British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   OZ: 457 Visa - Asthma/Eczema an issue ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/oz-457-visa-asthma-eczema-issue-106901/)

pread Mar 8th 2002 4:05 pm

OZ: 457 Visa - Asthma/Eczema an issue ?

Myself and my wife have just had our x-rays, and the kids their medicals, prior to submitting our 457 Long Term Business Visa application. The only thing that showed up was that our 3 year old son had eczema for the first 2 years of his life, now cleared, and that he also suffers from breathing problems. This is in the form of Bronchial Asthma, which only pops up every 2 or 3 months, and is perfectly controllable with a nebuliser.

Does anyone know if either of these conditions in a child is likely to hold up or prevent a successful 457 application ?

Sandy Cruden Mar 9th 2002 8:56 am

Re: 457 Visa - Asthma/Eczema an issue ?

--

"pread" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Myself and my wife have just had our x-rays, and the kids their medicals, prior to
    > submitting our 457 Long Term Business Visa application. The only thing that showed
    > up was that our 3 year old son had eczema for the first 2 years of his life, now
    > cleared, and that he also suffers from breathing problems. This is in the form of
    > Bronchial Asthma, which only pops up every 2 or 3 months, and is perfectly
    > controllable with a nebuliser.
    >
    > Does anyone know if either of these conditions in a child is likely to hold up or
    > prevent a successful 457 application ?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Paul.

Hi Paul.

I cannot answer your 457 application question. However I think it should be pointed
out to you that Australia does have a very high incidence of asthma sufferers.
Children included. No one really knows why. As you say "control" is the important
word. It may pay to make some enquiries about this with your MD.

Good luck

Sandy

pread Mar 10th 2002 7:27 pm

Re: OZ: 457 Visa - Asthma/Eczema an issue ?

We did ask the panel doctor whose gave our son his medical (which took about 10 seconds) about the possibility that Asthma might be a problem regarding the visa. She didn't have a clue. But seeing as both Asthma or Eczema can start at pretty much any age, and stop as well, I really can't see that as being an issue. But if anyone has any different experiences out there...

Jacqui Mar 11th 2002 8:21 am

I don't think you need to worry Paul. We've just received our visas, despite a few medical "problems". At the medical I declared that I suffer from both hay fever and eczema, and my son has occasional eczema and asthma which requires him to use an inhaler night and day. He also has glue ear problems. Our other children also have had some minor "problems" which may recur, but like I said, we've received our visas ok, so I think Immigration are looking for major health worries, not common things like eczema and asthma.

onlyme Mar 11th 2002 10:47 am

Hi,

Dunno if this helps, but a friend of mine had a kidney transplant in the UK and was granted a PR visa 3 months after the op.

Good Luck,

pread Mar 11th 2002 10:55 am

Cheers Jacqui & onlyme, I feel fairly confident that these medical issues won't be a problem for the 457 visa, or subsequent PR application. I guess we'll soon find out enough anyway - we're submitting the 457 application this week, and Berlin reckon they have a processing time of 1-2 weeks !