Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz has problems just like the UK

Oz has problems just like the UK

Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:22 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz has problems just like the UK

did you really expect a fairy tale?

Australia is different to Britain not better or worse but different however global problems are just that and exist in every country to expect them not to is naive

there are many many threads saying basically same shit shinier or just different bucket.
why then does it come as such a surprise for some people?

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience there are rednecks all over the world
I have lived in a fair amount of different countries basically people are the same the world over and so is daily living to a certain extent
the things that make places different are the culture and scenery

I enjoy it but then I live in Sydney, you didn't enjoy it which is a shame but I hope you are happier in the UK good luck xx

Last edited by asher; Jan 24th 2010 at 10:48 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

j and k has a spectacular aura aboutj and k has a spectacular aura aboutj and k has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 77hil
Why create this thread now if all this happened nearly 2 years ago?
Well how long do you think it takes, given the stresses and expenses involved to re-build your lives after such a big move?

Dont want to put anyone off, just saying go on a recky first.

We arrived back in the uk 02/02/2009 so it's just a year.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

So had you never been to Australia before you moved?
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

j and k has a spectacular aura aboutj and k has a spectacular aura aboutj and k has a spectacular aura about

So had you never been to Australia before you moved?
No, i believed the wanted down under series!!! and friends holiday opinions!!!
More the fool me!

I MUST BE CRAZY!
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

I'm always amazed by people that make a move this big without ever going there before. Must take a lot of guts.

The wife and I are moving after 5 long holidays there which we loved. The wife's sister moved without ever going before and she didn't really like it either.

I think if you haven't loved the place beforehand then you're going to be far more unforgiving about the negatives when they hit you, as I'm sure they will when we get there.

A holiday in Australia beforehand is definitely a good idea.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:52 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always amazed by people that make a move this big without ever going there before. Must take a lot of guts.

The wife and I are moving after 5 long holidays there which we loved. The wife's sister moved without ever going before and she didn't really like it either.

I think if you haven't loved the place beforehand then you're going to be far more unforgiving about the negatives when they hit you, as I'm sure they will when we get there.

We didn't have a reccie we had never been to Aus before, but we did loads of research, had jobs lined up, a realistic time scale to try it out ie 2 years and had back up plans in place in case we hated it.
but then we are used to living abroad
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

Anne down under is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by j and k
Hi, we lived in Perth for 6 months in 2008..... then we'd had enough and came back!

Same s__t different toilet! comes to mind...

Ok there's a beach and sunshine but apart from that it's the same as anywhere.

No fairytale if you ask me (which i'm sure you won't, as most of you will be in we're going and that's that mode!!! just like us!!!)

My advise is to definately go on a recky first.

Is it really worth giving up on friends and family for a distant desert?

And to all those who are leaving the uk because of the immigration problems here........remember over there you'll be a pom! That's what i got on my first day at work: " That's whats gonna **** this country up!" NICE WELCOME
you need to get a bit of a tougher skin if you're going to survive over here mate.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:01 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I've been there once about ten years ago. I wasn't overly bowled over by the place but I can see the potential for my family and I to build a good life there. The validation trip is in April and the move is pencilled in for December(-ish). Hopefully with the new "this will be our home soon" specs on we'll all be happy to proceed to the final step .
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Anne down under
you need to get a bit of a tougher skin if you're going to survive over here mate.
Yeh you're right...
but i don't want to just survive, if possible i want to enjoy my life.

Not happnin there coz it aint home!
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

I must say the weather here is miserable!!!!

And if i can convince my family i'll be back (oz) !!!

Goodbye, until the next thread!
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I had never visited Aus before we came here. OK I had the safety net of thinking we were only here for 2 years, but you don't need a visit necessarily to settle.

And people do say not very nice things but some of this is humour- although sometimes misplaced.
A colleague mentioned the "poms don't wash" to me and I hate this comment. Now I know him much better I realise it was just his humour and he was not trying to be offensive- he is one of the nicest most easy going blokes around. I know I sometimes say things which are poorly judged- all in the name of humour.

Sometimes you just have to take a while to settle in properly.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:30 pm
ABCDiamond

Dont want to put anyone off, just saying go on a recky first.
I am not sure a reckie or holiday is a good idea, unless you can avoid thinking of it as a holiday.
When we look around with our holiday eyes on, we don't always see the real country.
I had two holidays here before I migrated, but found living in this country very different to my holidays.
Unfortunately though, these TV shows these days do give a glossy opinion, which may be backed up by a holiday viewpoint.

I must say the weather here is miserable!!!!

And if i can convince my family i'll be back (oz) !!!
The weather, unlike most other things, is very different

Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:37 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I am not sure a reckie or holiday is a good idea, unless you can avoid thinking of it as a holiday.
When we look around with our holiday eyes on, we don't always see the real country.
I had two holidays here before I migrated, but found living in this country very different to my holidays.
Unfortunately though, these TV shows these days do give a glossy opinion, which may be backed up by a holiday viewpoint.

The weather, unlike most other things, is very different
"Relocation: Phil Down Under" is a prime example of that. It looked like heaven on earth in this weeks show.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:45 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by paulry
"Relocation: Phil Down Under" is a prime example of that. It looked like heaven on earth in this weeks show.
They did a show on MY local area ?

Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They did a show on MY local area ?
You lucky sod!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.