Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz Child Allowance

Oz Child Allowance

Old Apr 12th 2002, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

bsftaylorm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oz Child Allowance

Can anyone tell me what the equivalent to the UK Child Benefit payment is in Australia, how it works and how it is assessed. I have heard that it is means tested.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Mark & Kelly
Old Apr 12th 2002, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz Child Allowance

There seem to be various payments available, which are means-tested. I couldn't work out which one we will be eligible for, but I will definitely visit the Centrelink office straightaway after arrival, because this is the one payment you can claim for without waiting 2 years. Anyway here is the link to the page with info on child allowances:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...g_payments.htm
Old Apr 12th 2002, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Jacqui. I'll visit the link.
Old Apr 13th 2002, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the min. you can receive per child is $11 and the max is around $45, per week. It is based on the amount you and your partner earns (if u have a partner)
Old Apr 16th 2002, 4:30 am
Andrew

Hi Mark and Kelly

This is how I understand it (although my wife is the true expert in this).

It comes in 2 parts (imaginatively called Part A and Part B). Part A is totally means
tested. Centrelink will look at the combined income of both parents (this includes
salary, investment income, shares, etc) and only pay you money (for each child I
think) if your combined income is less than around $60,000 per annum (I'm not sure of
the exact amount). Part B is not means tested in that you will receive a payment of
around $105 per fortnight for the first child only! (Obviously if your mad enough to
have any more children the gov. thinks you should be totally responsible to pay for
it yourself - and I have 2).

If your income falls below the "high income" threshold, you will be able to receive a
one-off payment at the birth of each future child (not sure how much this is though).

Also, I don't think these payments will be available to you for at least 2 years of
arriving in Australia.

I know this is a bit vague but I hope it helps. Andrew

bsftaylorm <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Can anyone tell me what the equivalent to the UK Child Benefit payment is in
    > Australia, how it works and how it is assessed. I have heard that it is
    > means tested.
    >
    > Thank you all in advance for your help.
    >
    > Mark & Kelly

Old Apr 16th 2002, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Andrew

Thanks for your info.

We also have 2 kids (aged 2 years, and 7 months).

I hope we will be entitled - we are applying under a spouse sponsored visa (my wife is Australian by birth) and my daughters are Australian by descent.

So, I guess we will be in a better position than most.

Mark & Kelly
Old Apr 16th 2002, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andrew
[B]Hi Mark and Kelly

Also, I don't think these payments will be available to you for at least 2 years of arriving in Australia.

NO - child benefit payments are the exception - you can claim these as soon as you arrive.

As a stay-at-home mum for the last 11 years through choice, I see the UK government today is announcing payments to help out. Typical - I'm now leaving the country! I don't suppose the amount would be enough to get too excited about anyway!
Old Apr 30th 2002, 7:00 pm
Alan Collett

Hi Mark and Kelly.

This might help .... http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=23

Best regards.

Alan Collett alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com Member of the Migration Institute of
Australia, Number 1230 Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534 and a Fellow of the
Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales Managing Director - The Go
Matilda Trading Company Limited W www.gomatilda.com Offices at Enterprise House,
Ocean Village, Southampton, Hampshire, England, SO14 3XB. - T +44 (0)2380 488777, and
Level 5, 11 Queens Road, Melbourne, VIC 3004, Australia - T +61 (0)3 8530 7030 "There
are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going"

bsftaylorm wrote in message <[email protected]>... Can anyone tell me what
the equivalent to the UK Child Benefit payment is in Australia, how it works and how
it is assessed. I have heard that it is means tested.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Mark & Kelly

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com