Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz driving licence

Oz driving licence

Old Dec 16th 2008, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all
Default Oz driving licence

Hi, Whats involved with getting a Oz driving licence, we have a UK and USA driving licence, I read a thread a while back saying you can simply swap UK for Oz..is that right.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Old Dec 16th 2008, 12:57 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz driving licence

You just need to go in to the driving/transport authority offices with proof of identity, proof of address and a valid UK licence and you can get your Australian licence - you have to change to an Oz licence within 3 months of taking up residency here. No test or anything! I hadn't realised when I went in that in QLD at least you buy your licence for anything from 1 year up to a maximum of 5 years.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
You just need to go in to the driving/transport authority offices with proof of identity, proof of address and a valid UK licence and you can get your Australian licence - you have to change to an Oz licence within 3 months of taking up residency here. No test or anything! I hadn't realised when I went in that in QLD at least you buy your licence for anything from 1 year up to a maximum of 5 years.

Thats great, thanks for the fast response.

My two eldest have hold US licences not UK, whats the deal with changing them?
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wildmark
Thats great, thanks for the fast response.

My two eldest have hold US licences not UK, whats the deal with changing them?
A USA licence is in the same group as a UK licence

Applicants from these counties (excluding applicants from external territories of those recognised countries) are not required to take a written road rules or practical driving test when applying for a car or motorcycle licence ....

Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:14 am
Just Joined

andy1961 is on a distinguished road

hya

Yes you just swap your uk license over within 3 months but my son because he was under 21 was given red p plates with restrictions,this was in qld.

Andy
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:49 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We swapped our Canadian ones with no difficulties. Just showed them all the ID the required and our licence and they handed me a QLD one. They also returned my Canadian one unharmed
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thats great news, I don't think I could handle doing yet another driving test...not that the US one was dificult!!!

Thanks.

Mark
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:42 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Hardest thing for me was the...

Al
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:43 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
The likeness is uncanny
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:44 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
The likeness is uncanny
Looks like our faces after getting barred from the Irish bar in Knox

Looking forward to Christmas day mate I plan on wearing my best lederhosen

Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:00 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Looks like our faces after getting barred from the Irish bar in Knox

Looking forward to Christmas day mate I plan on wearing my best lederhosen

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-Lederhose.jpg

I don't want people to know I've ben to Knox let alone barred!!!!

You look like you've been on a diet.

Should be a crack.