Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

[Then he re-read the agreement for something and said Oh! we aren't allowed pets. 6 month rental inspection was due so another expat kindly offered to hide our puppy at her house for the day. So rental agency never new he existed. Was the chance they may have said that's fine but if they hadn't it was too late we'd bought him anyway.[/QUOTE]

A mate of mine got a puppy, whilst in a rental, where the contract specified no animals.
They were found out, breach of contract and given 2 weeks notice to move out!!
Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:48 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
[Then he re-read the agreement for something and said Oh! we aren't allowed pets. 6 month rental inspection was due so another expat kindly offered to hide our puppy at her house for the day. So rental agency never new he existed. Was the chance they may have said that's fine but if they hadn't it was too late we'd bought him anyway.
A mate of mine got a puppy, whilst in a rental, where the contract specified no animals.
They were found out, breach of contract and given 2 weeks notice to move out!![/QUOTE]

So, are the chances of finding rentals which take pets quite slim in Oz?? We're headed for Melbourne in Jan/Feb 07 and although we'll stay in furnished rentals for first couple of weeks while Sprocket is in quarantine, we'll need to find somewhere for when he gets out after is "stint inside".
D'you think I could have a rental lined up BEFORE we move over which would accept a dog? I've been to Melbourne before so I'd know the areas before anyone says anything. Just not sure how popular 'dog accepting' rentals are out there.
Cheers,
*pearly*
Old Oct 7th 2006, 11:09 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
I have, I do and there isn't.
You do have a massive property for them to be off leash on anyway, so be happy.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:00 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
You do have a massive property for them to be off leash on anyway, so be happy.
You would think so wouldn't you. One of the pros to buying the farm was exactly that, we were finding it so hard to let them off the leads anywhere the farm *seemed* like a good idea. Now we know just how foolish the whole idea was. We have Red bellied blacks by the basket full and some browns throwin in for good measure not to mention the massive pythons. We are in the bush and in a very high risk area for paralysis ticks. So no it's not a good place for the dogs and I would much rather be back in the midlands with hundreds of miles of excellent safe walks for them and our 15m X 15m SAFE back garden with the dogs than here in this flea, tick, snake and mossie infested place anyday.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 2:56 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

You would think so wouldn't you. One of the pros to buying the farm was exactly that, we were finding it so hard to let them off the leads anywhere the farm *seemed* like a good idea. Now we know just how foolish the whole idea was. We have Red bellied blacks by the basket full and some browns throwin in for good measure not to mention the massive pythons. We are in the bush and in a very high risk area for paralysis ticks. So no it's not a good place for the dogs and I would much rather be back in the midlands with hundreds of miles of excellent safe walks for them and our 15m X 15m SAFE back garden with the dogs than here in this flea, tick, snake and mossie infested place anyday.
Still here Arkon? How are the plans for moving back to the UK going?
Old Oct 7th 2006, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

We have Red bellied blacks by the basket full and some browns throwin in for good measure not to mention the massive pythons. We are in the bush and in a very high risk area for paralysis ticks. So no it's not a good place for the dogs and I would much rather be back in the midlands with hundreds of miles of excellent safe walks for them and our 15m X 15m SAFE back garden with the dogs than here in this flea, tick, snake and mossie infested place anyday.

Place still on the market then? Hope that it sells soon......those features shouldn't scare too many people off then
Old Oct 7th 2006, 7:27 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
They were found out, breach of contract and given 2 weeks notice to move out!!
So, are the chances of finding rentals which take pets quite slim in Oz?? We're headed for Melbourne in Jan/Feb 07 and although we'll stay in furnished rentals for first couple of weeks while Sprocket is in quarantine, we'll need to find somewhere for when he gets out after is "stint inside".
D'you think I could have a rental lined up BEFORE we move over which would accept a dog? I've been to Melbourne before so I'd know the areas before anyone says anything. Just not sure how popular 'dog accepting' rentals are out there.
Cheers,
*pearly*[/QUOTE]

Not sure about Melbourne but here in Sydney we've spent the last couple of weeks looking at rentals (including 8 yesterday...) and I would say that around 40% were obviously accepting pets... (dog/cat flaps or existing pets, etc...)

Rod
Old Oct 7th 2006, 8:18 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Rod,

and thanks for that. That sounds fairly promising.

