Oz army JOE Day

Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:23 am
Visa Granted-MT Eliza 06

gladiatorjw will become famous soon enough
Default Oz army JOE Day

We fly out to Melbourne a week today and I have a (Joe Day) Australian Defence force Interview.Anyone on this site ever gone through this route or know of anyone that has. As I am a Fitter by trade I guessed it would be a good beginning for me to join the army as a civil as there are plenty of jobs etc. Also decent wages, and hopefully free or cheap housing. I guess this would give us the ideal start to life in Oz. I need luck and lots of it.
Also any recommendations of good hotels in Melbourne that will keep the kids and wife happy while I am at this interview. We are staying in Geelong for the 3 weeks validation .
Old Mar 15th 2005, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz army JOE Day

Originally Posted by gladiatorjw
We fly out to Melbourne a week today and I have a (Joe Day) Australian Defence force Interview.Anyone on this site ever gone through this route or know of anyone that has. As I am a Fitter by trade I guessed it would be a good beginning for me to join the army as a civil as there are plenty of jobs etc. Also decent wages, and hopefully free or cheap housing. I guess this would give us the ideal start to life in Oz. I need luck and lots of it.
Also any recommendations of good hotels in Melbourne that will keep the kids and wife happy while I am at this interview. We are staying in Geelong for the 3 weeks validation .
Don't know about working as a civil but i recently joined the Army Reserves and my interview was basically looking me up and down to make sure I had all me bits, no problem. I guess the only problem is if in the psych interview you keep asking when are you going to get your gun.

I'm a fitter as well and was surprised when they didn't try and talk me into joining their engineers.

Keel
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

FITCHETT FAMILY will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by keel
Don't know about working as a civil but i recently joined the Army Reserves and my interview was basically looking me up and down to make sure I had all me bits, no problem. I guess the only problem is if in the psych interview you keep asking when are you going to get your gun.

I'm a fitter as well and was surprised when they didn't try and talk me into joining their engineers.

Keel
Hi glad,
where did you find adverts for the job. I`m a fitter and would be interested in looking.
Cheers
Damian
Old Mar 15th 2005, 4:44 pm
Visa Granted-MT Eliza 06

The jobs are advertised on The Defence Forces
Originally Posted by FITCHETT FAMILY
http://defencejobs.gov.au/careers_explorer/default.html

All the info is there and they are advertising for Fitters in the army/navy/air force. I will post onto this site when we return to Uk in 3 weeks time.

Hi glad, where did you find adverts for the job. I`m a fitter and would be interested in looking.
Cheers
Damian
Old Mar 15th 2005, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi guys,

If you're fitters, try and go for RAEME, that's where the technical types go. RAE (Royal Australian Engineers) are basically civil engineers, bridge builders and construction type trades.

Army reserve will employ in whatever jobs the local unit do, try and get a transfer to RAEME if you can, you'll make much more use of your civvy skills there.

I'm in the process of transferring from British Army to Aus Army (REME to RAEME).

Good luck fellas.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:22 pm
Visa Granted-MT Eliza 06

Cheers for that NJK, you dont have a contact e-mail address or anytjing as I have searched Google and it keeps bringing up info but no contact info. If possible I would like to set up a meeting for next week while I am over there.

If you're fitters, try and go for RAEME, that's where the technical types go. RAE (Royal Australian Engineers) are basically civil engineers, bridge builders and construction type trades.

Army reserve will employ in whatever jobs the local unit do, try and get a transfer to RAEME if you can, you'll make much more use of your civvy skills there.

I'm in the process of transferring from British Army to Aus Army (REME to RAEME).

Good luck fellas.[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

FITCHETT FAMILY will become famous soon enough

hi lads,
R the jobs just for forces people or do they actually employ civillians. Not in army and have no intention of joining up but the work would interest me.
Cheers
Damian
Old Mar 16th 2005, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Gladiator,
try this link: http://www.defence.gov.au/army/apa_m/main.html it may provide further info for you.

Fitch, you can be employed as a civilian working for the army, but a lot of work is being contracted out to industry, so you may find jobs hard to come by within the defence force itself. Look here for info :

http://www.defence.gov.au/dcr/

Hope this helps

Nige
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:27 pm
Visa Granted-MT Eliza 06

Nige

Excellent, thanks very much.I have given them a mail with CV etc so hope to get a reply within the next few days.

Originally Posted by njk435
Gladiator,
try this link: http://www.defence.gov.au/army/apa_m/main.html it may provide further info for you.

Fitch, you can be employed as a civilian working for the army, but a lot of work is being contracted out to industry, so you may find jobs hard to come by within the defence force itself. Look here for info :

http://www.defence.gov.au/dcr/

Hope this helps

Nige