Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz investment property when living in UK

Oz investment property when living in UK

Old Sep 7th 2013, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oz investment property when living in UK

So when living in Oz you can negative gear an investment property against your income, but if you are living in the UK can you still negative gear if you have no Oz income coming in?

Just thinking if its worthwhile or the worst investment ever.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Oz investment property when living in UK

Originally Posted by Beoz
So when living in Oz you can negative gear an investment property against your income, but if you are living in the UK can you still negative gear if you have no Oz income coming in?

Just thinking if its worthwhile or the worst investment ever.
No you can't because you fall under UK tax law which doesn't allow negative gearing.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

i.e. losses get carried forward to be set against future profits under UK tax law.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
i.e. losses get carried forward to be set against future profits under UK tax law.
Thanks Louie. What do you exactly mean by this? Can you provide an example?

Reason for asking, as a ping pomer I feel it may be a good idea to have a place in both the UK and Australia for the future. Affordability is fine for us. We could do both now in our midlife. Having a UK investment property living in Oz would work. Rental income is currently close if not better than mortgage repayments .... depending on how much we slap down. But if it were the other way around and we were living in the UK and had an investment property in Oz the return in rent is so much lower than a mortgage repayments. This is where NG would kick in but to the best of my knowledge you would have to have other sources of Oz income to offset the loss against. ... right? So in theory ..... my theory sucks right?
Old Sep 7th 2013, 11:24 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

You can't negatively gear loss-making property anywhere in the world against UK income.

BB
Old Sep 7th 2013, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You can't negatively gear loss-making property anywhere in the world against UK income.

BB
I don't think you can negatively gear anything against UK income. Thats where I believe it wouldn't work. But if you were living in the UK, had an Oz investment property, and had another source of Oz income where you were paying Oz tax against, you may be able to offset against that?

How do all these foreign (mainly chinese) investors do it?
Old Sep 8th 2013, 12:21 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Oz investment property when living in UK

if you were living in the UK, had an Oz investment property, and had another source of Oz income where you were paying Oz tax against, you may be able to offset against that?

How do all these foreign (mainly chinese) investors do it?
Foreign investors do not pay tax in Australia on non-Australian earnings so they would not be able to negatively gear.

If you had an alternative income in Australia you would definitely be able to gear against it, assuming it was large enough to attract tax in the first place.

BB
Old Sep 8th 2013, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Foreign investors do not pay tax in Australia on non-Australian earnings so they would not be able to negatively gear.

If you had an alternative income in Australia you would definitely be able to gear against it, assuming it was large enough to attract tax in the first place.

BB
So a foreign investor, would be mortgage free, collecting their 4-8% and banking on appreciation.

I guess in my shoes, which wouldn't be mortgage free, it's a bad idea to live in the UK and have an investment property in Oz. I'd be sending a lot of money back to top up the mortgage and nothing to offset the loss against.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Craig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by louie
This is the position in Australia. that is, you can carry forward losses so that when you do move back to aus you can write off those losses against your income here.

If you dont intend to move back and earn aud paying aud tax... then yeah, you are in it for the capital growth/forced savings/future income aspect.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

Just remember that from 8 May 2012 the Australian Government took away the 50% CGT discount applying to assets held for more than 12 months for non-residents - which makes continuing to hold an investment property in Australia less attractive in your type of situation. But, if you intend to come back to Australia and live it is probably useful to maintain some exposure to the property market as a hedge.

Suggest you get some proper tax advice - UK and Australian - before you make any investment.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fardell
Just remember that from 8 May 2012 the Australian Government took away the 50% CGT discount applying to assets held for more than 12 months for non-residents - which makes continuing to hold an investment property in Australia less attractive in your type of situation. But, if you intend to come back to Australia and live it is probably useful to maintain some exposure to the property market as a hedge.

Suggest you get some proper tax advice - UK and Australian - before you make any investment.
Thanks for note on the CGT. Yes I did receive some tax advice on it. Not sure it was the best advice, but the tax adviser was selling the idea of negative gearing until I brought up the idea of living outside Australia. Then the conversation stopped.

Just wondering if anyone living in the UK has an investment property in Oz and is it a loss making exercise?

I know 2 people that had investments property in Sydney for a few years but ended up selling as there more attractive propositions for tax purposes abroad.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for note on the CGT. Yes I did receive some tax advice on it. Not sure it was the best advice, but the tax adviser was selling the idea of negative gearing until I brought up the idea of living outside Australia. Then the conversation stopped.

Just wondering if anyone living in the UK has an investment property in Oz and is it a loss making exercise?

I know 2 people that had investments property in Sydney for a few years but ended up selling as there more attractive propositions for tax purposes abroad.
Are you really sure it would be loss making anyway, with the lower Australian interest rates these days? Rent lower than mortgage payment does not make it loss making, rent lower than mortgage interest expense makes it loss making.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Are you really sure it would be loss making anyway, with the lower Australian interest rates these days? Rent lower than mortgage payment does not make it loss making, rent lower than mortgage interest expense makes it loss making.
Absolutely. Not always a loss, especially being able to structure an interest only, offset account thing, but where I would like to have a property, rent v mortgage is not so close so if the interest rate were to increase there could be trouble.

I went and looked at a flat to rent on the weekend. Waterfront place on the harbour. Rent was 700 per week. Had a little peek at what what the owner bought it for. 1 million. That's a big difference and really a low percentage gain there.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 6:01 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

As Craig has said at #9, the opportunity for claiming the rental property loss is when you return to live in Australia.

Otherwise you will be funding the loss with no tax deduction to mitigate the position.

And if you turn a rental surplus you'll be paying Aus tax at 32.5% on the first $ of income, assuming you are not tax resident in Australia.

Ditto for any capital gains, with no 50% discount available these days.

Am always surprised the Aus property spruikers get properties sold. The tax breaks are far better for Aus residents who are investing overseas, particularly while the A$ is relatively strong.

Best regards.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
As Craig has said at #9, the opportunity for claiming the rental property loss is when you return to live in Australia.

Otherwise you will be funding the loss with no tax deduction to mitigate the position.

And if you turn a rental surplus you'll be paying Aus tax at 32.5% on the first $ of income, assuming you are not tax resident in Australia.

Ditto for any capital gains, with no 50% discount available these days.

Am always surprised the Aus property spruikers get properties sold. The tax breaks are far better for Aus residents who are investing overseas, particularly while the A$ is relatively strong.

Best regards.
Good round up of info there.

I wonder how all those offshore investors (namely the Chinese) do it. OR do they just love property OR they are so insanely rich it doesn't matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.