Oz bank charges

Old May 4th 2005, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oz bank charges

Thought I'd have a rant about Australia's ridiculous bank-charges.

You have to pay for practically everything, as if it's a priviledge to let someone invest your money for their own financial gain.

Reading through the list of bank charges I noticed that just about one of the only free transactions is the paying of said bank fees - cheers bank manager fella!

Thinking about stashing all my money in a brown envelpe under the matress. might even be cheaper just to keep using our UK account.
Old May 4th 2005, 11:36 pm
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Oz bank charges

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny

You have to pay for practically everything, as if it's a priviledge to let someone invest your money for their own financial gain.

Reading through the list of bank charges I noticed that just about one of the only free transactions is the paying of said bank fees - cheers bank manager fella!

Thinking about stashing all my money in a brown envelpe under the matress. might even be cheaper just to keep using our UK account.
The main thing is to shop around - National offers banking for $5 per month and you are then able to make free EFTPOS purchases, National ATM withdrawals and all internet banking.

http://www.national.com.au/Personal_...0,,735,00.html click on flat monthly fees

Some of the other banks also offer similar schemes. I'm personally with CBA but I've got them to reduce some of their charges.

Cheers

GLR
Old May 4th 2005, 11:41 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

or try

www.hsbc.com.au

www.ingdirect.com.au

www.virginmoney.com.au

All of the above are totally fee free
Old May 5th 2005, 12:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny

Who do you bank with ?

It would be interesting to be able to compare all the banks fees for each persons individual banking habits, it may give a better indication of bank costs.

With HSBC I can do 5 withdrawals per month from any banks ATM, and unlimited withrawals and deposits from any Post Office, and not pay any fees whatsoever.

Another option to get a FEE FREE account, is that if you have a mortgage, you can often link that to an everyday account with no fees.
However...... even then, most banks will still charge a fee ($1.50/$2.00) if you use another Banks ATM, unlike HSBC

Old May 5th 2005, 12:09 am
Badge

the sensibile thing is to just get around it, pay for everything on EFTPOS even if its a small amount, and get your cash float for your wallet on EFTPOS.
Can't say I notice the bank charges. They are everywhere in some shape or form. One thing is certain: taxes are all certain in life.

Badge

Old May 5th 2005, 12:30 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
the sensibile thing is to just get around it, pay for everything on EFTPOS even if its a small amount, and get your cash float for your wallet on EFTPOS.
Can't say I notice the bank charges. They are everywhere in some shape or form. One thing is certain: taxes are all certain in life.

Badge
Sadly Eftpos is counted as a transaction by the big 4 and it attracts a charge. Paying by credit card maybe what you meant.

Commonwealth Bank users are also in for a heap of new charges for using the new online services.

I use the 3 outlined by hevs and pay minimal charges. Moving from westpac to HSBC made me 300 - 400 a year better off.
Old May 5th 2005, 12:57 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I am with the National. Have a mortgage with them and as such pay no fees whatsoever for anything! Including using other ATMs.
As much as England was mostly free banking when I left 10 years ago, other countries I have lived there is none so this is great.

Andrew
Old May 5th 2005, 1:00 am
Badge

Originally Posted by bondipom
Sadly Eftpos is counted as a transaction by the big 4 and it attracts a charge. Paying by credit card maybe what you meant.

Commonwealth Bank users are also in for a heap of new charges for using the new online services.

I use the 3 outlined by hevs and pay minimal charges. Moving from westpac to HSBC made me 300 - 400 a year better off.
I get a fair few free ones a month so we never seem to cop them too much.

I have an account with HSBC but had language problems with the staff in a branch too far away just when you need them in person and they didn't understand basic finance terminology so we moved away once we didn't need their high interest account. If I was working directly in the CBD they might have become an option again.

badge

Old May 5th 2005, 1:08 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
I get a fair few free ones a month so we never seem to cop them too much.

I have an account with HSBC but had language problems with the staff in a branch too far away just when you need them in person and they didn't understand basic finance terminology so we moved away once we didn't need their high interest account. If I was working directly in the CBD they might have become an option again.

badge
I have never found their in bank staff that great but I mainly deal online. I am in the unusual situation of having a branch near where I live and where I work.
Old May 5th 2005, 1:58 am
ABCDiamond

A report at this web site Flick Your Bank says the following:

Credit unions were clearly the best at keeping their customers satisfied, compared with all other institutions. Customers liked their credit union for low fees and good customer service across all three financial products.

On the other hand, respondents dealing with the four biggest banks (ANZ, COMMONWEALTH, NATIONAL and WESTPAC) were less happy across all three product areas, particularly for bank accounts and credit cards. Customers of the Big Four and other banks were also significantly more likely to have made a complaint than credit union customers.

Disappointingly, even when respondents were unhappy with their financial institution, they seemed reluctant to change their transaction account and credit card.

Old May 5th 2005, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Try using St George, they offer a MultiAccess card which acts like a credit card but comes directly from funds in your bank account. No charges for EFTPOS purchases, only for ATM withdrawels (I think you're allowed 4 free ATM transactions a month). With a bit of careful planning we've been with them 4 months and haven't paid a cent in charges so far.

I don't know how widespread their branch network is but they are pretty common throughout NSW.

We also had problems with HSBC. Staff lack knowledge of how their own banking system works and outside of the Sydney CBD branches are very hard to find. Call centre staff are obviously based offshore, their English was heavily accented and at times was impossible to understand. They also refer what would appear to be very simple queries to their supervisor, who is invariably unavailable and will ring you back some days later. In a word they were HOPELESS !
Old May 5th 2005, 2:17 am
Badge

Originally Posted by jerzy
Try using St George, they offer a MultiAccess card which acts like a credit card but comes directly from funds in your bank account. No charges for EFTPOS purchases, only for ATM withdrawels (I think you're allowed 4 free ATM transactions a month). With a bit of careful planning we've been with them 4 months and haven't paid a cent in charges so far.

I don't know how widespread their branch network is but they are pretty common throughout NSW.

We also had problems with HSBC. Staff lack knowledge of how their own banking system works and outside of the Sydney CBD branches are very hard to find. Call centre staff are obviously based offshore, their English was heavily accented and at times was impossible to understand. They also refer what would appear to be very simple queries to their supervisor, who is invariably unavailable and will ring you back some days later. In a word they were HOPELESS !
Interesting, I had the same experience - the staff got very quickly left behind.

Badge

Old May 5th 2005, 2:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jerzy
It helps with the HSBC if you speak Chinese
As we don't deal with the bank other than internet, we have no problems, but we also have a St George account, and are pretty happy with them also. Not many branches in QLD, but again not really required.

For anyone that doesn't know.. HSBC = Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation.

Old May 5th 2005, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgot to mention that there are no charges for internet transactions either, so pay your bills online, use BPAY, I work for them, it'll keep me in a job
Old May 5th 2005, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

cheers for all the advice.

Must admit we have'nt really had a lok into alternative accounts (we are with Commonwealth).

Don't think there are many branches of HSBC and the like around here.

Our main gripe is that there are charges for internet banking with our account. We pay them for doing it ourselves!

We'll have to have a shop-around.

One good thing though: We had gone overdrawn on our accounts that we had left 'dormant' from the last time we were in oz, due to bank charges accruing even though we were'nt using the accounts. Our bank manager said we could pay them off, or if we just left them they would get written off and it woul'dnt affect our credit rating, so we did the latter and got our debts written off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.