Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Oz equivalent of the NHS helpline? Or help think little has broken his toe?!

The Oz equivalent of the NHS helpline? Or help think little has broken his toe?!

Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:07 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Oz equivalent of the NHS helpline? Or help think little has broken his toe?!

Hi,

I had the number somewhere and can I find it?

Does anyone know the telephone number of the oz equivalent of the NHS helpline.

Little was running around the house, he accidently stubbed his foot into the door frame (OUCH! It really hurts doesn't it!). His little toe is bigger than normal and bluey/ black so it must've took the force of the knock.

OH says you can't mend a broken toe and that docs would just tell you to go home? Is this true?

Thanks
Carmel
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Oz equivalent of the NHS helpline? Or help think little has broken his toe?!

Originally Posted by carmele
Hi,

Little was running around the house, he accidently stubbed his foot into the door frame (OUCH! It really hurts doesn't it!). His little toe is bigger than normal and bluey/ black so it must've took the force of the knock.

OH says you can't mend a broken toe and that docs would just tell you to go home? Is this true?

Thanks
Carmel
I have no idea of the medical side, but I would take him to the nearest Emergency Department - it will put your mind at rest if nothing else.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:26 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Oz equivalent of the NHS helpline? Or help think little has broken his toe?!

Hi,

Thanks
Carmel
you could always have a read on the nhs direct site
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:36 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I have no idea of the medical side, but I would take him to the nearest Emergency Department - it will put your mind at rest if nothing else.

Sorry to hijack this thread Wendy, but I think that my house may be on fire, and I'm not really sure what I should do. There are flames and smoke coming up the stairs now, so I thought the best course of action would be to post on an internet newsgroup...

S
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Sorry to hijack this thread Wendy, but I think that my house may be on fire, and I'm not really sure what I should do. There are flames and smoke coming up the stairs now, so I thought the best course of action would be to post on an internet newsgroup...

S

I think the OP was asking for help and advice - having not since arrived in Oz and having 2 small children around and no family
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:42 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

No problem swerv o, mine definately isn't a matter of life or death like yours sounds like it could be.........

Son hasn't complained of it since only when it happened and he has said it doesn't hurt, so it must be ok.

Need to dig that number out for future reference!

Thanks for the website details, had a look on the nhs website, great for future reference too!

Carmel
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

No problem swerv o, mine definately isn't a matter of life or death like yours sounds like it could be.........

Son hasn't complained of it since only when it happened and he has said it doesn't hurt, so it must be ok.

Need to dig that number out for future reference!

Thanks for the website details, had a look on the nhs website, great for future reference too!

Carmel
Have left you some Karma
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:44 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
I think the OP was asking for help and advice - having not since arrived in Oz and having 2 small children around and no family
And there are some times when an internet forum is great for that, but in a genuine medical emergency like this, the best plan is to seek professional advice from the nearest healthcare professional. Not hope for the best from a load of strangers on the internet.

S
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

And there are some times when an internet forum is great for that, but in a genuine medical emergency like this, the best plan is to seek professional advice from the nearest healthcare professional. Not hope for the best from a load of strangers on the internet.

S
Maybe your earlier post should have given that advice then? Just a thought
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:50 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by sasbear
Maybe your earlier post should have given that advice then? Just a thought
Well, perhaps you're right, and the sarcasm wasn't really called for, so I will apologise for that.

But it does seem to me that an increasing number of people seem to absolve themselves of all common sense in favour of what people will tell them on a newsgroup.

S
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:57 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Well, perhaps you're right, and the sarcasm wasn't really called for, so I will apologise for that.

But it does seem to me that an increasing number of people seem to absolve themselves of all common sense in favour of what people will tell them on a newsgroup.

S
well i found it funny and informative too
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:59 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hijack this thread Wendy, but I think that my house may be on fire, and I'm not really sure what I should do. There are flames and smoke coming up the stairs now....

I know you're lying. You don't have a house.

Old Oct 26th 2007, 5:01 am

Hi,

Thanks
Carmel
Carmel, broken toes, in general, esp one as tiny as the little toe, if really broken, will be strapped with a little tape to the one next to it, usually, to form some support. You can do this yourself at home...
Though you may find he's just bruised it... they're very difficult to break given their structure.

Swervo, I've called the fire brigade and they should be with you.... NOW!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 5:03 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Carmel, broken toes, in general, esp one as tiny as the little toe, if really broken, will be strapped with a little tape to the one next to it, usually, to form some support. You can do this yourself at home...
Though you may find he's just bruised it... they're very difficult to break given their structure.

Swervo, I've called the fire brigade and they should be with you.... NOW!

Don't need them now, it's throwing it down!

S
Old Oct 26th 2007, 5:06 am

Don't need them now, it's throwing it down!

S
Well you can tell them. Make sure you give them a cuppa for coming out like that...

Is it raining?

I hadn't noticed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.