Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Overwhelmed - need some advice

Overwhelmed - need some advice

Old Jul 20th 2016, 5:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overwhelmed - need some advice

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
My Australian wife is a CPA.

I'm tefloning this one the BS as she is eminently qualified to give the low down on this from the perspective of both countries.
You mean BermudaShorts, not "BS", right?
Old Jul 20th 2016, 5:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Often known as BS around these parts .......she's definitely the one for this thread, with experience in both countries
Old Jul 20th 2016, 5:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Often known as BS around these parts .....she's definitely the one for this thread, with experience in both countries
Any thread on BE can be spiced up with a little BS.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

If, as you say now, your wife is a qualified accountant (forget the part-qualified managEment accountancy angle), then you're nuts to be considering anything other than a skilled visa. I believe that qualified accountants can currently get skilled visas without any experience.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, BermudaShorts is whom I meant.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bwhittaker

1. any areas that are more focused on IT than rather lets sayt manufacture and mining (im looking at you Perth)

2. any nice places 1 hourish drive from a large (said above) city?

thanks
Yeah. Melbourne and Sydney but you don't want to live there. There's also Brisbane but I wouldn't recommend it as I think its a dump. Others will disagree with that synopsis.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 11:07 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
There's also Brisbane but I wouldn't recommend it as I think its a dump. Others will disagree with that synopsis.

Nope, that sums it up pretty well.

S
Old Jul 21st 2016, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bwhittaker
This discussion has gone way into the realm in the previous 3 or 4 posts from people who actually have no idea how accountancy qualifications work or how they are gained. (sparkles post was useful)

She is a qualified accountant

she is not a qualified MANAGMENT accountant that requires a CIMA qualification....

none of my questions have been answered rather ive just been told where nto good enough - which is fine im not angry nore am i disagreeing

however my initial questions would be highly useful to me

1. any areas that are more focused on IT than rather lets sayt manufacture and mining (im looking at you Perth)

2. any nice places 1 hourish drive from a large (said above) city?

thanks
Oh dear. This post shows that it is you that has no idea how accountancy works.

One qualifies as an accountant, usually with ICAEW, ACCA or CIMA. One does not qualify as an accountant and then go on to qualify as a management accountant. Management accountancy just means the job involves provision of commercial information to the business rather than production of statutory accounts for shareholders and Companies House. A qualified accountant is equipped to do either, may be responsible for both and certainly one does not have to be CIMA qualified to do management accounting!

So is she qualified or part qualified. You opened by saying a migration agent said skilled visa was not an option as she is not qualified and that she is two thirds of the way through her exams - so I will assume that she is indeed only part qualified.

I think you are too blasé about her prospects, yes accountant positions occur in most cities and yes companies take on part qualified accountants. But you should not assume that this will be easy, there is a massive over supply of accountants in Australia. A UK qualified accountant with a permanent visa and solid track record has a chance. But a two thirds UK qualified accountant on a WHV is not an attractive employment prospect.

The PQ positions will go to people that the company feel they can train and progress - not to holiday makers that are two thirds of the way through a different set of exams and are limited to six months with each employer. Sponsorship is absolutely out of the question if she is part qualified. With the oversupply mentioned there is no way this is ever going to get through immigration, I don't think any company would even try. They don't need to.

I feel that your girlfriend is going to shoot herself in the foot by relocating mid way through the qualification. It will disrupt her studies, her training record and she could struggle to get back on track when you leave at the end of your WHV. I would implore her to stay put until she is fully qualified.

I know you are looking for recommendations on area, but there are lots of nice places an hour from a city and in any case it is moot as at the moment there does not appear to be any way you will be able to stay. This is nothing to do with not being "good" enough but certainly currently she is not "qualified" enough.

I cannot comment on your prospects of sponsorship, other than I don't think there are any particular shortages in IT either.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jul 21st 2016 at 6:18 am. Reason: Grammar
Old Jul 21st 2016, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is me, BS. An ill thought through username on my part.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 6:52 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Perhaps not as badly thought through as mine which shortens to SOB

Sorry, I have nothing useful to add to the thread.....
Old Jul 21st 2016, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
Perhaps not as badly thought through as mine which shortens to SOB

Sorry, I have nothing useful to add to the thread.....
I raise a smile when people ask about the SOL list. I'm sure it stands for Shit Out of Luck
Old Jul 21st 2016, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Bill Shorten said the same thing.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 4:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a tad confused by your initial post. You say you are going to sell up and move over for a year to look for sponsorship. What visa would that be on? If you're talking about a WHV then you won't be having kids any time soon. If you come on a WHV you obviously need to get here in the next year (depending when your 30th birthday is) or at least apply for the visa but then your partner will only be part qualified so you won't find anyone to sponsor her in order for you to get PR. Am I missing something?
Old Jul 28th 2016, 4:38 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Whilst it may work that way in general, I'm not sure that when it comes to being sponsored you will be able to convince DIBP that you would have the skills to do the job which you would still need to do even if you don't have to have a full skills assessment.

Another consideration is that a sponsored visa is only temporary. If at any time whilst sponsored you lose your job, you have 90 days to find another employer willing and able to sponsor you or leave the country.

Again, if this is the long term goal then the best option is to complete the required qualifications and aim for a permanent visa

(and it is visa. VISA would be a credit card)
er....thats Visa.
VISA (all capitalised) is an acronym for Vehicle Information Support Advocate
Old Jul 28th 2016, 4:43 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
er....thats Visa.
VISA (all capitalised) is an acronym for Vehicle Information Support Advocate
Looks like VISA to me
Attached Thumbnails Overwhelmed - need some advice-visa.gif   Overwhelmed - need some advice-old_visa_logo_svg.png  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.