Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz Forex - Losing the Faith

Oz Forex - Losing the Faith

Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:28 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz Forex - Losing the Faith

Originally Posted by Reasonable
Premier customers used to get good rates but not any more. Even HIFX are better than HSBC.
I take it you haven't seen the GetRate function as it's relatively new I think (it used to be a business-banking feature only). I think it only works when conversions involve AUD, but the spreads are very tight indeed.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Reasonable will become famous soon enoughReasonable will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by astera
I take it you haven't seen the GetRate function as it's relatively new I think (it used to be a business-banking feature only). I think it only works when conversions involve AUD, but the spreads are very tight indeed.
I see no point in saving gbp at .05% interest with hsbc when can get much more in offshore rates. I have no experience of the spreads - you mean the margin on interbank rate? As I said, for a Premier customer, they used to beat the Ozforex rates a couple of years ago but then changed their margins to be completely uncompetitive.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:56 pm

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I mean the margins on the mid-rate. They are pretty bad using regular conversion, but if you use the GetRate feature then the rates become very attractive.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Reasonable will become famous soon enoughReasonable will become famous soon enough

Yes, I mean the margins on the mid-rate. They are pretty bad using regular conversion, but if you use the GetRate feature then the rates become very attractive.
Can you give examples?
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:52 am

Ok, about two minutes ago I checked both the mid-rate at XE and tried to make a GetRate conversion of 10,000 Euros into AUD and got the following

At the same time (literally click here and click there)...
XE mid-rate: $12,702.56
HSBC GetRate: $12,661.10
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:51 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Ozforex still have the best rates as far as I can tell
Old Mar 1st 2013, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

I find currencyonline the best for me usually.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

We've had an account with OzForex for years. We booked a deal last week and transferred the money through only to have it bounce back because OzForex decided last month to stop dealing with our Canadian bank and so that's it apparently. They advised us to open an account with the sole remaining Canadian bank they do transactions through and we said, "Well, that might be problematic as the closest branch to us is about 15,000km away."
Old Mar 5th 2013, 11:28 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I've always thought Ozforex was good. Particularly last time when I had to make a call. The fact that Macquarie has bought them would set alarm bells ringing though. I'll certainly be looking very closely at the rates next time. If they are the best I'll still use them.
Macquarie bought a 51% share of Ozforex way back in 2007. I've not heard of any further acquisition by them since then.

I have used Ozforex on a regular basis and always used to get a little Christmas present from them each year - except for last year. I obviously wasn't good enough :-(
Old Mar 5th 2013, 11:56 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Macquarie bought a 51% share of Ozforex way back in 2007. I've not heard of any further acquisition by them since then.

I have used Ozforex on a regular basis and always used to get a little Christmas present from them each year - except for last year. I obviously wasn't good enough :-(
Join the club!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 5:46 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Join the club!
+1

Old Mar 8th 2013, 9:26 am
Vendor

MRam is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest you shop around for currency transfer quotes and make sure that you are getting the best rate from an FSA authorised foreign exchange provider. Typically, a foreign exchange broker's rate can be up to 4% better than the banks.

Hope that helps
Old Mar 9th 2013, 3:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MRam
I suggest you shop around for currency transfer quotes and make sure that you are getting the best rate from an FSA authorised foreign exchange provider. Typically, a foreign exchange broker's rate can be up to 4% better than the banks.

Hope that helps
But do you know of any companies that offer better deals than Ozforex?
Old Mar 9th 2013, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Oh no - I was just about to set up a regular monthly transfer with OzForex (AUD to GBP). Is there anyone else out there that you would recommend?
Old Mar 9th 2013, 4:20 am

10,000 Euros into AUD and got the following

At the same time (literally click here and click there)...
XE mid-rate: $12,702.56
HSBC GetRate: $12,661.10
Could someone who's with ozforex (or other foreign exchange company) post a similar comparison so that we can compare spreads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.