Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz bank while on Working Holiday?

Oz bank while on Working Holiday?

Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default Oz bank while on Working Holiday?

OK, our plans were originally to come to Oz once we had got out 175 visa so we'd just setup a bank account when we got there.

However, with all the rule changes recently affecting 175's we have decided to come out earlier on a Working Holiday Visa and travel round for a few months like that.

We would obviously want a bank account with a debit card (credit would be nice) but all the ones we've looked at like Westpac, Commonwealth, NAB all require you to be a PR for them to give you an account. Lots of people do the WHV each year so what sort of bank account can you get when you are there a 12 months but not a PR yet?

Thx!
Old Feb 14th 2009, 2:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz bank while on Working Holiday?

I opened an account with the Commonwealth when I was on a WHV. I'm sure most WHV'ers probably have an Aussie bank account.

All I needed was 100pts of ID e.g. a passport + UK driving license....not sure where the PR requirement is coming from??

I would forget about a credit card though.....can't see that happening.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Oz bank while on Working Holiday?

Originally Posted by bcworld
I opened an account with the Commonwealth when I was on a WHV. I'm sure most WHV'ers probably have an Aussie bank account.

All I needed was 100pts of ID e.g. a passport + UK driving license....not sure where the PR requirement is coming from??

I would forget about a credit card though.....can't see that happening.
Thanks bcworld.

Knew it should be possible, just when I was looking at accounts they all wanted an australia address which you obviously wouldn't have. Then I realiased because of the 100pt check that they know you won't have an address straight away anyway so should be fine.

Thx for that, I'll have a look at Commonwealth Bank

Credit card, yep I guessed it wouldn't be possible.