Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

oz driving licence

oz driving licence

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

dondownunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oz driving licence

hi all, just wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences getting an oz driving licence. i have had a couple of speeding tickets on my british licence (in oz). When i apply for a nsw licence will i automatically be given points for the tickets.

thanks in advance

don
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:10 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of
Default Re: oz driving licence

Pretty sure your speeding points dont pass over onto the OZ licence, so you get a nice new clean one
But apparently not much leeway by the Oz police for speeding so if you have a heavyt right foot it won't be staying clean for long

Have a look at these thou
here
here
here
here
and this is the one i was actually looking for

HTH

Regards

Dougie

PS now i have re read your initial post not sure i have helped (didn't register the bit about the points on you licience being aquired in OZ) sorry

Last edited by Dougie; Jan 2nd 2009 at 10:12 am. Reason: re-read post.....Doh
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice

Originally Posted by dondownunder
hi all, just wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences getting an oz driving licence. i have had a couple of speeding tickets on my british licence (in oz). When i apply for a nsw licence will i automatically be given points for the tickets.

thanks in advance

don
I think it'll depend how old the speeding things are. My Aussie hubby says they expire after 6 years - if it's inside that you will most likely have them added (but with the time left only not starting again)
I had to do a very tricky computer theory test to get my NSW license too - is that still the same? And they only let me have a 3 year one initially and after that a 5 year one........ they are a very strict bunch that RTA
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bubsblooms
I think it'll depend how old the speeding things are. My Aussie hubby says they expire after 6 years - if it's inside that you will most likely have them added (but with the time left only not starting again)
I had to do a very tricky computer theory test to get my NSW license too - is that still the same? And they only let me have a 3 year one initially and after that a 5 year one........ they are a very strict bunch that RTA
I thought you could just swap your UK for a NSW one without any testing, now I'm worried!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
I thought you could just swap your UK for a NSW one without any testing, now I'm worried!
You can check the NSW RTA website for up to date information.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:18 pm
ABCDiamond

I had to take a theory test myself, (QLD), only a few years ago, but all States have now changed over to No theory test for a normal passenger vehicle licence.

I "think" that points accumulated in one State will be put on a licence obtained in that State, but not if you get a licence in another State.

ie: I may have had points in NSW, but I got a QLD licence with no points.
But, I have heard of at least one person who got points in NSW, then applied for a NSW licence, and received it with those points !!

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I had to take a theory test myself, (QLD), only a few years ago, but all States have now changed over to No theory test for a normal passenger vehicle licence.

I "think" that points accumulated in one State will be put on a licence obtained in that State, but not if you get a licence in another State.

ie: I may have had points in NSW, but I got a QLD licence with no points.
But, I have heard of at least one person who got points in NSW, then applied for a NSW licence, and received it with those points !!
Hi ABC.... do you like the way I keep telling everyone they need to do a test to get their licence in NSW? You picked me up on this last time and spoilt it by telling them it had been changed
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Hi ABC.... do you like the way I keep telling everyone they need to do a test to get their licence in NSW? You picked me up on this last time and spoilt it by telling them it had been changed
My memory isn't that great these days, so I don't actually remember

I'd better apologise now for the next time I do it

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior

Yes you can swap your UK for NSW without any sort of test unless you intend on driving a truck. And even then its only a knowledge test done on computer.

They will punch you UK licence with a hole punch to indicate it has already swapped over, its like $90 for a three year Aussie licence.

Aussie licence is used for ID from everything from getting into Pub to getting a home loan, and is pretty useful.