Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz and Candian PR

Oz and Candian PR

Old Aug 4th 2004, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

koofoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Oz and Candian PR

This is a cross post which I've also posted on the Canadian section.

We originally applied for both Canada and OZ. The Canadian visa came and was validated two years ago. The Oz got delayed and has finally come through. I would like to validate the OZ visa but am worried that it might invalidate my Canadian PR.

From my visits to the two countries, what I've observed is that the standard of living is roughly the same.

Oz has better weather and better annual leave/vacation similiar to the amount given in the UK. Most Indian we met in Oz were really well educated professionals and all the people were friendly. However, the location is at the other end of the world, which almost certainly would mean that we'd hardly see the rest of our family from the UK.

Canada weather is variable depending on location, only two weeks of annual leave. Closer to the UK with cheaper flights. Most Indians we met had come direct from India and have the same mentality (a pindu/village mentality). Their kids, too, could be taught a thing or two about respecting people. I do not want to imply that all Indian in Canada are Pinduish, I'm sure there are well educated professional families there too, but I didn't get to meet any.

I'm a software developer of twenty years experience. With C/C++, Java, servlets, EJBs, xml, VB, Delphi and win32 api experience. I'm in a very good post in the UK with a pretty decent remuneration package. The recent downturn in demand for IT has also worried me. Decision, decision... It's all very confusing. I wish I could maintain both PRs and defer the decision to a later time.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 7:09 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

You want your cake and eat it too?
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz and Candian PR

Originally posted by koofoo
This is a cross post which I've also posted on the Canadian section.

We originally applied for both Canada and OZ. The Canadian visa came and was validated two years ago. The Oz got delayed and has finally come through. I would like to validate the OZ visa but am worried that it might invalidate my Canadian PR.
Rules for keeping Canadian PR are here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/res-oblig.html

Note you must satisfy the 2/5 year residence requirement at the end of your first 5 years as a PR, and then continuously thereafter. At least that's how I understand it, ask the experts on the Canadian forums if you need more information. From what they say there, if you go to Canada and the officer sees you won't be able to fulfil 2 years in the first 5, you'll likely get your PR taken away there and then.

Decision, decision... It's all very confusing. I wish I could maintain both PRs and defer the decision to a later time.
Did you move to Canada 2 years ago then?

Don't presume that the exact detail of the Canadian and Australian 2/5 year rules for keeping PR are the same - they're not.

And I would get professional advice and if you're not living in either country you could easily lose both due to confusion - it's happened to others before.

Jeremy
Old Aug 5th 2004, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

koofoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice. I suppose it's make my mind up time.