Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OZ - expectations

OZ - expectations

Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:23 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default OZ - expectations

After perusing the forum for a few weeks now I get the distinct impression that everyone is off to the big cities and suburbs in search of sea, sand and the outdoor life.

Well, in that case I am somewhat of an exception; but you already sussed that I suppose

No, if they let me in, rural Victoria is for me or maybe a country town. I don't have the desire to radically change lifestyle and try not to think too deeply about what I would consider utopia. As I see it the less my expectation the less the disappointment.

Yes, life would be different but maybe not earth shatteringly so. As others already in OZ have intoned shite is shite in any country so don't expect not to find any.

Guess I am trying to be pragmatic.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:29 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OZ - expectations

Originally posted by Bix
After perusing the forum for a few weeks now I get the distinct impression that everyone is off to the big cities and suburbs in search of sea, sand and the outdoor life.

Well, in that case I am somewhat of an exception; but you already sussed that I suppose

No, if they let me in, rural Victoria is for me or maybe a country town. I don't have the desire to radically change lifestyle and try not to think too deeply about what I would consider utopia. As I see it the less my expectation the less the disappointment.

Yes, life would be different but maybe not earth shatteringly so. As others already in OZ have intoned shite is shite in any country so don't expect not to find any.

hello mate i would like somewhere close to school for nipper`s close to park for nipper`s close to beach for me and nipper`s far away from shop`s mrs (wenger) and near a golf course not utopia granted but all i need
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree with you there Bix. We have no urge to live in a big city at all. We're not going over for beaches or sun and surf either. We're going over to get a 'new' life. One where we get to see each other as a family at least for weekends anyway. No more working 60 hours a week for hubby, no more working evenings for me...we get to spend time together with our children...utopia for us!!
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bix

We have a similar dilemna.Not sure where to go or what to do.
It all seemed easier a year ago when it was just an idea.

Good luck

G
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:35 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

we are expecting lower salaries, just as many working hours, harder worker for me (but that is the same for any new business set up any where), expensive housing, not getting more than $2.50 to the £.

Still we are going to a city (Sydney) mainly for job reasons, I want to be by the sea, not to sun my self on the beach but to enjoy escaping to the wonders of the underwater world (which I already do in the UK)
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:59 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

hi bix!

yeah i'm totally with you on this. Not heading out there for the sun or the surf either. I don't want to live near a beach, i need somewhere to go for a run on the bike! I'm heading for rural ACT, canberra i think they call it!

i can't wait to get there and out of here now. Just want to get out of the UK and start everything with a clean slate. i've even been looking at going 'rural' and setting up my own company in one of the larger towns further inland. (and bundy if you're reading this it is still a posibility!! )

i don't see my life being that much different when i get there. But it will be there and not here. New friends to make and new sights to see. that's all i'm after.

hope it all goes well for everyone!

leigh
Old Feb 8th 2004, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck on your rural venture Bix! WHich part of Vic are you headed? My sis lives in a beautiful part - up on the Murray River near Mildura. Fantastic lifestyle, beautiful surroundings, and very laid back (altho being farmers they do work hard/play hard). Too hot for me tho (they get Adelaide weather)

Definately prefer it to the city - life is a lot more 'personal' when you're out of the daily grind!
Old Feb 8th 2004, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Kelly T is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TraceyW
Totally agree with you there Bix. We have no urge to live in a big city at all. We're not going over for beaches or sun and surf either. We're going over to get a 'new' life. One where we get to see each other as a family at least for weekends anyway. No more working 60 hours a week for hubby, no more working evenings for me...we get to spend time together with our children...utopia for us!!
Totally agree.
My husband gets home anywhere between 6:30-7PM after travelling to and from London (4.5hours a day by coach).
He sees our daughters for about half hour to an hour during the week.
I work from home, so I if I have work I do that weekday evenings once the kids are in bed, or at weekends.
My husband also works some weekends.
We long to spend more family time together, and hopefully no more rushing around.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Thats one of the great things about Australia... you can pick your lifestyle...you can even get skiing in the winters if you wish!!...a lot of people don't realise that many parts of Oz have temperate regions similar to UK.

Of course there are wider extremes in temperatures in certain places, but its up to you to choose what you prefer. That also goes for which city or region to choose depending on the lifestyle you want.

I know my favourite so far
Old Feb 8th 2004, 8:32 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
Thats one of the great things about Australia... you can pick your lifestyle...you can even get skiing in the winters if you wish!!...a lot of people don't realise that many parts of Oz have temperate regions similar to UK.

Of course there are wider extremes in temperatures in certain places, but its up to you to choose what you prefer. That also goes for which city or region to choose depending on the lifestyle you want.

I know my favourite so far
it`s not bix it`s me is`nt it
Old Feb 8th 2004, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

LOL... i think you are both quite huggable
Old Feb 8th 2004, 10:26 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Good luck on your rural venture Bix! WHich part of Vic are you headed?
Should be somewhere around Ballarat.
Thought I could do some prospecting in my spare time to top up the wages !!
Old Feb 8th 2004, 10:28 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally posted by podgypossum
LOL... i think you are both quite huggable
Wenger is more huggable.
My belly is smaller.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 10:33 pm
Up The Arse!!

Originally posted by Bix
Wenger is more huggable.
My belly is smaller.
oi
Old Feb 8th 2004, 11:11 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by walaj
we are expecting lower salaries, just as many working hours, harder worker for me (but that is the same for any new business set up any where), expensive housing, not getting more than $2.50 to the £.

Still we are going to a city (Sydney) mainly for job reasons, I want to be by the sea, not to sun my self on the beach but to enjoy escaping to the wonders of the underwater world (which I already do in the UK)
I was snorkelling at Ben Buckler on Saturday. The big blue groper was down there but I was trying to look for wobbygongs. The manta rays had buried themselves so I could not see them.

It is hard to get bored in this town.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.