Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz medical costs for a one-legged diabetic?

Oz medical costs for a one-legged diabetic?

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:27 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Red face Oz medical costs for a one-legged diabetic?

My son in law is type 1 insulin diabetic. He also has a false leg which needs regular maintenance. My daughter and her husband would like to try to come and join us after we migrate and apart from the worry of whether or not he would get through the medical, he is concerned about the costs of his medication out there.

Do they have cheaper ways of buying long term medication? Are there facilities in Perth for having regular checks on prosthetics? He also receives motorbility allowance here and gets and brand new car every three years for £1500.

Basically are they going to seriously out of pocket if they go to Australia?
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz medical costs for a one-legged diabetic?

You might get more response on the Immigration forum. I think there might be problems getting through the medical though, because of expected high costs in Australia for him.
I also recommend getting an agent - someone like Peter Bollard, who gets recommended a lot for medical stuff - search the Immigration forum, he's been mentioned there a lot.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You might get more response on the Immigration forum. I think there might be problems getting through the medical though, because of expected high costs in Australia for him.
I also recommend getting an agent - someone like Peter Bollard, who gets recommended a lot for medical stuff - search the Immigration forum, he's been mentioned there a lot.

Thanks for that.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Thanks for that.
BTW. The leg wasn't taken off because of diabetes but because he had cancer when he was 15!!