*pearly*
Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not knock up a dog run in a safe area? You can do it far larger than 15x15. We have ticks and snakes, eps red bellies and browns too, but Frontline and care and attention is the bottom line. I put a link further up about how to dissuade snakes from your property. Have a read if you haven't already. You might get some ideas.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 3:50 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Still here Arkon? How are the plans for moving back to the UK going?
Still here, Still stuck and still hating it. It's about to go into summer and only gets worse!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Still here, Still stuck and still hating it. It's about to go into summer and only gets worse!
Arkon, I am actually really sorry to hear that It must be very frustrating for you.
Is there any way of improving the situation? Like doing things with the avocados/fruit/veg? Renting out the land/the whole place? Using it for movie sets?
Old Oct 8th 2006, 10:06 am
shoot from the hip,baby

Arkon,

Sell the house and land now. Buy something else which is EXACTLY where and what you want now. I'm sure your mind is made up so not even going to try and persuade you otherwise but I hope you know that things are viewed very differently when you move back to the UK. It's very unsettling. Taken me years to know whether I want Uk or Oz and even now I still put myself through so much deliberation as to where I REALLY want to live. I like Oz with all the good things from the Uk. I like the Uk but if only it were Oz.
So, we're just hoping to go out to Oz for a few years and enjoy that time. If we love it and we choose to stay then great, if not we'll come back. It's no great issue if you've done it once ( or twice ) already.
Just make the move and get on with living your life the way you want it.

*pearly*
Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:47 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by iPom
Why not knock up a dog run in a safe area? You can do it far larger than 15x15. We have ticks and snakes, eps red bellies and browns too, but Frontline and care and attention is the bottom line. I put a link further up about how to dissuade snakes from your property. Have a read if you haven't already. You might get some ideas.
Thanks IPom and I know your only trying to help but there is no such thing as a safe area. We have a moderately safe area where the back garden is and it's fenced off BUT I've still had 2 snakes in it and the dogs still get fleas and mossie bites. All I can do is not let them out without supervision and keep them plastered in chemicals.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:09 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Arkon,

Sell the house and land now. Buy something else which is EXACTLY where and what you want now. I'm sure your mind is made up so not even going to try and persuade you otherwise but I hope you know that things are viewed very differently when you move back to the UK. It's very unsettling. Taken me years to know whether I want Uk or Oz and even now I still put myself through so much deliberation as to where I REALLY want to live. I like Oz with all the good things from the Uk. I like the Uk but if only it were Oz.
So, we're just hoping to go out to Oz for a few years and enjoy that time. If we love it and we choose to stay then great, if not we'll come back. It's no great issue if you've done it once ( or twice ) already.
Just make the move and get on with living your life the way you want it.

*pearly*
The house and land has been up for sale for nearly a year now and still no luck selling it and that’s after reducing it in price by quite a large amount. I can't seem to even give it away. Believe me when it sells you won't see me for dust. As for all the reasons we left the UK, with hindsight and the benefit of living here for 2 years now. I've come to realise they were all rubbish reasons and mostly not really true. It's also amazing how much greener Australia was made to seem to us before we left and there was NOTHING anyone could have said bad about the place to stop us coming. Some of our misconceptions were:-

The heat, No problem its only for a couple of months a year. WRONG it is unbearable to go outside for between 4 and 6 months of the year. Exactly how much of the year in the UK is it unbearable to either go outside or work outside?

The Flies, No problem its only for a couple of weeks a year. WRONG it's for a good 3 or 4 months and all the swatting and being careful not to leave doors open does no good what so ever and plastering yourself in chemicals seems to do nothing more than make you unattractive to the opposite sex.

The mossies, No problem you just don't go out at dusk and dawn. WRONG there is no dusk or dawn, the sun falls from the sky faster than a whore drops her knickers. and as for dawn who want to be up at that early anyway. The only moderately mozzie free time of day is for about 5 hours a day and still you get bitten.

The poor shopping and choice, No problem as I don't like shopping anyway. WRONG sometimes you have to buy things and it would be nice to be able to buy them without hassle and have them last more than a few days before having to take them back.

A better place to raise children, WRONG, the education is substandard and there are more things to do them harm here than there ever was back home. 80% of 10 year olds have retina damage and I couldn't even guess at what damage the sun does to their skin. Then there is the huge rate of teenage suicide and depression. Then what future do they really have? I don’t feel I’ve done my boy any favours by being here where any future career is involved.

I could go on but it just depresses me to think that when all my friends back home were trying to talk me out of coming here by highlighting all the negatives I just ignored them and was convinced I could live with all the little negative niggles. How wrong I was.

Anyway thanks again everyone for your support and believe me we are trying as hard as we can to buy our way out of the mess we got ourselves into.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The house and land has been up for sale for nearly a year now ........ I can't seem to even give it away. .

Oh all right then, u can give it to me....I'll even pay the stamp duty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.