oz or nz?

Old Dec 22nd 2003, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Buttercup75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oz or nz?

Hubby and I (after years of discussion) are now ready to flee the uk, however, hubby is set on oz, where I am more in favour of nz only because of the lack of deadly spiders and snakes! Creepy crawlies aside, what are the for and against arguments for which country to choose?

Any constuctive comments will be VERY greatfully recieved (and yes, I have searched extensively on google, but the people comments are what counts the most )
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 11:41 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not think creepy crawlies should determine where you live. Far worse things can happen in either country. What do you enjoy in life and what are you looking for in your new country?
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

I understand what you are saying (and it truely sounds pathetic I know) but I would be constantly worried about the children being bitten by something potentially fatal, I would be a nervous wreck!

As for what we are looking for in life, its the blissful scene's, warm climate, safer enviroment, less traffic, and a less crowded place to live (without being isolated as we enjoy the company of friends and meeting new people)
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:14 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Buttercup75
I understand what you are saying (and it truely sounds pathetic I know) but I would be constantly worried about the children being bitten by something potentially fatal, I would be a nervous wreck!

As for what we are looking for in life, its the blissful scene's, warm climate, safer enviroment, less traffic, and a less crowded place to live (without being isolated as we enjoy the company of friends and meeting new people)
Nah! That's not pathetic. Try doing a search on 'spiders' on the forum and you'll see that a lot of people have gone screaming when confronted by a spider. Me included! (mind you, he was a big bastard!!)

Let's see - you live in the UK - adders and vipers, innit? Not to mention the daddy longlegs, one of the most toxic spiders in the world (fortunately with jaws too small to actually inject you...)

Do a search, Buttercup, and you'll see that knowledge is the cure to arachnophobia. As far as snakes are concerned, we have a property up in the Blue Mountains, which is supposed to have snakes on it... I can't say, coz I've never seen any.

Worry more about flies - they're much more of a hazard!!
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:22 am
ABCDiamond

Hi
I understand your comments about being worried for the children, but dont worry, they will learn more about what is dangerous to them from school. My 7 year old knows more about them than I do now. I used to worry the same as you, but if i am in doubt now, i get my daughter to check. I still dont like her going too close though I have heard that NZ has just as many dangerous spiders as OZ.

Snakes ? Well, I have found OZ safer than the UK for snakes, but that's another story.

I cant help with choosing between OZ & NZ, but OZ is most certainly better than UK.

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:24 am
Just Joined

Hi downunderpom,
I was actually all up for moving to oz until I did a search on spiders and snakes on this site! :scared:
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your comments ABC, wasn't your daughter scared when she was taught of the dangers at school?
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:28 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Hi downunderpom,
I was actually all up for moving to oz until I did a search on spiders and snakes on this site! :scared:
Then that would have told you that they're considered friends, rather than foes?

To be serious for a minute (if that's possible) the spiders here are NOT a problem. Neither are snakes. They're just part of the natural landscape. It's only when I'm on here, talking to fraidy cat Poms ( ) that I even give them a thought, and if you saw the thread where I posted my experience with a rather large fruit spider as a kid, then you'll know that I'd be the first to worry about them if they really were a threat.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:28 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi downunderpom,
Buttercup, sorry to burst your bubble, but if you are moving to NZ cos there arent any spiders (poisonous or not) you will be sorely disappointed!

Never mind, I hear Spain is nice .
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:32 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Buttercup, sorry to burst your bubble, but if you are moving to NZ cos there arent any spiders (poisonous or not) you will be sorely disappointed!

Never mind, I hear Spain is nice .
Yeah, Mrs D, but the Spanish cockroaches are HUGE! :scared:
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It does sound pathetic because you are putting your kids in far more danger by driving with them.

For less traffic avoid Auckland. For no isolation avoid NZ full stop.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:33 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your comments ABC, wasn't your daughter scared when she was taught of the dangers at school?
Why would she be scared?

To put it in perspective, are you terrified everytime you get in a car? Or on a train? or walk down the street? Or eat red meat?

You have a hundred (possibly thousands) times more chance of dying doing any one of those things in the UK than you are of even getting bitten by a spider or a snake in Oz.

Information & education goes along way to alleiviating fear of the *boogeyman*.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Dec 23rd 2003 at 12:37 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:34 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by downunderpom
Yeah, Mrs D, but the Spanish cockroaches are HUGE! :scared:
LOL so I should avoid there when we head to Europe on our holiday?
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I lived in NZ for 2yrs and have just moved to Oz. This is only my personal opinion, but Oz wins hands down.

NZ may be nice to look at etc, but you soon get bored with a view. Their road infasructure is appauling and standard of housing very bad. Try heating them in the winter!!!!!!!! Australia has some extremely beautiful scenery very much on par with anything in NZ.
I am yet to see a spider or snake!!!

There are many other issues too but i dont want to be too negative as different people want different things and you may well love it there. I think it better if you just ask questions on htings you need to know to make your decision. I am happy to answer honestly.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:37 am
Just Joined

Downunderpom - Thankyou for your honest and re-assurring comments

mrsdagboy & bondipom - Ooooooo what sharp tongues! LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.