Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz has problems just like the UK

Oz has problems just like the UK

Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz has problems just like the UK

Originally Posted by paulry
"Relocation: Phil Down Under" is a prime example of that. It looked like heaven on earth in this weeks show.
Is that where they bought that house in Quinns Rocks? I wish their kids good luck at the local school as they get their heads kicked in every day by the local feral and aboriginal kids.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:12 am
ABCDiamond

You lucky sod!
It took me 12 years living in Australia to find this spot !

It suits me But it isn't for everyone.

Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:19 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by j and k
Hi, we lived in Perth for 6 months in 2008..... then we'd had enough and came back!

Same s__t different toilet! comes to mind...

Ok there's a beach and sunshine but apart from that it's the same as anywhere.

No fairytale if you ask me (which i'm sure you won't, as most of you will be in we're going and that's that mode!!! just like us!!!)

My advise is to definately go on a recky first.

Is it really worth giving up on friends and family for a distant desert?

And to all those who are leaving the uk because of the immigration problems here........remember over there you'll be a pom! That's what i got on my first day at work: " That's whats gonna **** this country up!" NICE WELCOME
Are you bored in the UK ? , why otherwise start this thread when you've been back in the UK since 2/2/2009 ? ... and you are obviously very sensitive, need to toughen up I've been in Perth nearly 2 years now, best thing I've ever done, great country and great people.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:20 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Quinns Rocks is right near me, its nice but nothing flash, bet they made it look fab on the program? I also feel the isolation etc etc in Perth, although I love it over east.

I watched WDU and yes they do make it seem like a dream world, its certainly different when you have to live/work here for real, no wonder people want to come out here.

I don't think I would have the balls to move anywhere without visiting first, I also had holidays out here before deciding to make the move. And that was different too, but think having family already living here made our decision more informed.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:22 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
I've been in Perth nearly 2 years now, best thing I've ever done, great country and great people.
Been here 7. Love it. Wonderful place.

BUT - I was lucky enough to come when the exchange rate was good and sold my UK house at the peak.

I would be a lot more hesitant to make the move now if I had to live in a rough suburb with a big mortgage.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:24 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Is that where they bought that house in Quinns Rocks? I wish their kids good luck at the local school as they get their heads kicked in every day by the local feral and aboriginal kids.
Yes, that was the one. Four minutes walk to the beach.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:27 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Quinns Rocks is right near me, its nice but nothing flash, bet they made it look fab on the program? I also feel the isolation etc etc in Perth, although I love it over east.

I watched WDU and yes they do make it seem like a dream world, its certainly different when you have to live/work here for real, no wonder people want to come out here.

I don't think I would have the balls to move anywhere without visiting first, I also had holidays out here before deciding to make the move. And that was different too, but think having family already living here made our decision more informed.
They didn't show much other than the house and the beach. Both looked amazing

The opening sequences of the programme were tantalising.

Last edited by paulry; Jan 25th 2010 at 12:29 am.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

They didn't show much other than the house and the beach. Both looked amazing

The opening sequences of the programme were tantalising.
I remember back in the UK, we were hanging out with a lot of aussies and most of them would make the places they came from in OZ sound like heaven on earth.

Once we moved here I ended up visiting many of these places and would find the utopia created in the minds of a homesick aussie in london was generally a isolated or grubby bit of beach in some town with sky high unemployment and a drug problem to boot.

BBC shows on OZ should be viewed with the same caution IMO
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BAY
Are you bored in the UK ? , why otherwise start this thread when you've been back in the UK since 2/2/2009 ? :
A possible ping pong ?
I must say the weather here is miserable!!!!

And if i can convince my family i'll be back (oz) !!!

Goodbye, until the next thread!

Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we lived in Perth for 6 months in 2008..... then we'd had enough and came back!

Same s__t different toilet! comes to mind...

Ok there's a beach and sunshine but apart from that it's the same as anywhere.

No fairytale if you ask me (which i'm sure you won't, as most of you will be in we're going and that's that mode!!! just like us!!!)

My advise is to definately go on a recky first.

Is it really worth giving up on friends and family for a distant desert?

And to all those who are leaving the uk because of the immigration problems here........remember over there you'll be a pom! That's what i got on my first day at work: " That's whats gonna **** this country up!" NICE WELCOME
So in other words you prefer UK to Australia
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:31 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I remember back in the UK, we were hanging out with a lot of aussies and most of them would make the places they came from in OZ sound like heaven on earth.

Once we moved here I ended up visiting many of these places and would find the utopia created in the minds of a homesick aussie in london was generally a isolated or grubby bit of beach in some town with sky high unemployment and a drug problem to boot.

BBC shows on OZ should be viewed with the same caution IMO
Not sure what places you visited in Oz but we live in Perth and the beaches and parks are 'like heaven on earth' . Its a fantastic city to live in.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
Not sure what places you visited in Oz but we live in Perth and the beaches and parks are 'like heaven on earth' . Its a fantastic city to live in.
We are indeed fortunate to live in such a beautiful and prosperous city.

The negativity on this site can be appalling at times.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

People seem to think that moving to Australia will automatically be the answer to all of their problems. This is partly due to promotion both from Australia itself and UK media which paints the lifestyle here as lying on a beach 7 days a week sipping cocktails.

The fact that you know there is a beach in your city doesn't change your life unless you make an effort to change it. If you sit in front of a computer for 12 hours each day in the UK then move here and do the same thing, your life wont magically improve just because there is a beach half an hour away.

You have to make the effort to get the most out of the lifestyle here, and also not expect that its going to be paradise on earth.

This isn't meant as a pop against the original poster. I'm just amazed about the number of threads where people move here and expect that if they keep doing a job they hate and a commute they hate etc, things will suddenly be amazing purely because they now live in Australia. Ain't gonna happen.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:50 am
Banned

"Relocation Phil Down Under" certainly made Perth look like a great place to be. Prepare yourselves for a re-invigorated immigrant invasion

...While I head off to Australia's best kept secret
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:57 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

"Relocation Phil Down Under" certainly made Perth look like a great place to be. Prepare yourselves for a re-invigorated immigrant invasion

...While I head off to Australia's best kept secret
Immigration quotas will still be the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.