://www.realestate.co.nz/969173
http://www.realestate.co.nz/1004550?order_by=1
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:40 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

What health conditions?

Agree with SR71

For NZ I would look at Rotorua

For Oz consider Melbourne or perhaps Canberra (never been) but heard of alot of drivers based there who do East coast long haul (pays better than short day runs).

Get away from considering house prices in terms of £100k its all relative to mortgage repayments and overall family budget. You may spend more on accomodation but less on holidays (because you might find holidays cheaper not for reason of giving them up).

Also consider that between Oz and NZ they are considering the flights domestic ie no international borders which will drop prices by about 30% and therefore live in Oz for the money and opportunities and holiday in NZ (or even buy house for retirement there and earn the higher currency to pay it off)
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:19 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dlparry
Hi, I am looking to leave the UK and live abroad. I have been looking at NZ recently as my husband suggested it but I have found myself asking why not Australia, why NZ. We are a family of three, me, my husband and a five year old son. Husband is going to be looking for work as a HGV driver or equivilent, i just want part time work, anything will do during school hours, would like to live in a town, not a big city, where it is warm most of the year, near a beach or within reach of a beach and a house in the region of £100,000. Son has special needs and minor health problems. I know I am probably asking too much. Has anyone live in both? which do they prefer and why? where sounds best for me and my family?

thank you
If you want somewhere thats warm most of the year then why are you considering NZ, is'nt it very cold half the year. WAges, employment and the economy is better in OZ.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:21 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
What health conditions?

Agree with SR71

For NZ I would look at Rotorua

For Oz consider Melbourne or perhaps Canberra (never been) but heard of alot of drivers based there who do East coast long haul (pays better than short day runs).

Get away from considering house prices in terms of £100k its all relative to mortgage repayments and overall family budget. You may spend more on accomodation but less on holidays (because you might find holidays cheaper not for reason of giving them up).

Also consider that between Oz and NZ they are considering the flights domestic ie no international borders which will drop prices by about 30% and therefore live in Oz for the money and opportunities and holiday in NZ (or even buy house for retirement there and earn the higher currency to pay it off)
They said they don't want a big city so that rules out Melbounre and it would be out of their price range and they don't want somewhere cold, Melbounre and Canberra are cold half the year.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:53 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
They said they don't want a big city so that rules out Melbounre and it would be out of their price range and they don't want somewhere cold, Melbounre and Canberra are cold half the year.
Dont know where you think Melbourne is cold from? another myth.

Greater melbourne entails numerous small village towns which would deem suitable.

Perhaps you are refering incorrectly to Melbounre in Qld which is desert and has a population of 300? Hardly call that a city, but might be for you coming from a one horse town.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:21 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Shhhhh...thats the plan

We loved NZ sooo much and are desperate to go back soon. However I don't think I could live there full time...yet
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:25 pm
Banned

l think its just like the OZ vs UK debate, people saying one country is utopia the other crap, both countries have their postivites and negatives, its up to the individual some people might love one country but hate another while others might like think both countries are nice places to live. Theres no right or wrong answer which country is better. If it was Afghanistan vs OZ then saying OZ is a better country to live would pity much be the correct or universal answer. Although some in the MBTUK forum may disagree.

Last edited by mohogony; Mar 7th 2009 at 2:31 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi

Have never been to NZ but when we first started thinking about emigrating we thought about it. I think both Oz and NZ have their advantages and disadvantages but for us we felt that the wages offered my hubby were far too low to manage on (he's a pharmacist) even here in Tasmania he's earning less than half of what he got in the UK and that's a struggle! Also we were advised my friends who have been to NZ that the cost of living was high, lack of infrastructure, transport etc was not so good.

So we chose Tasmania as we felt it was a compromise between the two places and I feel that it is, it has wonderful scenery, lots of wild places and not so many people! But I'm not sure about getting a house for £100k in Oz or NZ, although I guess there may be suburbs that are cheaper in the bigger cities.

Hopefully someone will come along with experiences of both places, who will be able to give more info. Try asking on the NZ forum on here as well.

Sam
Not many long haul driving jobs in Tassie.......so the island state would not be an option for your work needs. Good luck in your search.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by imanaussie
Not many long haul driving jobs in Tassie.......so the island state would not be an option for your work needs. Good luck in your search.
I wasn't suggesting Tasmania as a dextination, just explaining that we had also considered the two countries and why we had chosen to settle here.

I don't think Tas would tick all of her boxes as it certainly is not warm here all year!

Sam
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:01 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

For us its Australia, Tasmania. After living in Christchurch NZ for a year i would have to say Tassie is better. But this is just our own opinion and personal experiences. Money is way better as is the weather etc. Not lived on the mainland so cannot comment on that. NZ is stunning scenery wise for sure. No dangerous snakes etc. But we did have many white tail spiders in our rental that some how are getting every where (Aussie spider).
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lenmil
For us its Australia, Tasmania. After living in Christchurch NZ for a year i would have to say Tassie is better. But this is just our own opinion and personal experiences. Money is way better as is the weather etc. Not lived on the mainland so cannot comment on that. NZ is stunning scenery wise for sure. No dangerous snakes etc. But we did have many white tail spiders in our rental that some how are getting every where (Aussie spider).
Are snakes and spiders a reason to choose one country over the other when no one in OZ has died from a spider bite in 30 years and its rare to see a snake especially if you live in suburbia , very few people get bitten and even less die only around 2 a year, most often they were only bitten because they picked up , stepped on or tried to kill the snake. More people die from bee and wasp stings in the UK then snakes and spiders in OZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.