Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz Bank Account and Tax for New Arrivals

Oz Bank Account and Tax for New Arrivals

Old May 10th 2005, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oz Bank Account and Tax for New Arrivals

When you arrive ensure you tell your bank immediately you get the TFN from ATO or you will be hit with a 'TFN Withholding tax'. Also, ensure they have you down as PR or you get hit with 'NR withholding tax'.
Nicely explained on HSBC's site http://www.hsbc.com.au/commercial/government/index.html

Ian
Old May 11th 2005, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

colinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant future
Default Re: Oz Bank Account and Tax for New Arrivals

Originally Posted by ebo1608
When you arrive ensure you tell your bank immediately you get the TFN from ATO or you will be hit with a 'TFN Withholding tax'. Also, ensure they have you down as PR or you get hit with 'NR withholding tax'.
Nicely explained on HSBC's site http://www.hsbc.com.au/commercial/government/index.html

Ian
I've just got stung for that. I have never been asked for my TFN and have just been taxed 93% of my earned interest. So much for a high interest account

Colin
Old May 11th 2005, 12:37 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by colinmorgan
I've just got stung for that. I have never been asked for my TFN and have just been taxed 93% of my earned interest. So much for a high interest account

Colin
Don't panic too much, it will all get sorted out in the annual tax return

But 93% ?? How did they do that figure ?

Old May 11th 2005, 12:50 am
ABCDiamond

Tax rates on Bank Interest:

As a Permanent Resident with a TAX FILE Number, there will be No Tax deducted at source. However, this income will be added to your annual income at Tax Return time, and any tax due, will be collected then, at normal income tax rates.

If you do NOT quote your Tax File number, then Tax WILL be deducted at source at a current rate of 48.5%.
This tax paid will be credited into your Income Tax calculations at Tax time, and any overpayment will then be credited back to you, so that the end result is total tax paid being calculated at the correct tax band rate.

If you are a NON resident, and have notified the bank accordingly, then you will have 10% tax deducted from the interest.

Old May 11th 2005, 3:29 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i purposely haven't told them my TFN so that i get a nice lump sum at the end of the year (or if i owe tax like last year i have less to pay).
Old May 11th 2005, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

colinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Don't panic too much, it will all get sorted out in the annual tax return

But 93% ?? How did they do that figure ?
Not sure how they came to that figure, and the bank didn't know either. I could appeal, but I think I'll wait until the tax return.

Cheers

Colin
Old May 12th 2005, 3:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Tax rates on Bank Interest:

As a Permanent Resident with a TAX FILE Number, there will be No Tax deducted at source. However, this income will be added to your annual income at Tax Return time, and any tax due, will be collected then, at normal income tax rates.
I think this refers to Australian tax residency, not permanent residence in a migration sense (the two things are different).

If you are a NON resident, and have notified the bank accordingly, then you will have 10% tax deducted from the interest.

I understand the 10% NON-RESIDENT witholding tax can be included as a credit on your UK tax return.

Jeremy
Old May 12th 2005, 3:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colinmorgan
Not sure how they came to that figure, and the bank didn't know either. I could appeal, but I think I'll wait until the tax return.

Cheers

Colin
Who's "they".

If tax at more than 48.5% was witheld then it's the bank's problem and you need to sort it out with them. The bank ought to be able to explain exactly how the witholding tax was calculated as they are the ones that do the number crunching - not the ATO.

Jeremy
Old May 12th 2005, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Who's "they".

If tax at more than 48.5% was witheld then it's the bank's problem and you need to sort it out with them. The bank ought to be able to explain exactly how the witholding tax was calculated as they are the ones that do the number crunching - not the ATO.

Jeremy
Cheers Jeremy,

Spoke to the bank again, and they found another batch of interest paid into the account that was not showing on the internet. So it would be about right at 48.5%.

Thanks

Colin