Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

And despite all this, so far our dog hasn't needed a trip to the vet apart from when she came out of the kennels and she had kennel cough. I think as long as you take good care of your pet, you should be fine.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Mike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to behold

Re-the last post. If your reading this in the UK you must make sure that the leptospirosis element is NOT part of your dogs annual booster for at least nine months before departure (we nearly fell foul of this because of @crossed wires' at uor UK vets!). They do a blood test ten days before flying and if there is a trace of this you will not be able to ship your dog.

Talk to a pet courier EARLY. Bringing your dog isn't that complicated if you engage a good pet courier but you need to start doing that long ahead of some of your own (human) admin stuff!

Good luck
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:02 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mike H
Re-the last post. If your reading this in the UK you must make sure that the leptospirosis element is NOT part of your dogs annual booster for at least nine months before departure (we nearly fell foul of this because of @crossed wires' at uor UK vets!). They do a blood test ten days before flying and if there is a trace of this you will not be able to ship your dog.

Talk to a pet courier EARLY. Bringing your dog isn't that complicated if you engage a good pet courier but you need to start doing that long ahead of some of your own (human) admin stuff!

Good luck
Good advice, getting past quarantine seems nearly as fraught with danger as the perils of Aus.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
You just made my skin crawl with those pics
Mandy
You have to be carefull when buying the sprays as some don't cover paralysis tick.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:30 pm
looking for an easy life!

IanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to all
Smile Re: Owning a DOG in Aus!!! it's not always as easy as the UK.

I am a vet nurse in the UK. We are moving out with our dog in may 2008. Over in the uk the licsencing rules at the moment are any strong flea treatment like frontline, stronghold(which treats heart worm) and others you can only buy from your vets and anything you get from the supermarket and pet shops are not strong enough to have any effect on the problem you are treating for( like bob martins). At the moment this is being changed. Is this the same in OZ??

Also just a quick note we do have lots of problems in england with animal fatalities in the uk but these are thing like chocolate, daf balbs , grapes/rasins, snake bites, bee strings, onions, rat posion etc so I am not really that worried for my little dog are she is more food obsessed and not worried about all the little creatures.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Can anyone please tell me about the 2 dog permit rule in WA - We want to be fairly rural (not in housing estate areas) does this still apply, don't mean to hijak the thread, just thought I may have a captive audience on this thread LOL

Wendy
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marvinc
Can anyone please tell me about the 2 dog permit rule in WA - We want to be fairly rural (not in housing estate areas) does this still apply, don't mean to hijak the thread, just thought I may have a captive audience on this thread LOL

Wendy
Will probably depend on the local council and the size of the block. We are currently limited to 2 animals but are moving to a 5 acre block in a different council area and are allowed 4 dogs and 4 cats.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by IanJakeCharlieDaddy
I am a vet nurse in the UK. We are moving out with our dog in may 2008. Over in the uk the licsencing rules at the moment are any strong flea treatment like frontline, stronghold(which treats heart worm) and others you can only buy from your vets and anything you get from the supermarket and pet shops are not strong enough to have any effect on the problem you are treating for( like bob martins). At the moment this is being changed. Is this the same in OZ??

Also just a quick note we do have lots of problems in england with animal fatalities in the uk but these are thing like chocolate, daf balbs , grapes/rasins, snake bites, bee strings, onions, rat posion etc so I am not really that worried for my little dog are she is more food obsessed and not worried about all the little creatures.
You can buy proper Frontline over the counter here and the proper wormer stuff in saddleries and chemists here. Know what you mean about raisins we had a dog have severe reaction to raisins once keeled over for 15 minutes covered in massive hives and breathless rang vets who said just watch her she'll be fine... 15 mins late up she hopped as if nothing had happened, never had xmas cake crumbs ever again.

Not sure about 2 dogs thing as we only have one.