Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz - how old to leave child alone?

Oz - how old to leave child alone?

Old Jun 27th 2007, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

soldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of light
Question Oz - how old to leave child alone?

hi

Just wondered if any one knows legally, how old it acceptable to leave a child alone at home - my 13 year old is getting to the age where it is uncool to keep going out with mum, I have told him that he will have to grin and bear it for a while, but for how long???
The school holidays are coming up and you should see his face when I mention a shopping trip, involving clothes and baby shops (it looks something like this ).
Thanks

Gothchick
Old Jun 27th 2007, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Gothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant future
Default Re: Oz - how old to leave child alone?

Originally Posted by soldierblue
hi

Just wondered if any one knows legally, how old it acceptable to leave a child alone at home - my 13 year old is getting to the age where it is uncool to keep going out with mum, I have told him that he will have to grin and bear it for a while, but for how long???
The school holidays are coming up and you should see his face when I mention a shopping trip, involving clothes and baby shops (it looks something like this ).
Thanks

Gothchick
My bl**dy hubby was logged in again, wish he would log out afterwards, the thread was from me anyway.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 5:38 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the kid I guess. If he's vaguely responsible, I don't see the problem with leaving a 13 year old alone at home.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

We leave our 13 year old at home on his own from time to time. Don't know what the strict legal position is though.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 5:55 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

A quick Google reveals this website:

http://raisingchildren.net.au/articl...one_-_cyh.html

And one particularly for NSW:

http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/documents/paralone.pdf

Last edited by Geordie George; Jun 27th 2007 at 5:57 am.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Gothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Geordie George
thanks
doesn't seem to be any law,
But can I trust him????

Gothchick
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:06 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gothchick
thanks
But can I trust him????

Gothchick
Only you and SB knows that
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

A friend of mine has had a similar dilemma. They started off with leaving their 13 year old for about half an hour and gradually built up the time he was on his own.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't leave any child under 10, from then it depends on how long I'm going for and how sensible the child is. I left my eldest at 10 to take the youngest to brownies in the UK - it was a 10 minute trip. Longer than that both she and I would not be happy. I do a volunteer job on wednesday mornings - out from 8.15 to 12.45. During the holidays I leave the girls at home. If it was just the youngest I would take her with me (she's 12) but probably only because she would get bored on her own and once I'm there I can't leave so she comes and is bored but not alone.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:55 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we leave our 10 and 11 year olds alone for short periods, they are excellent and always do a wee but tidying up to prove that they can be left. They know not to answer the door if we are out, or answer the phone and my mobile number is always prog into the fone so they can call at the touch of a button....they usually do call to ask us to bring them a treat lol......or to ask to go on the playstation. So far they have proved to be very sensible and mature
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gothchick
thanks
But can I trust him????

Gothchick
Of corse not... he's a teenager! (surely you can remember!) but that shouldn't make any difference!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

my 10 year old boy is ok for an hour or two here in the uk, he knows the neighbours, knows the gound rules and wouldn't adventure out or do anything too stupid as he is a senisible lad (and possibly too lazy to get into any trouble)

I'm happy to leave the 10 & 8 year olds with the 16 year old as they are good together, but I usually tell them all that the 8 year old is in charge as she is the most sensible... (with a smile on my face)

However, the 6 year old is a hideous;y behaved risk taking dare deveil epxlorer who is independent...... so he isn't safe to be left, even with his dad.... his favourite passtimes are pointy sticks, pen knives and lighting bonfires.... so obviously he will be 30 brfore he is left alone in the house...

They are all different.... so the same rules can't apply to all of them....

It also depends of where I am going as to whether I leave them....

As for playing out on their own..... the 10 year old is allowed to the park, but he a, has to be with reliable friends/ sister and b, has to check in every 45 minutes for may sanity... I figure the sooner I notice he is missing the better....
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that there is something that says you must not leave children alone unless the eldest is 14. That's for NSW. Don't know about a single child.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I'm pretty sure that there is something that says you must not leave children alone unless the eldest is 14. That's for NSW. Don't know about a single child.
It was 14 in the UK. And didn't my old dear know it!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:58 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It was 14 in the UK. And didn't my old dear know it!
You'd get a clip round the ear if you were my son, and called me your 'old dear' !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.