Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz. $ is on a roll.

Wikiposts

Oz. $ is on a roll.

Old Jul 7th 2003, 1:42 pm
Keelie

Default Oz. $ is on a roll.

Ozzie. dollar closed at 68.06 US cents on Friday.
According to report, the Australian economy continues to enjoy the kind of healthy growth that other economies can only dream about.
Average growth per year since 1996 has been 4%, and the Australian economy is expected to outpace the economies of the U.S. Eurozone, and UK. this year and next.
That means a strong likelihood of further gains for the Aussie dollar in the next 12 to 18 months.
Little wonder foreign investors are flocking to Oz. in search of bigger returns.

The downside..(isn't there always one) the biggest impediment to Australia's strong growth trend is the country's crippling drought - the worst in a century.

Agriculture and Resource economics recently downgraded the country's commodity export earnings. That would be a 29% drop in farm production this year, which could in turn, strip a full 1% off the country's economic growth.

Old Jul 7th 2003, 1:47 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz. $ is on a roll.

Originally posted by Keelie
Ozzie. dollar closed at 68.06 US cents on Friday.

Agriculture and Resource economics recently downgraded the country's commodity export earnings. That would be a 29% drop in farm production this year, which could in turn, strip a full 1% off the country's economic growth.
The rubber dollar has its upside I still dream of getting the 2-1 to a pound that bought me here , looks like my boat may come in.

Old Jul 7th 2003, 2:23 pm
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by pommie bastard
The rubber dollar has its upside I still dream of getting the 2-1 to a pound that bought me here , looks like my boat may come in.

How much would it cost for you to put off your departure so we can get the $A back down again?

Old Jul 7th 2003, 2:26 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by The Tooth Fairy
How much would it cost for you to put off your departure so we can get the $A back down again?

Whats down for you is up for me , look I will not enjoy the fact even right now I am 25% down on the rate I bought in at , so its still has to get off it arse for me.

Old Jul 7th 2003, 9:37 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloody dollar. Does it know where to go...freefall?

Spot rate down to 0.666 USD.

Check Spot Rates
Old Jul 7th 2003, 10:21 pm
The Tooth Fairy

Drown. Little bastard will probably come up for air again soon.

Old Jul 7th 2003, 10:23 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Whats down for you is up for me , look I will not enjoy the fact even right now I am 25% down on the rate I bought in at , so its still has to get off it arse for me.

Looks like the BofE are under pressure to cut rates again. Good for PB, bad for people going out to Aussie..
Old Jul 7th 2003, 10:37 pm
Tez
Forum Regular

Tez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whos value the dollar rise???

I find it a bit over the top of how the media over here goes over board about the bouncing dollar.Having had a look at the forex charts from jan 03 the dollar has only risen about five or six pence to the pound(hardly anything to shout about)Meanwhile GPD was 2.86 in Jan 03 and is now 2.44.Thats what i call a fall......Just goes to show how the Aus dollar is valued as weak against the majors.The rise is really hurting exportors over here and it wont be to long before the money men pull ouy of the Aus dollar and it will plummet.........I Prey
Old Jul 7th 2003, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whos value the dollar rise???

Originally posted by Tez
I find it a bit over the top of how the media over here goes over board about the bouncing dollar.Having had a look at the forex charts from jan 03 the dollar has only risen about five or six pence to the pound(hardly anything to shout about)Meanwhile GPD was 2.86 in Jan 03 and is now 2.44.Thats what i call a fall......Just goes to show how the Aus dollar is valued as weak against the majors.The rise is really hurting exportors over here and it wont be to long before the money men pull ouy of the Aus dollar and it will plummet.........I Prey

T'is indeed rubber..... bounced again today. Will you pray for a swing or prey on the investors who may lose out? or both!

Attached Thumbnails Oz. $ is on a roll.-intraday.gif  
Old Jul 7th 2003, 11:19 pm
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by Tez
Sure you do not have it round the wrong way?

$US / GBP: 2003 Jan 3, 1.60; 2003 Jul 7, 1.65. 1.60 / 1.65 = 0.970
$AU / GBP: 3002 Jan 3, 2.86; 2003 Jul 7, 2.44. 2.86 / 2.44 = 1.172

The $US has weakened by 3% against the Pound.
The Pound has weakened by 17% against the $AU.

Old Jul 8th 2003, 4:10 am
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

Whats up with the old dollar now!
Halwood are indicating $2.48ish and up to $2.49. A strong bounce for the £! Any ideas? With a review of interest rates due on thursday I fnd this odd?

Dinky