Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz has problems just like the UK

Oz has problems just like the UK

Old Jan 25th 2010, 2:00 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz has problems just like the UK

Originally Posted by BAY
Immigration quotas will still be the same.
Spoilsport!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:05 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j and k
Hi, we lived in Perth for 6 months in 2008..... then we'd had enough and came back!

Same s__t different toilet! comes to mind...

Ok there's a beach and sunshine but apart from that it's the same as anywhere.

No fairytale if you ask me (which i'm sure you won't, as most of you will be in we're going and that's that mode!!! just like us!!!)

My advise is to definately go on a recky first.

Is it really worth giving up on friends and family for a distant desert?

And to all those who are leaving the uk because of the immigration problems here........remember over there you'll be a pom! That's what i got on my first day at work: " That's whats gonna **** this country up!" NICE WELCOME
It's very overrated. Not totally s***, but very overrated.

I've written my views on this on another thread just now.

I fail to see why some people get so damn excited by the place and think it's the best thing ever. I just don't get what makes them feel that way, apart from cognitive dissonance in some cases.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:07 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big_matt
People seem to think that moving to Australia will automatically be the answer to all of their problems. This is partly due to promotion both from Australia itself and UK media which paints the lifestyle here as lying on a beach 7 days a week sipping cocktails.

The fact that you know there is a beach in your city doesn't change your life unless you make an effort to change it. If you sit in front of a computer for 12 hours each day in the UK then move here and do the same thing, your life wont magically improve just because there is a beach half an hour away.

You have to make the effort to get the most out of the lifestyle here, and also not expect that its going to be paradise on earth.

This isn't meant as a pop against the original poster. I'm just amazed about the number of threads where people move here and expect that if they keep doing a job they hate and a commute they hate etc, things will suddenly be amazing purely because they now live in Australia. Ain't gonna happen.
Some people seem to find the increased sunshine makes them deliriously happy and content. Not sure why though.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mono
It's very overrated. Not totally s***, but very overrated.

I've written my views on this on another thread just now.

I fail to see why some people get so damn excited by the place and think it's the best thing ever. I just don't get what makes them feel that way, apart from cognitive dissonance in some cases.
Maybe because they like the country ? Have you considered that possibility ?

But then if you read things carefully, and not make things up, you may see that very few get "so damn excited by the place and think it's the best thing ever" (in your words).

Most people feel that "on balance" Australia is better for them, simple as that.

But to you, that reads as "Cognitive dissonance". Pity really.

Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:12 am
ABCDiamond

Some people seem to find the increased sunshine makes them deliriously happy and content. Not sure why though.
Do you really know anyone that gets like that ? "deliriously happy and content from Sunshine". ? Content I would agree with, but deliriously happy ?

Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to get involved in your arguement but I think, from experience of living in hot countries, that there is a link between sunshine and happiness/contentment/whatever and vice versa - which is probably why Scandanavian countries have high suicide rates.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:15 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Whats your problem mate: don't you like to see/hear that people like Australia and are happy ? Yes sunshine does make a big difference ... maybe you're suffering from a lack of it and are sufferring from S.A.D.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by BAY
Whats your problem mate: don't you like to see/hear that people like Australia and are happy ? Yes sunshine does make a big difference ... maybe you're suffering from a lack of it and are sufferring from S.A.D. :rofl:
In Melbourne? In January?

No, I don't have S.A.D. but you are most certainly quite sad if you think that's insightful or funny.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:20 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't want to get involved in your arguement but I think, from experience of living in hot countries, that there is a link between sunshine and happiness/contentment/whatever and vice versa - which is probably why Scandanavian countries have high suicide rates.
Why has Australia seen rising suicide rates over the past decade during which there has been increasing amounts of warm/hot weather due to the drought?

Explain that, if you will.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/well...0820-es3p.html
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:23 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

In Melbourne? In January?

No, I don't have S.A.D. but you are most certainly quite sad if you think that's insightful or funny.
Why are you so angry and resentful of people who like Australia ?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:25 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by j and k
Hi, we lived in Perth for 6 months in 2008..... then we'd had enough and came back!

Same s__t different toilet! comes to mind...

Ok there's a beach and sunshine but apart from that it's the same as anywhere.

No fairytale if you ask me (which i'm sure you won't, as most of you will be in we're going and that's that mode!!! just like us!!!)

My advise is to definately go on a recky first.

Is it really worth giving up on friends and family for a distant desert?

And to all those who are leaving the uk because of the immigration problems here........remember over there you'll be a pom! That's what i got on my first day at work: " That's whats gonna **** this country up!" NICE WELCOME
Perth is a small isolated city surrounded by desert, if you lived in the east where 95% of the population of OZ lives it might have been different,although alot of people love Perth.
and being called a " POM" is'nt an insult, people find it insulting then they shouldnt move to OZ.
You said Perth " is no fairytale" sounds like you were expectecting your life in OZ to be a fairytale which it is'nt, which is why you are disappointed

Last edited by mohogony; Jan 25th 2010 at 5:33 am.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by BAY
Why are you so angry and resentful of people who like Australia ?
Because they exhibit an unshakeable belief that Australia is better than basically everywhere based on virtually nothing. They will not except a criticism of Australia when as far as I can see Australia is every bit as flawed (at least) as the UK/Europe.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Why has Australia seen rising suicide rates over the past decade during which there has been increasing amounts of warm/hot weather due to the drought?

Explain that, if you will.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/well...0820-es3p.html
Read the first line of my post Turbo.

I really cannot be arsed with this - I've seen it all a zillion times before on BE.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:30 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Read the first line of my post Turbo.

I really cannot be arsed with this - I've seen it all a zillion times before on BE.
Yeah, ooh look, someone I've never heard of is slagging off Perth - Yawn
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:31 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Because they exhibit an unshakeable belief that Australia is better than basically everywhere based on virtually nothing. They will not except a criticism of Australia when as far as I can see Australia is every bit as flawed (at least) as the UK/Europe.
So do you like Australia ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.