Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz Forex - Losing the Faith

Oz Forex - Losing the Faith

Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oz Forex - Losing the Faith

Hi everyone

I've used this FX company for years moving literally hundreds of thousands of pounds/dollars both ways. I've regularly plugged them to others and on here, and always been happy - until now.

Their customer service has dropped, but more worryingly their rates are lower than quite a few competitors - a full 1c compared to HIFX yesterday.

Has anyone else found this, and perhaps recommend another firm to use?

Barry
Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz Forex - Losing the Faith

Originally Posted by Bazza Boy
Hi everyone

I've used this FX company for years moving literally hundreds of thousands of pounds/dollars both ways. I've regularly plugged them to others and on here, and always been happy - until now.

Their customer service has dropped, but more worryingly their rates are lower than quite a few competitors - a full 1c compared to HIFX yesterday.

Barry
Still getting good rates and the service is as great as ever, personally.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Used them extensively over the last 12 months and more than happy with their service and rates
Old Feb 16th 2013, 1:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Very happy with Ozforex. Used them forever.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 2:45 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with the OP. I have used them for years, transferred much moolah and also had them transfer my pension every month.

Since Macquarie bought them out there's been a change of service, definitely. Every year my Christmas pension payment is delayed by up to a couple of weeks, and each year my April and May pension payments are likewise screwed up (That's when I get my indexing increase)

I have to get on the phone to them each time and explain again and again but it still happens next time.

I don't know if Matt Gilmour is still in the loop, but I am thinking of dispensing with OzForex.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol
I have to agree with the OP. I have used them for years, transferred much moolah and also had them transfer my pension every month.

Since Macquarie bought them out there's been a change of service, definitely. Every year my Christmas pension payment is delayed by up to a couple of weeks, and each year my April and May pension payments are likewise screwed up (That's when I get my indexing increase)

I have to get on the phone to them each time and explain again and again but it still happens next time.

I don't know if Matt Gilmour is still in the loop, but I am thinking of dispensing with OzForex.
Well they are paying one of my mates to work there so I'm sure his rate isn't helping make things cheaper.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:51 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

I have found HiFx better rates for large sums.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 4:48 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Won't your bank give you very tight spreads for larger amounts if you have status with them (Premier, Gold, etc.) and call in to make the transaction?

If I recall correctly I was quoted 1.008 when the mid-rate was 1.015. Are you guys able to get better deals using these forex companies?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Reasonable will become famous soon enoughReasonable will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I have found HiFx better rates for large sums.
I've just compared HIFX vs OZFOREX rates. Even by going to 250000 gbp for HIFX they cannot match the OZFOREX rate for a much much smaller sum to transfer!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:36 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I've always thought Ozforex was good. Particularly last time when I had to make a call. The fact that Macquarie has bought them would set alarm bells ringing though. I'll certainly be looking very closely at the rates next time. If they are the best I'll still use them.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 7:19 am
journey from here to here

puna will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bazza Boy
Hi everyone

Barry
hsbc gave me much better rates than Oz Forex
Old Feb 21st 2013, 7:29 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by puna
hsbc gave me much better rates than Oz Forex
What kind of rate did you get compared to the mid-rate at the time?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 7:44 am
journey from here to here

puna will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by astera
What kind of rate did you get compared to the mid-rate at the time?
didn't know the midrate .
I had 15000 and even after I paid hsbc 20$ transfer fee as apposed to the fee free transferof oz I still ended with around 280 more than what those guy were going to give me .
I question them why and they said" that's what it is, grab the hcbs that's too good a rate they've given you'
I was not their premium customer just an ordinary one.
they do give better rates is you are a customer but maybe even better if you are a premium.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:14 am

They have this online GetRate function that is very good and you can do it all yourself via ibanking. The next time I do a conversion I will post both the midrate from XE and well as the conversion rate applied.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Reasonable will become famous soon enoughReasonable will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by puna
didn't know the midrate .
I had 15000 and even after I paid hsbc 20$ transfer fee as apposed to the fee free transferof oz I still ended with around 280 more than what those guy were going to give me .
I question them why and they said" that's what it is, grab the hcbs that's too good a rate they've given you'
I was not their premium customer just an ordinary one.
they do give better rates is you are a customer but maybe even better if you are a premium.
Premier customers used to get good rates but not any more. Even HIFX are better than HSBC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.