Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz: Example of successful ACS RPL submission

Oz: Example of successful ACS RPL submission

Old Feb 13th 2002, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

dave66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have applied 3 times !! Failed twice. I've got about 14 years Oracle experience. Third application RPL) is still there, hopefully it will be OK this time. You can apply as often as you like. They don't say NO to money.

I got my money returned on the other 2 occasions due to arguing with them about the whole process. Did you know if you were a graphic illustrator you would get 50 points and work experience isn't considered !! The only thing VETASS considers is the course you have done. Doesn't seem right to me.
Old Mar 17th 2002, 10:48 am
MKA
Just Joined

MKA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oz: Example of successful ACS RPL submission

Hi,
as my husband and I are currently preparing his RPL application we too would be grateful for any examples and materials some of you sent to ACS.
We are facing the most problems with the three mandatory CBOK categories as for example my husband never did any project management tasks. So how can we give proof here?
We have employer references for the last five years. As some of you suggested we put together detailed explainations of all the projects he worked for (including technical informations) and let them sign by his employers. We hope this is sufficient.
If any of you would share his applications etc. please email them to [email protected] . We would also be very grateful for any suggestions and tips on how to proof the three mandatory categories.

As I have a degree in IT I sent my normal application to ACS on 4th Jan. but did not receive any answer yet.

yours, Martina
Old Mar 18th 2002, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I didn't/don't have any project management experience either as such, but I have worked on projects and so I suppose I have done some mini-me project management within a project, if you know what I mean, ie. I would have to project manage my part of a project. That's the way I looked at it anyway. For example, if I was responsible for upgrading a database, I would organise backups, users, times, etc. Other than that, I suggest large amounts of bullshit, which is what this RPL thing is anyway !!

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 18th 2002, 1:22 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

With all the hype about fast tracking IT applicants - you lot seem to need a lot of help filling out forms!!!

My husband who is a printer - took five years gaining his basic qualifications - equivalent to degree level - managed his forms on his own!

Seriously I am only joking - don't send me lots of flame mails, it is just nice to understand the ITs have a not so perfect path as those of use who are waiting in the queue....wot was it another said on this site.....those who are in limbo!

Good luck to you all

PS I am hoping our family get out soon on an 457 work visa IT!!!!!! Mine! while we wait for the other PR
Old Mar 19th 2002, 7:06 pm
Greg

Sandra <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > With all the hype about fast tracking IT applicants - you lot seem to need a lot of
    > help filling out forms!!!
    >
    > My husband who is a printer - took five years gaining his basic qualifications -
    > equivalent to degree level - managed his forms on his own!
    >
    > Seriously I am only joking - don't send me lots of flame mails, it is just nice to
    > understand the ITs have a not so perfect path as those of use who are waiting in
    > the queue....wot was it another said on this site.....those who are in limbo!
    >
    > Good luck to you all
    >
    > PS I am hoping our family get out soon on an 457 work visa IT!!!!!! Mine! while we
    > wait for the other PR

Hello:

The RPL is a demanding exercise; however, as a colleague remarked, it is a good thing
to take stock every five years or so and inventory all that you have done, with an
eye towards what you have learned. Discriminating between doing and learning is the
major cognitive bridge to walk over when approaching the RPL.

How can you separate what you have done from what you have learned? In some ways it
is a misleading separation, since the learning flows from the doing. To many in the
IT world, our reputations are made from what we have done; however, the ACS warns
appicants not to provide laundry lists of accomplishments. They are right to do this,
because what really makes a reputation and a career is not so much the purely
instrumental (i.e. I can install Solaris in my sleep), but rather your accumulated
wisdom which has flowed from doing these things (i.e. I always read the release notes
and every errata in the install guide because I have been burned by just plopping the
CD in--that is, I have learned from my experience that...).

What you have done should form the backdrop to what you have learned, and you must
emphasize what you have learned. It is difficult, because IT is not an inherently
reflective enterprise--all too often, results are the bottom line, the targets shift,
the knowledge gained is transitory. Yet this is the point--what is left from the
ephemera of obsolete technological knowledge? In other words, what have you learned?

My advice: Take the CBOK, inventory your career against it. You will be surprised how
much of what you have done can match up against the categories. Then, you must detail
how your experience has yielded learning and wisdom that correlate to what the CBOK
intends to impart. Believe me, if you have had a career in this field for any length
of time, you will have touched on a large majority of these topics. It is up to you
to examine your past, reflect on what you have done, and express that in terms of
what you have learned.

Also, get transcripts and collect all of the certificates for every training course
you have ever attended. If you have lost these, contact the vendor and get a copy--it
can be done.

The RPL is time-consuming and difficult; however, you will be left at the end of the
day with a piece of work that documents and expresses your career. This will help
you not only get a PR visa, but will give you the chance to take stock and inventory
your achievements. As my colleague said, it is something we should all do every five
years or so.

Hope this helps and best of luck. Greg