Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz cost of living going up in 2010!

Oz cost of living going up in 2010!

Old Dec 27th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Oz cost of living going up in 2010!

No bulls***ting, people will be spending more in 2010. Have a read here... http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-o...1226-lfmc.html. F**king hell.... electricity, gas, water, bus, train, morgage... all will cost more.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 6:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz cost of living going up in 2010!

Originally Posted by caliburn
No bulls***ting, people will be spending more in 2010. Have a read here... http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-o...1226-lfmc.html. F**king hell.... electricity, gas, water, bus, train, morgage... all will cost more.
And it all cost more in 2009 than in 2008 and so on. Prices go up every year wherever you live, its one of life's certainties, like death and taxes.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

You almost had me concerned there as I'm expecting to move to Perth some time in 2010. And thank God I am still moving because it doesn't look as half as bad as what is expected in the UK over the next few years. Hope the exchange rate changes though!
Old Dec 27th 2009, 8:36 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

"But the good news is that the strong Australian dollar will keep down the cost of imported electronic goods and cars."

I had to laugh. Nevermind that ETS will make your stupidly high current electricity bill look like a bargain and all your everyday necessary items to live such as food, water, fuel and not to mention your mortgage are about to go up because :

The price of a new car and wii fit will remain the same !

Phew !
Old Dec 27th 2009, 9:10 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by caliburn
  • Train commuters will be slugged an extra 20 to 40 cents
  • Bus fares will also increase, by 10 to 20 cents a trip

I think the rest of the world is also going to experience the same sort of result, "cost of living going up in 2010!"

Petrol in 2010 ??
Each prior year's average fuel price was:
2009 was $1.18 a litre,
2008 was $1.28
2007 was $1.36

Old Dec 27th 2009, 10:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
"But the good news is that the strong Australian dollar will keep down the cost of imported electronic goods and cars."

I had to laugh. Nevermind that ETS will make your stupidly high current electricity bill look like a bargain and all your everyday necessary items to live such as food, water, fuel and not to mention your mortgage are about to go up because :

The price of a new car and wii fit will remain the same !

Phew !
Agree, the ETS will be a disaster for Australia.

There is another thread about wanker of the year - KRudd is Australian wanker of the year for me.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Agree, the ETS will be a disaster for Australia.

There is another thread about wanker of the year - KRudd is Australian wanker of the year for me.
The electricity rises are going to be a killer for many. My last bill was just over $800. A predicted 62% rise would see me paying $1300 a quarter !!!!!
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
The electricity rises are going to be a killer for many. My last bill was just over $800. A predicted 62% rise would see me paying $1300 a quarter !!!!!
Where do you live? Do you have 5 or 6 split systems and leave the iron running 24 hours a day? Here in Perth we spend about $150 every 60 days/$900 a year on electricity running 2 splits during summer for a 3 bed house.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Where do you live? Do you have 5 or 6 split systems and leave the iron running 24 hours a day? Here in Perth we spend about $150 every 60 days/$900 a year on electricity running 2 splits during summer for a 3 bed house.
Its not cooling. Its heating.... and its a five bed, two story, with an entrance hall that's over 30foot high. I can almost see the dollars disappearing upstairs during the winter months.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 1:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

My last four quarters totalled $2386 so we'd better get used to it!

(We use gas for heating, only run the a/c for about ten days a year but we do have a bore and irrigation pump)
Old Dec 28th 2009, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And it all cost more in 2009 than in 2008 and so on. Prices go up every year wherever you live, its one of life's certainties, like death and taxes.
Too bloody right Polly! Bit of perspective... there are people who talk about how things cost more than they did in 2000 when they first arrived....welll that is now nigh on a decade ago! Prices in 1990 were massively different to 1980 - ask any schoolboy who ever bought a Mars Bar or a comic...

Unless the rise is taking the piss, (and clearly there are rapid increases and then slowdowns) I can never understand why people talk about increases. I mean my salary rises every year. I want inflation. It lowers my mortgage debt. Once I am retired then I will worry but then I will have an asset...

Funny though, it hit me that apart from the piss-take of 1.80 per litre in April 2008, an episode that was not long-lasting, I was paying c. 1.18/l for some of this year (I don't watch it like a hawk). I remember paying that much in mid 2004 more than 5 years ago. My salary has gone up by about 50pc+ since then. In real terms, fuel has dropped..

Ours have been going down - we pay about 350 a quarter..the highest we had was a curious episode about 3 years ago...when we approached 400 a quarter.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Who remembers the days in the UK when you could get several penny sweets for er, one penny.

I'm tipping now that a penny barely covers a penny chew. Or something like that.

Who remembers when a packet of Polos was....10pence. Last seen in the 1980s? Yes/No?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
  • Train commuters will be slugged an extra 20 to 40 cents
  • Bus fares will also increase, by 10 to 20 cents a trip
Not here in Brisbane

Current price
2010 price

Example: A 4 zone daily will go up from $7.60 to $10.60
Old Dec 28th 2009, 12:11 pm
ABCDiamond

Net electricity prices have risen a 'bit' over the last 6 years, but not really by much, at least in Queensland...

An actual Electricity Bill costing in Nov 2003
2,047 kWh used at a total bill cost of $241.72 = a unit cost of $0.1181

An actual Electricity Bill costing in Nov 2009
2,564 kWh used at a total bill cost of $431.01 = a unit cost of $0.1681

That is an average cost increase of 6.06% per year over the last 6 years.
QLD average Wages however have only risen by 5.15% per year over that same period
The NET rise is therefore 0.91% per year extra, assuming your power consumption stays the same.
Our own power consumption did not stay at the same level though....

Current unit costs are 18.843 cents and 11.308 cents, Peak and Off peak respectively.

In one of those years above, we were hit by a 15.75% rise, but most other years were a lot less, but no one remembers those years...

Old Dec 28th 2009, 12:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by gmralston
Not here in Brisbane

Current price
2010 price

Example: A 4 zone daily will go up from $7.60 to $10.60
That might stop some of the Sydneysiders from moving up here

Actually, that should make more people use the 'Go card' at $7.20 for the 4 zone daily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.