Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz on half the money?

Oz on half the money?

Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future
Default Oz on half the money?

Would you go to Oz if it meant earning half the money? That's the situation I'd be in if I went. True, we'd be able to buy a house cash, but it's a difficult call.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:46 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz on half the money?

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Would you go to Oz if it meant earning half the money? That's the situation I'd be in if I went. True, we'd be able to buy a house cash, but it's a difficult call.

Is that the reason you live your life for.... to earn money?
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:04 pm
wombat42

But the cost of living is less, most Australians have the same or better standard of living as Britains.

Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
But the cost of living is less, most Australians have the same or better standard of living as Britains.
CRAP

The cost of living in Australia is expensive when compared to the lower wages. In fact I found supermarket shopping, cars, electrical goods, bank charges and motorway tolls made for a much lighter wallet.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:14 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eatstatic
CRAP

The cost of living in Australia is expensive when compared to the lower wages. In fact I found supermarket shopping, cars, electrical goods, bank charges and motorway tolls made for a much lighter wallet.

Get a better paid job then
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siren
Get a better paid job then
Best stay in UK then. Seriously though why so defensive of Australia, it is well recognised that the wages there are terrible, hence the brian drain of Aussies to London and New York to earn the real money. Seems only disgruntled poms fed an image of utopian egalitarian Oz make the effort to give DIMIA and moving companies thousands in order to get poor in a hot and fly infested backwater.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:49 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Best stay in UK then. Seriously though why so defensive of Australia, it is well recognised that the wages there are terrible, hence the brian drain of Aussies to London and New York to earn the real money. Seems only disgruntled poms fed an image of utopian egalitarian Oz make the effort to give DIMIA and moving companies thousands in order to get poor in a hot and fly infested backwater.
I like the idea of a 'Brian Drain'.....

Anya.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:59 pm
wombat42

Australia is paradise compared to New York and London with its traffic conjestion, race riots, Code Red terrorist alerts, IRA and Islamic bombings,
overcrowding, tiny expensive houses, crap cold weather, pollution, muggings
and car jackings. Most of the Australians who move there only do so for higher wages and can't wait to get back to OZ once they have earnt enough money.

Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

money cant buy you happiness and shouldnt stop you looking for it
Only you will know what is important to you
my thoughts are as long as I can earn enough to live and eat that will do anything else will be a bonus
Incidently I expect i will possibly only earn 1/3 of what i earn now but as I said its not the only thing that matters
good luck in what ever you chose to do
mary
Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:12 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia is paradise compared to New York and London with its traffic conjestion, race riots, Code Red terrorist alerts, IRA and Islamic bombings,
and car jackings. Most of the Australians who move there only do so for higher wages and can't wait to get back to OZ once they have earnt enough money.
I'll try and remember that the next time I am in traffic utopia stuck on the Anzac bridge watching the security guards wander up and down looking for terrorists. Sydney is now tiny expensive housing land, car jackings happen and there are so many ignorant sods who think that doesn't happen here.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:25 am
Account Closed

OK Einstein42 lets break your bull down.

Congestion? So Sydney/Melbourne have no jams? Pratt

Weather? Open to debate, sure London can be cold wet and grey, so can Melbourne, as for Sydney the summer I spent thier was Humid, very wet and grey.

Pollution? I remember many a Sydney afternoon where I could barely see the skyscrapers due to smog.

Muggings? Well the local papers I read in the Sydney metro area seemed to report mugging and burglaries and rapes etc etc

Car jackings? I believe that these are present in any city in 2004, are the Aussies too busy watching footy to think of crime?

As for Aussies only coming to Uk for cash? I agree a lot have that as their original plan, yet I know a good few Ausssies who having sampled UK culture have sod all intention of returning to your never never paradise land.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:51 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

OK Einstein42 lets break your bull down.

Congestion? So Sydney/Melbourne have no jams? Pratt

Weather? Open to debate, sure London can be cold wet and grey, so can Melbourne, as for Sydney the summer I spent thier was Humid, very wet and grey.

Pollution? I remember many a Sydney afternoon where I could barely see the skyscrapers due to smog.

Muggings? Well the local papers I read in the Sydney metro area seemed to report mugging and burglaries and rapes etc etc

Car jackings? I believe that these are present in any city in 2004, are the Aussies too busy watching footy to think of crime?

As for Aussies only coming to Uk for cash? I agree a lot have that as their original plan, yet I know a good few Ausssies who having sampled UK culture have sod all intention of returning to your never never paradise land.
In my little English village, there are two Aussies residents. One is from Launceston and the other from Sydney. Both of them love the UK and certainly didn't come here for the money.

Beyond that, I'm really not going to get involved in this debate any further......
Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:56 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Not in Sydney but I do not own a house. How much of the Aussie lifestyle you are looking for is dependant on cash? What are you looking for?
Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:25 am
ABCDiamond

I must be in a different Australia
I don't pay Motorway Tolls, nor do I pay Bank Charges

I can't compare electrical goods as I don't have recent comparisons. (other than a DVD player for $79 in last weeks local paper)

Supermarket shopping ? We spend about 10% of our income on food for 3, but I don't know how that compares.

But I agree with on Sydney, it's not the place for me either
But Australia is a big and varied place.

Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Nah, don't do it!!!
Not unless you're really desperate to come here that is!
I think most things have already been covered on this thread by others...
But in my opinion...............
You're not really going to be getting away from any of the bad points about the U.K (if that's where you're from?) it's just they're not talked about so much here.. (I think some people are in denial...?)
We do get better weather though. (sometimes..!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.