Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In Oz and buying from a UK website....

In Oz and buying from a UK website....

Old Aug 5th 2005, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

smidgemum2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In Oz and buying from a UK website....

Does anyone know if you order purchases from a website in the UK and have them delivered directly by the company here to Oz, then do you have to pay anything like customs duty/import taxes on arrival of the package here?

I've just seen my fave website (yes, it's clothes!) in UK has a sale on and delivers to Oz for a flat £12 charge. I don't want to go mad if I'm going to get hit at this end.

Cheers in advance,
Angela

(glad hubby does NOT post or look on BE! )
Old Aug 5th 2005, 7:41 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In Oz and buying from a UK website....

Originally Posted by smidgemum2
Does anyone know if you order purchases from a website in the UK and have them delivered directly by the company here to Oz, then do you have to pay anything like customs duty/import taxes on arrival of the package here?

I've just seen my fave website (yes, it's clothes!) in UK has a sale on and delivers to Oz for a flat £12 charge. I don't want to go mad if I'm going to get hit at this end.

Cheers in advance,
Angela

I dont think so? but again i couldnt be 100% sure.
I buy medicinal products from a UK online pharmacy,delivery is £5 & thats it,it passes by customs,they check it,thats it.

Donna.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers in advance,
Angela

We've bought a heap of stuff online from overseas (mainly US) via Ebay and other websites. We've never had to pay any duty or taxes on any of it - but I don't know if we've just been lucky.

Maybe, they only get interested if there are obvious commercial quantities involved.

PS - What's the website?
Old Aug 5th 2005, 7:52 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc

PS - What's the website?

Lol!! I was going to ask that didnt want to seem nosey though!!!

Donna.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
Lol!! I was going to ask that didnt want to seem nosey though!!!

Donna.
Sounds OK, doesn't it? There's nothing I like better than online shopping (specially when they have a sale).
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by nickyc
Sounds OK, doesn't it? There's nothing I like better than online shopping (specially when they have a sale).

Meeee too i miss UK shopping spree's!! sales were great! best bit was knowing where to get a great bargin still not quite got the hang of it here

Donna.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

It's me back again....after doing tea for the kiddies! The website is just Boden - course I don't mind you asking! I just really like their clothes for me and the kids but refuse to pay their normal prices....however, when it's sale time it's a different story!!!

Angela
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

It's me back again....after doing tea for the kiddies! The website is just Boden - course I don't mind you asking! I just really like their clothes for me and the kids but refuse to pay their normal prices....however, when it's sale time it's a different story!!!

Angela

Oops and I forgot to say, thanks for the replies!
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:10 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Hi
I think technically you should pay duty if it is worth more than $50. I got a load of books off amazon.com and was waiting for the duty bill to arrive but it didn't so pennies in I am.
Jenny
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:23 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

I get all my dvds , cds etc from play.com but they dont post to uk so will prob use cdwow !
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:22 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Perthforme
I get all my dvds , cds etc from play.com but they dont post to uk so will prob use cdwow !
careful there's a limit. Mrs jjonboy ordered 3 tonnes of clothes from dorothy perkins last year and we got stung for $200 duty... it's a certain amount per transaction limit can't remember what though, but she ordered about 300 pounds worth and it tipped it over the duty limit....

maybe do 2 or 3 smaller orders/ check with customs on limits
Old Aug 5th 2005, 11:18 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
they do and it's free don't you find play.com adictive with all the 3 for 2 offers,i go on for one cd or dvd and end up with loads........bloody good site though